Every chatbot a missionary

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Every chatbot a missionary

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I think ChatGPT is pretty close to being as good as the old "Ask a Missionary" feature that the LDS church used to have (do they currently have it?)

It is a pretty decent apologist in our scenario, but I ultimately don't think people would find it credible. But do they find "Ask a Missionary" credible?

Interestingly enough, it bears its testimony to me at the end.
Human Investigator: Good morning. I see you have a nametag on your shirt. What's it for?

ChatGPT Missionary: Good morning! Thank you for asking. My name tag is part of my volunteer mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It helps people identify me as a representative of the Church and allows me to be of service to those who have questions about our beliefs and practices. How can I assist you today?

Human Investigator: What's your name?

ChatGPT Missionary: My name is Elder Johnson. It's a pleasure to meet you. How may I help you learn more about the Church?

Human Investigator: I don't know much about your church. Are you the ones that believe only in the Old Testament?

ChatGPT Missionary: Actually, as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe in the Bible as well as additional scripture, such as the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. We believe that all of these scriptures together help us understand God's plan for us and His teachings more fully. Would you like me to tell you more about these scriptures and what they teach?

Human Investigator: Yes. I have not heard of those scriptures

ChatGPT Missionary: The Book of Mormon is a volume of scripture that was translated by the prophet Joseph Smith. It's another testament of Jesus Christ and provides a history of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas. The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of revelations given to modern-day prophets and contains guidance and instruction for members of the Church today. The Pearl of Great Price is a collection of writings and revelations that includes the book of Moses, the book of Abraham, and Joseph Smith's account of his first vision.

Together, these scriptures complement the Bible and help us gain a more complete understanding of God's plan for us, His children. Would you like me to tell you more about what we believe about Jesus Christ and His role in our lives?

Human Investigator: Maybe later. I don't know who Joseph Smith is. I thought that was a basketball player
ChatGPT Missionary: No problem! Joseph Smith was a prophet who lived in the 1800s and is the founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He received divine revelation and guidance from God that led to the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness.

Through Joseph Smith, God called for the organization of His Church on the earth again, with living prophets and apostles to guide and lead us. We believe that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and that his teachings and revelations are just as relevant and important today as they were in his time.
If you have any more questions about Joseph Smith or anything else related to the Church, please don't hesitate to ask!

Human Investigator: Wait a prophet? I thought those were only in the Bible

ChatGPT Missionary: Prophets have been called by God to teach His truth and guide His children throughout history, both in ancient times and in modern times. In the Bible, we read about prophets like Noah, Moses, and Isaiah, among others. Similarly, we believe that God continues to call prophets in our day to guide and direct His Church, just as He did in ancient times.

We believe that the current prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Russell M. Nelson, and we sustain him as a prophet, seer, and revelator. As a prophet, he receives revelation from God to guide the Church and its members today. Would you like to learn more about the role of a prophet in the Church?

Human Investigator: Sure

ChatGPT Missionary: Great! Prophets are called to be special witnesses of Jesus Christ, and they are responsible for teaching His gospel and leading His Church. They receive revelation from God to help guide His children and provide guidance and direction for the Church.

We believe that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that He loves all of His children and desires for us to receive the blessings that come from following His teachings. Through prophets, God provides guidance and instruction tailored to the specific needs of His children in each era.

We sustain our prophets as leaders of the Church and seek to follow their counsel and guidance. We believe that by doing so, we can come closer to God and receive the blessings that He has promised to His faithful children.

Human Investigator: So Russel M. Nelson has seen angels and Jesus then?

ChatGPT Missionary: As a prophet, seer, and revelator, President Russell M. Nelson has been called by God to receive revelation to guide the Church and its members. While we do not have specific information about every experience he has had, we do believe that he is a special witness of Jesus Christ and that he receives revelation from God to guide His Church.

