“Peter Pan” is Unmasked as Mike Parker

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MormonDiscussionInc
Sunbeam

Re: “Peter Pan” is Unmasked as Mike Parker

Post by MormonDiscussionInc »

My post to consolidate the allegation

In order to consolidate the allegations and evidence in one place I am detailing the Incident in this post, and will be hiding the others and will update this post as more is learned so that everything is in one place to reduce confusion (on my Facebook page)

1.) on July 9th 2022, Robert Boylan on his youtube channel @ScripturalMormonism in his video Episode 15: Spencer Kraus on Jonathan Neville's Use of Sources claims that “Richard Nygren” is the owner of the blog https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/ and posts under the name of “Peter Pan” and is “one of the only a few African American Apologists in the Church at the moment and he lives in Birmingham Alabama”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6bJyjU-bc&t=322s

2.) Robert Boylan to my knowledge as of April 1st at 3AM in the morning is the only source on the web that references the knowledge that “Peter Pan” on https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/ is Richard Nygren. No Mormon named Richard Nygren is available as information anywhere else on planet earth (outside the Discuss Mormonism Board which is referencing Boylan’s inference.) Boylan is the only person who seems to know Richard Nygren and Specific details about Nygren.

3.) A Latter-day Saint named Richard Nygren as a persona is completely unknown in terms of searching the internet. He seems to simply not exist. No one within Mormon apologetics outside Boylan has mentioned a Richard Nygren based on available information on the internet to my knowledge based on my searching extensively (I welcome information otherwise). But in spite of that Boylan seems to know "Nygren" and to the extent that he knows where Nygren lives…. In Birmingham Alabama. That’s a specific thing to know about a person who isn’t spoken of anywhere….. Nygren appears to be an entirely false identity.

4.) On the discussion board “Discuss Mormonism” there is a thread titled ““Peter Pan” is Unmasked as Mike Parker” that originated March 6th 2023 a longtime anonymous user named “Doctor Scratch” made the original allegation that “Peter Pan” was in fact LDS Apologist Mike Parker who resides in Hurricane Utah and is believed to be teaching a LDS Religious Education Class for adults. Doctor Scratch laid out his evidence which was seen as quite strong. He finishes his post claiming to have exposed Peter Pan’s Identity saying
“This would thus appear to bring the matter to a conclusion. Except for the matter of trying to blame all of this on a Black man named Richard Nygren. Knowing Mike Parker’s track record (check out his work on SHIELDS, for example), I have little doubt that he would do something like this. As Reverend Kishkumen said: this is one of the most despicable things the Mopologists have ever done. Shame on all of them.”
Doctor Scratch and others in the forum make the connection to “Richard Nygren” due to Robert Boylan’s video where he imposes with specifics completely unknown anywhere on the internet that Richard Nygren is Peter Pan on NevilleNevilleLand.com
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157233

5.) Mike Parker on the 26 of March 2023 on the blog NevilleNevilleLand.com on a post titled “Questions & Answers” confirms that “My identity was recently discovered and revealed” assumedly in reference to the “Discuss Mormonism” board thread mentioned. Mike says nothing about Richard Nygren and that name and any questions surrounding Nygren are not part of his post in spite of the real crux of “Doctor Scratch” and others is that Parker based on Boylan was posing as Richard Nygren, a African American Apologist who lives in Birmingham Alabama and who has a deep interest in countering the Heartland Model for the location of the Book of Mormon while being a apparent Caucasian himself. But Parker confirms that he is in fact the "Peter Pan" who owns the blog https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/
https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/.../questions-and...

6.) Mike Parker has insisted that while creating content under the name of “Peter Pan” that he has never claimed, suggested, or imposed in anyway that he was Richard Nygren, a African American Mormon Apologist who lives in Birmingham Alabama. Mike has said this directly to me, Bill Reel. He denies any awareness of a Richard Nygren and claims to be ignorant of that name.

