Mormon assertions that science can't touch their truth claims

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Mormon assertions that science can't touch their truth claims

Post by drumdude »

I forgot to do my daily scientism prayers and pay my tithing to the Richard Dawkins fund for eating babies and wearing horns.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:38 pm

I guess it’s what you get when you combine the placebo effect with confirmation bias.
Sadly, leaving religion won't change that.

Most people will continue to believe stuff because of confirmation bias.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:38 pm

I guess it’s what you get when you combine the placebo effect with confirmation bias.

Yes, everyone has confirmation bias, that's not the evil. The evil is letting it run amok without any effort to try and control it through attempting tto legitimately see all sides and weigh the differences. Sometimes this takes a ton of work, so it's easier to go with the flow. I know, I do it all the time, and have to force myself to take a time out and re-look, re-think, and re-align with the evidence as I see and hear of it happening.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:29 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:30 pm

Yes, everyone has confirmation bias, that's not the evil. The evil is letting it run amok without any effort to try and control it through attempting tto legitimately see all sides and weigh the differences. Sometimes this takes a ton of work, so it's easier to go with the flow. I know, I do it all the time, and have to force myself to take a time out and re-look, re-think, and re-align with the evidence as I see and hear of it happening.
I agree — evil doesn’t enter the equation. The best method that I know of is a Buddy system, where each Buddy watches the other for confirmation bias and the buddies respect each other enough to listen without becoming defensive. It’s discussed in the excellent book Calling BS.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

You can't verify if an angel visits somebody. You can, however, test the validity of what that angel says to them.