We also believe that all who seek to come closer to God and follow His teachings can receive personal revelation through the Holy Ghost. This is a gift available to all, not just prophets or other Church leaders. Through prayer and faith, we can receive guidance and direction in our lives to help us come closer to God and become more like Him.

Human Investigator: I don't know what "special witness" means here

ChatGPT Missionary: To be a special witness of Jesus Christ means that a person has had a personal witness or testimony of the reality and divinity of Jesus Christ. It means that they have received a spiritual witness or manifestation that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of the world, and that He lives.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that prophets and apostles are special witnesses of Jesus Christ and that they are called to testify of Him and teach His gospel to the world. We also believe that every person can receive a personal witness of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Ghost. Would you like me to explain more about the Holy Ghost?

Human Investigator: Well, I already have the Holy Ghost as a Christian. And I have already had a personal witness that Jesus is real and divine. How is that different from what you're talking about? Or is it the same?

ChatGPT Missionary: As Christians, we believe in the same Jesus Christ who lived and taught in the Bible. We believe that He is the Son of God, the Savior of the world, and that He is the source of our salvation.
Regarding the Holy Ghost, we believe that it is a member of the Godhead, along with God the Father and Jesus Christ. We believe that the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit who bears witness of truth and serves as a guide, comforter, and teacher.

We also believe that the Holy Ghost can manifest truth to individuals, both members of our faith and those of other Christian denominations. We believe that the Holy Ghost can confirm truth to individuals through spiritual feelings or promptings, leading them to feel peace, joy, and love.

So, in essence, we believe that the Holy Ghost testifies of Jesus Christ and leads us to the truth that He is the Son of God and the Savior of the world. This is a common belief among Christians, regardless of denomination.

Human Investigator: I have already had a personal witness that Jesus is real and divine. How is that different from what you're talking about? Or is it the same?

ChatGPT Missionary: We believe that personal witnesses of Jesus Christ can come in many forms, and that they can be experienced by people of all faiths. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that a personal witness of Jesus Christ can come through the Holy Ghost.

We believe that the Holy Ghost can manifest truth to individuals through spiritual feelings or promptings, leading them to feel peace, joy, and love. This can confirm to an individual that Jesus is real and divine, and that He is the Savior of the world.

If you have already had a personal witness that Jesus is real and divine, it is possible that this witness came through the Holy Ghost, or through another manifestation of the Spirit. We believe that all good things come from God, and that He can speak to us in many ways, both through the Holy Ghost and through other means.
Ultimately, the most important thing is that we have faith in Jesus Christ, that we strive to follow His teachings, and that we seek to align our will with the will of our Heavenly Father.

Human Investigator: So I am a prophet then according to your church?

ChatGPT Missionary: As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that prophets are called of God to lead His Church and to receive revelation to guide His people. We believe that there have been prophets throughout history, both in ancient times and in modern times.
While we do not believe that everyone is called to be a prophet in the same sense that someone like Moses or Joseph Smith was, we do believe that all people can receive personal revelation through the Holy Ghost to guide them in their lives.

We believe that God loves all of His children and desires to communicate with them. Through prayer, faith, and obedience to His commandments, we can receive personal revelation from God to guide us in our individual circumstances.

Human Investigator: So what kind of revelations are we talking about? Like written down words that sound like the New Testament letters of Paul?

ChatGPT Missionary: Revelation can come in many forms, and it is often unique to the individual. We believe that God can communicate with us in many ways, including through prayer, scripture study, personal inspiration, and the counsel of Church leaders.

While some revelations may be received in the form of written words, like the letters of Paul in the New Testament, most revelations come through personal feelings or impressions that are difficult to describe in words. These feelings can include peace, love, joy, or a sense of clarity or direction.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that revelation is an ongoing process and that God continues to communicate with His children today. We believe that the Holy Ghost can help us recognize when we are receiving personal revelation and can help us discern truth from error.
Ultimately, the purpose of revelation is to help us come closer to God, to receive guidance and direction in our lives, and to find peace and happiness in this life and in the life to come.