7.) Someone asked on the Discuss Mormonism Board why Parker posing as Nygren, If true, is an issue and a poster named “Doctor CamNC4Me” there stated "Parker drones on and on about lying and duplicity, yet he himself appropriated the persona of a black LDS man from Birmingham, AL. This is bananas. Especially so considering the era in which we live where Mormons have openly, secretly, and socially persecuted black people. It’s not only in bad taste to use a black man as an avatar, but one has to wonder if Parker did so in order to deflect any criticism - did he think using the identity of a black man would afford him a social shield from criticism? Regardless, an anonymous handle would’ve been sufficient for the task at hand, but to flesh it out as a black man in these racially charged times is stupidity manifest. Mike Parker who currently teaches an adult religion class in the Hurricane, Utah, area is goddamn fool." - Which I think explains why, if this uncovering the identity by “Doctor Scratch” and based on Boylan’s knowledge being true, such is a behavior that could be seen as problematic and unhealthy.

8.) I, Bill Reel, while not making the allegation have chosen to investigate it and to report on the recent event inside Mormon circles of apologetics. I have placed questions to Robert Boylan on his Facebook page, asking him How he arrived at the knowledge that “Peter Pan” was in fact Richard Nygren? And how he knew Nygren resided in Birmingham Alabama. But apparently in an effort not to want to address the questions, has deleted my comments where I am asking him for the answers to these.
https://www.Facebook.com/LDSApologist87

9.) Mike Parker has claimed I called him a racist, which I didn’t. And he claims I am committing borderline libel reporting on the allegations made by others and showing the evidence gathered by “Doctor Scratch” that lead to both the reveal as well as connecting Peter Pan to the false persona of Richard Nygren and Boylan’s assumed knowledge of Richard Nygren. To be absolutely clear. I made no allegation as I was reporting on the allegations of others and sharing my commentary about how unhealthy such is, if the allegation is shown to be true. And that the allegation will continue until Robert Boylan clears up how he attained his knowledge of Nygren. For Boylan to avoid answering only raises more questions about his involvement and when and what he knew and where he got the information regarding a Richard Nygren from. I will continue to pursue trying to get to the truth of the matter.

10. Mike Parker was and may still be a volunteer with FairMormon. Robert Boylan also seems to have connections to FairMormon
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/authors/parker-mike

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/blo ... ert-boylan

Any future updates will be added to this post as additional numbered inserts.

Any of the allegations against Parker made within the “Discuss Mormonism” thread are not necessarily the views of myself or any other person or entity other than who said them originally.
Mormon Discussion Inc is a non-profit that seeks to help others deconstruct unhealthy systems and reconstruct their lives One Episode At a Time MormonDiscussionPodcast.org
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Just a quick note:

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 3#p2826973
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:37 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 pm
What you're saying here makes no sense. As Marcus pointed out, in the prior entry at Sic Et Non, Peterson stated that the author of the blog had informed him of his actual identity and that, as he had guessed earlier, the author is someone he knew.

When Smoot stated that the in real life of the author was Richard Nygren, Peterson replied that he'd never so much as heard of him. The "him" that was being discussed was Richard Nygren. Peterson never says or implies that he doesn't know who the blog author is and never says or implies that Nygren is the blog author.

Peterson says the author of the blog is someone he knew and that he'd never heard of Richard Nygren. You're simply ignoring context and giving each isolated comment the worst possible spin. In context, when Peterson said he'd never heard of Nygren, he confirmed that Nygren wasn't the blog author.
Background:

viewtopic.php?p=2826394#p2826394

DCP and Smoot are playing naïve here with regard to Peter Pan’s identity:
Stephen Smoot
7 months ago
P.S., my understanding from listening to Robert Boylan's interview with Spencer Kraus is that "Peter Pan" is some fellow down in Alabama named Richard Nygren. But whoever this Mr. Nygren may be I cannot say. I have never met him, nor have I ever corresponded with him online.

