Mormon Sets Himself On Fire At Berkley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Mormon Sets Himself On Fire At Berkley

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

The church is sure getting a lot of great publicity lately:
"Apparently he was shouting 'Mormon Mafia' and, when I ran up to try to put out the fire, he was running away from us and pushing us away," she said. "I could feel the heat coming off of him and I saw his skin and clothes burn off."

Diao said she also hoped the man would get the help he needed.

There were reports of papers that were scattered around the area as well as a possible manifesto. Some of the papers listed a website with references to Utah and the Mormon church, along with a number of observations that appear to reflect intense paranoia.
https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/03 ... oul-plaza/

Reddit is reporting that this is one of the papers scattered around the scene:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mormon Sets Himself On Fire At Berkley

Post by Kishkumen »

Looks like another tragic case of untreated or inadequately treated mental illness.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Re: Mormon Sets Himself On Fire At Berkley

Post by drumdude »

It doesn’t help that Mormonism does operate very similarly to a mafia. Defined as “ a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.”

Accurately describes the Mormon leaders at the top of the hierarchy.