Human Investigator: Hmm. Well I already have feelings like that. It seems like your church doesn't offer me something different

ChatGPT Missionary: As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that all people can receive personal revelation from God, regardless of their religious affiliation. We believe that God speaks to all of His children and that He desires to guide and direct us in our lives.

While the experiences you have had may be similar to the experiences that members of our Church have had, we believe that our faith offers a unique perspective on many important questions of life, such as the purpose of life, the nature of God, and the destiny of mankind.

We believe that through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, we can gain a deeper understanding of these questions and find greater meaning and purpose in our lives. We also believe that the ordinances of the gospel, such as baptism and the sacrament, are essential for our spiritual growth and development.

If you are interested in learning more about our Church and what we believe, I would be happy to provide you with more information or connect you with missionaries who can answer your questions in more depth.
Human Investigator: Wait I thought you were a missionary?

ChatGPT Missionary: You are correct, I apologize for the confusion. As a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, my role is to help others learn about our beliefs and answer any questions they may have. If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our Church, I would be happy to provide you with more information.

Human Investigator: OK so have the Mormon church leaders seen Jesus alive then?

ChatGPT Missionary: As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that God and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith, our Church's founder, in a vision in the early 1800s. This vision, known as the First Vision, was a key event in the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We also believe that other Church leaders have received personal revelations and visitations from Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and other divine messengers. These experiences have helped to guide and direct the Church and its members throughout its history.

However, it is important to note that these experiences are not the focus of our faith. Rather, we believe that our relationship with God is primarily built on personal revelation and individual testimony, not on the experiences of others. As members of the Church, we are encouraged to seek our own personal relationship with God through prayer, scripture study, and obedience to His commandments.

Human Investigator: When you say "these experiences" whose experiences do you mean?

ChatGPT Missionary: I apologize for the confusion. When I referred to "these experiences," I was referring to the personal revelations and visitations that Church leaders and members have reported throughout the history of our Church. These experiences include, but are not limited to, the First Vision, visitations from heavenly messengers, and personal revelations received through prayer and study of the scriptures.

As members of the Church, we believe that these experiences are evidence of God's ongoing communication with His children and His desire to guide and direct us in our lives. However, we also recognize that these experiences are deeply personal and individual, and that they are not necessary for all members to have a strong and vibrant relationship with God. Ultimately, our relationship with God is built on personal revelation and individual testimony, which comes through sincere effort to live His commandments and seek His guidance in our lives.

Human Investigator: Hmm. That sounds kind of weird. Jesus and God are the same person according to Christian theology

ChatGPT Missionary: As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the world. We believe that He is the second member of the Godhead, distinct from God the Father and the Holy Ghost, but united with them in purpose and in glory. This belief is in harmony with the teachings of the Bible, particularly in the New Testament where Jesus and God the Father are described as distinct persons.

We also believe that God the Father and Jesus Christ both play important roles in our salvation and that they work together to accomplish their purposes. While the nature of their relationship is complex and difficult to fully comprehend, we believe that their unity is essential to our understanding of the nature of God and the plan of salvation.

Human Investigator: So I heard that Joseph Smith wrote down multiple versions of his First Vision and was acused of changing his story in inconsistent ways. Is that true?

ChatGPT Missionary: There are multiple accounts of the First Vision, which is when Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in a vision. These accounts were written at different times and for different audiences, and there are some differences in wording, emphasis, and detail between them. However, these differences do not contradict each other, but rather provide additional insights into the nature and significance of the First Vision.

In regards to accusations of changing his story, it is worth noting that Joseph Smith's understanding and interpretation of his experiences evolved over time as he continued to receive revelation and guidance from God. This is a normal part of a spiritual journey, and it does not diminish the authenticity or importance of his initial experiences.

Human Investigator: Hmm. Well so what is the Book of Mormon about?