DanielPeterson
7 months ago edited
Stephen Smoot: "P.S., my understanding from listening to Robert Boylan's interview with Spencer Kraus is that "Peter Pan" is some fellow down in Alabama named Richard Nygren. But whoever this Mr. Nygren may be I cannot say. I have never met him, nor have I ever corresponded with him online."

I've never so much as heard of him. I briefly looked for him online, but found nothing. I'd like to think that he exists, though.

My bet is that he's one of my multiple personalities, just as you are.
But as DCP himself already admitted, he knew Peter Pan’s identity ~a year and half ago at the time of that post. He could’ve just set the record straight with, “Peter Pan isn’t someone named Richard Nygren. I know who it is, and it isn’t him.”

eta: The real burning question is, who fed Boylan the information that Peter Pan is a black LDS man living in Birmingham, AL? The secondary question is why didn’t DCP set the record straight when he had a chance, instead he let the falsehood marinate.

- Doc
Again. Both DCP and Smoot knew who Peter Pan was. Why did they let this notion of ‘Richard Nygren, a black LDS apologist residing in Birmingham, AL’ persist?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Yes: that’s an important detail—Smoot said that he “understood” that Neville-Neville Land was being run by “a fellow named Nygren.” Was he getting his information solely from Boylan, like the rest of us? Based on his comment, that would seem to be the case.

Here’s a thought: Boylan is Irish, no? And if so, maybe he’s not that familiar with US cultural norms and thus wouldn’t understand how offensive it would be to blame Parker’s work on a Black man?

In any case: the culprit would still seem to be either Boylan or Parker. If neither of them is willing to clear this up, then it would apparently mean that one of them *is* a sick racist, and the other is *covering up* for a sick racist.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I'm sure you already have this but I saved the transcript from Boylan's podcast and the highlighted below is where he mentions what he has now apparently deleted from his show notes:
just on the issue um for those who are interested when it comes to say
5:02
the heartland model of Book of Mormon geography and jonathan neville at all um i'm in the show notes i will includeissues you want to find in the Book of Mormon just on the issue um for those who are interested when it
5:02
the heartland model of Book of Mormon geography and jonathan neville at all um i'm in the show notes i will include
5:08
a listing of the infamous stephen smoots reviews of the book by hawking and meldrum annotated edition of the Book of Mormon
5:15
um which appeared on this website um as well as spencer's blog i should have mentioned latterly light and
5:21
true.blogspot.com and of course there's also richard nygren's blog neville neville land a blog critiquing jonathan
5:27
neville mainly but also other heartland proponents where he posts on the nickname peter pan uh richard is one of
5:33
only few african-american apologists in the church at the moment and he lives in birmingham alabama um so be sure to
5:40
check those out as well in the uh show notes
so um and i was kind of happy to see like
5:45
out both these books uh reviewed um because i've read both books...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6bJyjU-bc&t=322s
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I smell a Mormonism Live coming up! YEAHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBYYYYYYYYY!!!! :lol:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I find it hard to believe that Boylan would just invent, out of whole cloth, such a specific persona associated with such a specific hate blog. It could be possible, but something is rotten in Denmark. If Boylan just up and lied on his podcast about a black LDS man residing in Birmingham, AL, what was the motivation? Did he also know the identity of Peter Pan, and was throwing people off the scent off of Mike Parker? What would be his motivation to do so? The fact that he isn’t clarifying his seemingly racist claim doesn’t reflect well on him.

Right now we have this:

Robert Boylan - made the false claim that a black LDS apologist living in Birmingham, AL was ‘Peter Pan’, proprietor of the hate blog Neville-Neville Land. When asked to clarify his statement he’s thus far gone silent.

