Everyone needs help here

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Everyone needs help here

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa just said, "Log off and get to work finding a qualified therapist and making an appointment ASAP".

Everyone here is obsessed about Mormonism, that's bad!

What the church chooses to do is "none of your goddamned business".
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Everyone needs help here

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Gotta open that third eye my dude and get with the program.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

OP is accurate. Everyone who finds himself or herself spending time passing through or attempting to block the exits of the transitionary stages of Mormonism, is in need of therapy.

De facto.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:30 am
OP is accurate. Everyone who finds himself or herself spending time passing through or attempting to block the exits of the transitionary stages of Mormonism, is in need of therapy.

De facto.
I have few regrets. One is that I didn’t get therapy during my transition out of Mormonism. At that time, I don’t think people have the understanding of that need like they do today.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Most of us could use good therapy, but good therapy is difficult to find. My best therapist worked at BYU. Guy was a therapeutic genius. The only therapist I have consulted who was truly helpful. I owe this person so much and hold him in the highest regard. He was an active LDS man, and he was a giant among mere mortals.

ETA: I just found out that he passed away in 2020 at much too young an age. Perhaps his death was COVID-19-related. Sad news for many.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:54 pm
Most of us could use good therapy, but good therapy is difficult to find. My best therapist worked at BYU. Guy was a therapeutic genius. The only therapist I have consulted who was truly helpful. I owe this person so much and hold him in the highest regard. He is/was an active LDS man, and he is/was a giant among mere mortals.
The analogy (metaphor?) that I often use is that therapy is in some ways as much an art form as it is a science. As such, it is important to find a therapist that is experienced in the medium of "you."

Some artists excel at paint, but are horrible at clay.
Some artists excel at charcoal, but are horrible at ballpoint pen.

Similarly, some therapists excel at CBD, but are horrible at Jungian therapy. Some therapists excel at biofeedback, but are horrible at family systems therapy. Of course, there are also the rare but incredible Renaissance therapists, who are masterful at identifying and working with a myriad of mediums.

One of the hardest things for me to learn was that it's ok to let a therapist know that I didn't think we were a "fit," and to ask if they had anyone they might recommend. Of course, one of the rubs of that is it usually takes some time with good therapy to be able to start to recognize what you need for positive growth (vs. what you might simply want due to discomfort).

I am glad you found that master artist at working with the medium of "Kishkumen." Should you ever find the need again, I hope you find another great master artist.

One thing that I discovered not too long ago, is that many therapists have therapists of their own. My lil sis is a psychologist, and it still takes me aback slightly when she mentions something that her therapist told her.