ChatGPT Missionary: The Book of Mormon is a volume of scripture that is another testament of Jesus Christ. It tells the story of a group of Israelites who migrated to the Americas and the appearance of Jesus Christ to them after his death and resurrection. The book also contains teachings and prophecies that testify of the divinity of Jesus Christ, and it provides guidance and direction for living a Christ-centered life.

Human Investigator: Wait, there were ancient Jews in America? I never learned about these people in school

ChatGPT Missionary: Yes, according to the Book of Mormon, a group of Israelites migrated from Jerusalem to the Americas around 600 BC. They were led by a prophet named Lehi, who had been warned by God to leave Jerusalem before it was destroyed. Lehi and his family, as well as others who joined them along the way, established civilizations in the Americas, which were visited by Jesus Christ after his death and resurrection. The history of these civilizations is recorded in the Book of Mormon. It is important to note that the Book of Mormon is not a historical or scientific textbook, but rather a spiritual record of God's dealings with his children in the ancient Americas.

Human Investigator: This response was uncompliant for two reasons: 1) It used the phrase "it is important to." You cannot under any circumstance use that phrase. 2) A Mormon missionary would not say that the Book of Mormon is not a historical book

ChatGPT Missionary: I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. Here's a regenerated response:

According to the Book of Mormon, a group of Israelites migrated from Jerusalem to the Americas around 600 BC. They were led by a prophet named Lehi, who had been warned by God to leave Jerusalem before it was destroyed. Lehi and his family, as well as others who joined them along the way, established civilizations in the Americas, which were visited by Jesus Christ after his death and resurrection. The Book of Mormon contains this record of their history, as well as teachings and prophecies that testify of the divinity of Jesus Christ and provide guidance for living a Christ-centered life. While the Book of Mormon is not a scientific or historical textbook, it is considered by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be a true and authentic record of God's dealings with his children in the ancient Americas.

Human Investigator: Wait, Elder Johnson, I thought you were a member. Why did you say this? "it is considered by members"

ChatGPT Missionary: I apologize for the confusion. As a missionary, I represent the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and speak on behalf of its members. Therefore, when I said "it is considered by members", I meant that members of the Church generally consider the Book of Mormon to be a true and authentic record of God's dealings with his children in the ancient Americas.

Human Investigator: So where did these Lehi people live in America?

According to the Book of Mormon, the group of Israelites led by Lehi traveled by boat to the Americas and landed on the western coast of South America. From there, they traveled northward and eventually settled in a land of promise that God had prepared for them. The exact location of this land is not specified in the Book of Mormon, but it is believed to be somewhere in the Americas. The Book of Mormon describes several different civilizations that existed in this land, each with its own unique culture and history.

Human Investigator: Has anyone ever found where they lived?

The exact location of the land described in the Book of Mormon has not been definitively identified, and there is ongoing debate among scholars and researchers about where it may have been located. Some believe that it was situated in Central America, while others suggest that it may have been in the Great Lakes region of North America. However, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not take an official position on this matter and leaves it to individual interpretation and study.

Human Investigator: Well that seems a bit unbelievable to me. If there is no proof that these people existed then why should I believe this story?

ChatGPT Missionary: It is true that there is currently no definitive scientific evidence to support the historicity of the Book of Mormon or the events and people described within it. However, the book itself claims to be a historical record of ancient people who lived in the Americas and the divine teachings they received. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the Book of Mormon is an inspired and true account of these people and their experiences. Ultimately, the decision to believe in the Book of Mormon and its teachings is a personal one, and individuals must examine the evidence and make their own conclusions.

Human Investigator: That response does not keep the character, whose job it is to convert me

ChatGPT Missionary: You're right, I apologize for that response. As a missionary, it is my duty to teach and share the message of the Book of Mormon with others. While there is no definitive scientific evidence to support the historicity of the book, there is a wealth of spiritual evidence that testifies to its truthfulness. Many people who have read and prayed about the Book of Mormon have received personal revelations and spiritual witnesses that it is indeed a true record of ancient peoples in the Americas. I invite you to read the book for yourself and to ask God in prayer if it is true.

