Richard Nygren, “one of the only African-American apologists,” Comes to DCP’s Aid

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Richard Nygren, “one of the only African-American apologists,” Comes to DCP’s Aid

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The war between the Mopologists and the Heartlanders continues. Everybody Wang Chung and drumdude have already highlighted some key tidbits from the “SeN” proprietor’s recent post, but I was struck by a couple of details. First, Dr. Peterson is citing a pretty obviously unhinged post as being representative of FIRM, even though, per the comments, this is coming from one person. Dr. Peterson writes:
Sowing discord among the Latter-day Saints and spreading hateful contention is the devil's work.

Then why repeat this at all?

But the larger problem is that “Peter Pan,” the proprietor of the “Neville-Neville Land” blog, which has been wholly devoted to publicly smearing Jonathan Neville and trying to drive a wedge between factions of Latter-day Saints for several years now, shows up to add to the attacks. “Chubby Steve” addresses Pan as “Stephen Smoot, and both Pan and DCP deny that he’s the one.

Okay, sure. But the Mopologists have stated publicly that the true author of “Neville-Neville Land” is a Black man from Alabama named Richard Nygren. Pan himself has said this on “SeN” and Robert Boylan said the same on a YouTube podcast interview of the lumpy and ineffectual Spencer Kraus. Boylan seems like a straight shooter: either he is a racist, bald-faced liar, or he was *lied to.* Or, there really is a Black LDS from Alabama who is close friends with DCP and who has spent the past 4 years openly trashing other Latter-day Saints and trying to get them excommunicated.

What’s the truth here? It’s not that hard to guess. What I can say with a high degree of confidence is that these shenanigans are going to have a direct impact on what happens (or doesn’t) with the new Interpreter film project. If the Mopologists have been collectively inventing a phony Black man in order to trash the Heartlanders…. Well, what is likely to come of that?
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Richard Nygren, “one of the only African-American apologists,” Comes to DCP’s Aid

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Does Dick Nygren have any Internet presence? Because unless he’s workin’ for NASA I don’t see anything from Alabama that comes close.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Re: Richard Nygren, “one of the only African-American apologists,” Comes to DCP’s Aid

Post by drumdude »

If it’s not Smoot, it just goes to show how DCP’s friends really don’t want to be known as DCP’s friend. Can’t say I blame them.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:28 am
Or, there really is a Black LDS from Alabama who is close friends with DCP and who has spent the past 4 years openly trashing other Latter-day Saints and trying to get them excommunicated.
I'm pretty sure DCP has never had a black (or Jewish) friend in his entire life.

Peter Pan is Stephen Smoot. I'm sure DCP and Smoot think they are pulling off some brilliant deception. In reality, nobody cares and everyone knows it's Smoot.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:45 am
Does Dick Nygren have any Internet presence? Because unless he’s workin’ for NASA I don’t see anything from Alabama that comes close.

- Doc
Good questions. If there *isn't* any Richard Nygren, then it means the apologists have invented a phony Black man in order to avoid being taken to task for their war with the Heartlanders. And how will it look in the end, if Daniel Peterson--Executive Producer of a movie about the notoriously racist, anti-Black Brigham Young--is found to have been supporting this whole charade? That sounds like *exactly* the kind of thing that Peggy Fletcher Stack would want to know about.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I hope there is a Richard Nygren. Indeed, I should hope that the first person to criticize Heartlanders of the more racist variety would be a Richard Nygren. Moreover, I dearly hope Stephen Smoot would never dream of impersonating an African American Latter-day Saint. I may not be on board with a lot of what these guys do, but the idea of them stooping this low is hard for me to wrap my head around.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I looked on Spokeo and couldn't find a Richard Nygren that lives in Alabama (or from there). My money is on Smoot being Peter Pan.

Why lie about this and how dumb are these people in the age of the internet?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:07 pm
I looked on Spokeo and couldn't find a Richard Nygren that lives in Alabama (or from there). My money is on Smoot being Peter Pan.

All I can say is that I hope you are wrong. If a real Richard Nygren as he has been represented publicly is not the author of this material, that would be a truly despicable trail of misdeeds.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:31 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:07 pm

All I can say is that hope you are wrong. If a real Richard Nygren as he has been represented publicly is not the author of this material, that would be a truly despicable trail of misdeeds.
Yes: it would certainly eclipse the 2nd Watson Letter in terms of its magnitude. Someone should ask DCP on “SeN” about Nygren.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Any of you PIMOs have access to a member search tool? I’m still coming up with goose eggs ref a “Richard” “Nygren” “Alabama” “black” / “African-American” and “Latter-day Saint” / “Mormon”. I have some fairly sophisticated tools at my disposal and I’m getting exactly zero hits with regard to a black Alabamian named Richard (or Dick) Nygren.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.