“Peter Pan” is Unmasked as Mike Parker

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: “Peter Pan” is Unmasked as Mike Parker

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:00 pm
Yeah. Who told Boylan about Richard Nygren? But whatever the case here...I hope this results in the heartlanders and the LGT Central Americaners come together as one as Jesus prayed they would. Sometimes it takes this level of nuttiness to help one realize what's really important.
This is the description of boylan's interview w Kraus
Episode 15: Spencer Kraus on Jonathan Neville's Use of Sources

Robert Boylan
769 subscribers

471 views Jul 9, 2022

Spencer’s Author Page with Interpreter
https://interpreterfoundation.org/aut...

Spencer's blog, "Latter-Day Light And Truth"
https://latterdaylightandtruth.blogsp...

Book of Mormon Central
www.bookofmormoncentral.org

Richard Nygren’s blog, “Neville-Neville Land” (blog critiquing Jonathan Neville and other Heartland proponents where he posts under the nickname “Peter Pan”; Richard is one of only a few African-American apologists; he lives in Birmingham, Alabama)
https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/

Listing of Stephen Smoot's reviews of Hocking and Meldrum, Annotated Edition of the Book of Mormon
https://scripturalmormonism.blogspot....

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ScripturalMor...
Paypal: https://www.paypal.me/irishlds/
Follow my blog at http://scripturalmormonism.blogspot.com
Previous episodes can also be found at http://scripturalmormonismpodcast.blo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6bJyjU-bc
So yes, you wonder who provided Boylan with all that information...
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:37 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:28 pm
The question that I have is where did Robert Boylan get the very detailed idea that “Richard Boylan” was an AA apologist that lives in Birmingham, AL? And if Smoot and DCP knew who was behind Peter Pan, why didn’t they set the record straight? DCP admitted he knew who Peter Pan was, so why did he run with Boylan’s lie? These guys have some very serious explaining to do.

- Doc
From the video, it looks to me like Robert Boylan was not in on the tasteless "gag." He seems to believe sincerely that Richard Nygren, Black LDS apologist, is a real person. So, who was his source?
The claim that Nygren = "Peter Pan" seems like it must have originated with either Parker or Boylan. To my knowledge, though, Boylan is pretty even-keeled and has tended to stay away from the nastier side of Mopologetics, whereas Parker has always had his nose in the mud. So I lean towards Parker being the source. But Dr. Cam has a good point: Why didn't DCP clarify? In his most recent "SeN" entry, he writes:
I had never heard of any “Richard Nygren” until this allegation was first leveled, and I still know nothing about any such person. Until this blog entry, I have never mentioned the name on this blog nor, to the best of my recollection, uttered it anywhere else. If such a person exists, I know nothing about him except that he is definitely not the author or proprietor of Neville-Neville Land. (His Scandinavian purported name, Richard Nygren, sounds about as likely to me for a black man in Alabama as Nordberg, the name that, presumably for slightly comic effect, was given to O. J. Simpson in The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!)
It was "first leveled" many months ago via Robert Boylan's YouTube episode, so it should have been clear to Dr. Peterson clear back then that somebody was lying about "Neville-Neville Land" being the work of a Black Latter-day Saint. And he didn't bother to correct that claim. Meanwhile, in a February 23rd entry, he comments about having dinner with folks in Hurricane. What do you want to bet that one of his dinner companions was Mike Parker, who no doubt got an appreciative pat on the head for his work trashing the Heartlanders?

Regardless, DCP knows now. The question is: what will he do about it? Is he going to publicly disown Parker and "Neville-Neville Land"? I predict that he will say nothing, but that ought to worry him, because like I said: if something like this gets back to Purdy Distribution, it could very well put his moviemaking goals in jeopardy.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:25 pm
Mike Parker was aware, and apparently implies it's true, although he says it obliquely:
19 July 2022
"Recommended watching: Spencer Kraus’s interview with Robert Boylan"

By Peter | Tags: Heartland hoax, Historical sources, Seer stones

Even though this interview goes into more detail about this blog than I’m comfortable with, I still warmly recommend it to my reader(s):

[snipped: link to episode 15, "Spencer Kraus on Jonathan Neville's Use of Sources"]
—Peter Pan
Wow. OK. So Peter Pan knows that others have revealed his pseudo-identity as Richard Nygren, Black LDS apologist. "Goes into more detail . . . "than [he is] comfortable with" is very interesting and adds to my questions. Did Park tell Boylan in his guise as Richard Nygren things that he was not expecting Boylan to reveal in the videocast? That's what it looks like to me. In other words, Park is pretending to be Nygren in his communications with Boylan about this anti-Heartlander blog.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:47 pm
The claim that Nygren = "Peter Pan" seems like it must have originated with either Parker or Boylan. To my knowledge, though, Boylan is pretty even-keeled and has tended to stay away from the nastier side of Mopologetics, whereas Parker has always had his nose in the mud. So I lean towards Parker being the source.
I feel sad even as I bring it up--because this is just too gross--but has anyone else noticed that the fake last name looks suspiciously similar to a particular racist slur? Of course, and in a more harmlessly juvenile way, Richard is obviously meant to stand in for Peter and vice versa.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:47 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:37 pm
From the video, it looks to me like Robert Boylan was not in on the tasteless "gag." He seems to believe sincerely that Richard Nygren, Black LDS apologist, is a real person. So, who was his source?
The claim that Nygren = "Peter Pan" seems like it must have originated with either Parker or Boylan. To my knowledge, though, Boylan is pretty even-keeled and has tended to stay away from the nastier side of Mopologetics, whereas Parker has always had his nose in the mud. So I lean towards Parker being the source. But Dr. Cam has a good point: Why didn't DCP clarify? In his most recent "SeN" entry, he writes:
I had never heard of any “Richard Nygren” until this allegation was first leveled, and I still know nothing about any such person. Until this blog entry, I have never mentioned the name on this blog nor, to the best of my recollection, uttered it anywhere else. If such a person exists, I know nothing about him except that he is definitely not the author or proprietor of Neville-Neville Land. (His Scandinavian purported name, Richard Nygren, sounds about as likely to me for a black man in Alabama as Nordberg, the name that, presumably for slightly comic effect, was given to O. J. Simpson in The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!)
It was "first leveled" many months ago via Robert Boylan's YouTube episode, so it should have been clear to Dr. Peterson clear back then that somebody was lying about "Neville-Neville Land" being the work of a Black Latter-day Saint. And he didn't bother to correct that claim. Meanwhile, in a February 23rd entry, he comments about having dinner with folks in Hurricane. What do you want to bet that one of his dinner companions was Mike Parker, who no doubt got an appreciative pat on the head for his work trashing the Heartlanders?