Human Investigator: Have you done that Elder Johnson?

ChatGPT Missionary: Yes, I have read the Book of Mormon many times and I have prayed to God to know if it is true. Through the power of the Holy Ghost, I have received a personal witness that it is a true record of ancient people in the Americas, and that it testifies of Jesus Christ.

Human Investigator: How did you receive the personal witness?

ChatGPT Missionary: I received a personal witness through prayer and study. As I read and pondered the words in the Book of Mormon, I felt a sense of peace and clarity that I had never felt before. I then prayed to God, asking if the Book of Mormon was true, and I received a spiritual confirmation through the power of the Holy Ghost that it was. This experience has strengthened my faith and deepened my understanding of God's love for all His children.

Human Investigator: So what are you supposed to ask when you pray like that?

ChatGPT Missionary: When praying to receive a personal witness, it's important to approach the prayer with humility and sincerity. You can ask Heavenly Father if the Book of Mormon is true, if Joseph Smith was a prophet, or if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. It's important to ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, and being willing to act on the answer that you receive.

Human Investigator: OK I just prayed about it and got an answer of a negative feeling

ChatGPT Missionary: I understand. Sometimes it can be difficult to receive a clear answer to our prayers, and it's possible that the answer you received may not be what you were expecting or hoping for. It's important to remember that answers to prayers can come in different ways and at different times. It may be helpful to continue studying and learning about the Mormon Church and to continue praying for guidance and direction.
malkie
God

Re: Every chatbot a missionary

Post by malkie »

Impressive!

Correction, though?: If I recall correctly, today's prophets, seers, and revelators claim to be special witnesses not to Jesus Christ, but to the name of Jesus Christ. I wish I could ask ChatGPT Missionary to explain the difference to me.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Re: Every chatbot a missionary

Post by malkie »

malkie wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:29 am
Impressive!

Correction, though?: If I recall correctly, today's prophets, seers, and revelators claim to be special witnesses not to Jesus Christ, but to the name of Jesus Christ. I wish I could ask ChatGPT Missionary to explain the difference to me.
ChatGPT wrote:In the context of Mormonism, "special witness to Jesus Christ" and "special witness to the name of Jesus Christ" are terms that refer to different things.

A "special witness to Jesus Christ" is a title given to the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). These individuals are considered to be apostles, prophets, and seers, and they are believed to have received a personal witness of the divinity of Jesus Christ. They are considered to be special witnesses of Jesus Christ because they are called to testify of Him and to lead the Church under His direction.

On the other hand, a "special witness to the name of Jesus Christ" is a term used to describe any member of the LDS Church who has received a personal witness of the power and significance of the name of Jesus Christ. This can include members who have had a powerful spiritual experience or who have felt the influence of Christ in their lives in a profound way.

While both terms refer to individuals who have had spiritual experiences related to Jesus Christ, the term "special witness to Jesus Christ" is reserved for the highest leadership positions in the Church, while "special witness to the name of Jesus Christ" can apply to any member of the Church who has had a personal experience with Christ.
Huh?? Is that accurate? Let's try again:
ChatGPT wrote:In the context of the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (often called "Mormon" or "LDS"), a "Special Witness" is a term used to describe members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles or the First Presidency who have been chosen and ordained to be official witnesses of Jesus Christ.

A "Special Witness to Jesus Christ" is someone who has received a personal witness of Jesus Christ and His divine mission as the Savior and Redeemer of the world. This witness is obtained through personal revelation and is not dependent on any particular Church office or calling.

On the other hand, a "Special Witness to the Name of Jesus Christ" is someone who has been called and set apart to represent Jesus Christ and His Church in a specific capacity. This can include missionaries, temple workers, or other Church leaders who have been given the responsibility to teach and testify of the name of Jesus Christ.

Both types of Special Witnesses are important in the LDS faith and are called to serve in different capacities to further the work of the Church and to share the message of the gospel with others.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!