Smoot - knew who ‘Peter Pan’ was, but refused to clear up the matter reference ‘Nygren’s’ identity

DCP - knew who ‘Peter Pan’ was nearly two years ago, but refused to clear up the matter reference ‘Richard Nygren’ (it’s unknown if DCP understood where the Nygren thing originated)

Mike Parker - obviously wasn’t going to clear up the ‘Nygren’ matter since he wanted to remain anonymous

————

The fact that these Mormons knew Boyle’s possibly racist claim was false, and let it go without a correction, is a huge problem. These people need to get their BS stories straight, and make a public statement.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm
I find it hard to believe that Boylan would just invent, out of whole cloth, such a specific persona associated with such a specific hate blog. It could be possible, but something is rotten in Denmark. If Boylan just up and lied on his podcast about a black LDS man residing in Birmingham, AL, what was the motivation? Did he also know the identity of Peter Pan, and was throwing people off the scent off of Mike Parker? What would be his motivation to do so? The fact that he isn’t clarifying his seemingly racist claim doesn’t reflect well on him.

Right now we have this:

Robert Boylan - made the false claim that a black LDS apologist living in Birmingham, AL was ‘Peter Pan’, proprietor of the hate blog Neville-Neville Land. When asked to clarify his statement he’s thus far gone silent.

Smoot - knew who ‘Peter Pan’ was, but refused to clear up the matter reference ‘Nygren’s’ identity

DCP - knew who ‘Peter Pan’ was nearly two years ago, but refused to clear up the matter reference ‘Richard Nygren’ (it’s unknown if DCP understood where the Nygren thing originated)

Mike Parker - obviously wasn’t going to clear up the ‘Nygren’ matter since he wanted to remain anonymous

————

The fact that these Mormons knew Boyle’s possibly racist claim was false, and let it go without a correction, is a huge problem. These people need to get their B.S. stories straight, and make a public statement.

- Doc
How do we know Smoot knew the identity of "Peter Pan" when he made the comment about Nygren?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MormonDiscussionInc
Sunbeam

Post by MormonDiscussionInc »

can I please be forwarded all screenshots of where Apologists indicate that they know who Peter Pan is and specifically any screenshot showing anyone knew Nygren. And any time Mike Parker seems to be in the same space as these conversations. One Source has already forwarded me several such items but not the ones you mention in the most recent comments. Though I must say what I was sent is very interesting. Mike has threatened to sue me over libel and I would love nothing more than to see what Boylan might say on the stand to the questions that might arise from this evidence we have plus that which is being mentioned. Apologists are at the moment digging a hole and every time they deny any of this, it won't reflect well.
Mormon Discussion Inc is a non-profit that seeks to help others deconstruct unhealthy systems and reconstruct their lives One Episode At a Time MormonDiscussionPodcast.org
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MormonDiscussionInc wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:32 pm
can I please be forwarded all screenshots of where Apologists indicate that they know who Peter Pan is and specifically any screenshot showing anyone knew Nygren. And any time Mike Parker seems to be in the same space as these conversations. One Source has already forwarded me several such items but not the ones you mention in the most recent comments. Though I must say what I was sent is very interesting. Mike has threatened to sue me over libel and I would love nothing more than to see what Boylan might say on the stand to the questions that might arise from this evidence we have plus that which is being mentioned. Apologists are at the moment digging a hole and every time they deny any of this, it won't reflect well.
Screenshots can be faked. I wonder where they got this new previously unseen information.

as far as I know it’s original source was the YouTube video and then just a few mentions on DCPs blog comment section.

Edit: and what Marcus posted, that’s actually the most damming piece.
Last edited by drumdude on Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I don't know how to send you a screenshot, but Parker's comment here seems to acknowledge Boylan's incorrect identification that he is Nygren:
Recommended watching: Spencer Kraus’s interview with Robert Boylan

By Peter | Tags: Heartland hoax, Historical sources, Seer stones

Even though this interview goes into more detail about this blog than I’m comfortable with, I still warmly recommend it to my reader(s):

[snipped pic of Boylan's youtube]

—Peter Pan

https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2022 ... oylan.html