Regardless, DCP knows now. The question is: what will he do about it? Is he going to publicly disown Parker and "Neville-Neville Land"? I predict that he will say nothing, but that ought to worry him, because like I said: if something like this gets back to Purdy Distribution, it could very well put his moviemaking goals in jeopardy.
You said:
Dr. Peterson has said—multiple times—that he knows who Peter Pan actually is.
And I think you posted that bit where DCP says he’s interacted with Parker via email? I’m too lazy to use the search feature to find the quote, but it’s been quoted two or three times on this board. It might be helpful to reconstruct a timeline to keep DCP’s, Smoot’s, Boylan’s, and Parker’s lies in order.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I'm at a loss for words but I'm saying something anyway. I can't really get a good feel for the great indiscretion that Mike or whoever is accused of. What is offensive about creating a black LDS defender in Alabama? Surely there are black LDS people. Perhaps even one or two in Alabama...who knows? It sounds like Mike made up a person to throw people off. But is it racist, or something, to mention a race? To create a character of another race? I'm not sure there's much to be offended about. If he said Peter Pan is Richard Nygren in Alabama not mentioning race, would we even care?

I've never read a thing from Neville-Neville land. I've heard of it and thought it was a satirical blog to mock heartlanders. I don't know what's wrong with that. Those limited geography theorists ought to mock heartlanders and I'd have no problem with someone making up a blog to mock the LGTers. It's all a pile of quackery and deserves some mocking, if you ask me.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:22 pm
I'm at a loss for words but I'm saying something anyway. I can't really get a good feel for the great indiscretion that Mike or whoever is accused of. What is offensive about creating a black LDS defender in Alabama? Surely there are black LDS people. Perhaps even one or two in Alabama...who knows? It sounds like Mike made up a person to throw people off. But is it racist, or something, to mention a race? To create a character of another race? I'm not sure there's much to be offended about. If he said Peter Pan is Richard Nygren in Alabama not mentioning race, would we even care?

I've never read a thing from Neville-Neville land. I've heard of it and thought it was a satirical blog to mock heartlanders. I don't know what's wrong with that. Those limited geography theorists ought to mock heartlanders and I'd have no problem with someone making up a blog to mock the LGTers. It's all a pile of quackery and deserves some mocking, if you ask me.
The problem is, as you state, that you’ve never read anything from the NNL blog. Parker drones on and on about lying and duplicity, yet he himself appropriated the persona of a black LDS man from Birmingham, AL. This is bananas. Especially so considering the era in which we live where Mormons have openly, secretly, and socially persecuted black people. It’s not only in bad taste to use a black man as an avatar, but one has to wonder if Parker did so in order to deflect any criticism - did he think using the identity of a black man would afford him a social shield from criticism? Regardless, an anonymous handle would’ve been sufficient for the task at hand, but to flesh it out as a black man in these racially charged times is stupidity manifest. Mike Parker who currently teaches an adult religion class in the Hurricane, Utah, area is goddamn fool.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:48 pm
The problem is, as you state, that you’ve never read anything from the NNL blog. Parker drones on and on about lying and duplicity, yet he himself appropriated the persona of a black LDS man from Birmingham, AL. This is bananas. Especially so considering the era in which we live where Mormons have openly, secretly, and socially persecuted black people. It’s not only in bad taste to use a black man as an avatar, but one has to wonder if Parker did so in order to deflect any criticism - did he think using the identity of a black man would afford him a social shield from criticism? Regardless, an anonymous handle would’ve been sufficient for the task at hand, but to flesh it out as a black man in these racially charged times is stupidity manifest. Mike Parker who currently teaches an adult religion class in the Hurricane, Utah, area is goddamn fool.

- Doc
Thanks Doc. Makes more sense.
Regardless, an anonymous handle would’ve been sufficient for the task at hand, but to flesh it out as a black man in these racially charged times is stupidity manifest.
Yes. I suppose even if he had no ill intention, it'd be manifestly stupid to do so, all things considered. Is he that stupid? I can't imagine so.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

I wonder if Bill Reel might have anything to add.

Bill has/had a connection to Hurricane.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

So, who is Captain Hook then?