Breaking News: Judge Revokes Anti-Stalking Order

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Breaking News: Judge Revokes Anti-Stalking Order

Post by Res Ipsa »

Everybody Wang Chung, where did you find the text?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:42 pm
Too bad, Stem.

If you don’t listen to the podcast or read the court order, you won’t find out Jenn Kamp’s primary allegation of stalking was John Dehlin entering a live podcast Jenn was doing, then quickly exiting when he realized it was live and not recorded.

You can’t make this stuff up.

The judge found no reasonable person would be placed in fear by this.
Asking for a friend. If I connect to a live internet public broadcast, to watch someone who asked to have no contact from me, then that can be construed as stalking? If JK had won, John Dehlin wouldn't have been able to watch any of her live broadcasts? But watching recorded broadcasts are fine?

I feel far too old to live in this world.

Any estimates on how much something like this would have cost to pursue?

Listening to the order being read (beautifully I might add) by RFM, it all seemed incredibly flimsy and it left me feeling, quite frankly, flummoxed.

Even if JK knew she might lose, does she or did she gain anything by filing this? Or just a bit more bad publicity to heap on Open Stories Foundation and its Supreme Leader? If I had a cent for the number of times during the last month that I've heard "no smoke without fire" or similar, regarding John Dehlin, then I would be ... EPA Inc. Does the smoke from this instance disperse? Or even though she lost, did she win in terms of inflicting a limited amount of reputational damage to John Dehlin?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:14 am
Everybody Wang Chung, where did you find the text?
The clerk just emailed it to me.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:34 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Too bad, Stem.

If you don’t listen to the podcast or read the court order, you won’t find out Jenn Kamp’s primary allegation of stalking was John Dehlin entering a live podcast Jenn was doing, then quickly exiting when he realized it was live and not recorded.

Lol. What’s he doing? “She’s trying to sue me so I’m gonna listen to her podcast show. Uh oh…wait… what does “live” mean? I better get out of here.”

You have to wonder if there was any interaction.

“John Dehlin? Is that a troll joining us or the real deal?”

Trying to disguise his voice, “it’s a different John Dehlin. uh…it’s uh…I mean…bye”. <click>

“I think that might have really been him. Is he stalking me? What details about my life is he trying to get? Now I’m afraid he’s gonna be showing up at my door.”

Her buddy: “You should file a stalking order against him.”

The judge sends down the order: “yawn…let’s do this when he shows up at your door.”

“That’ll be too late,” she bemoans after the gavel sounds.

Dehlin upon leaving the court room “ah yes. Contact the media another jealous woman trying to take me down is foiled again. I’ll have to make mention of this in my yearly proclamation on the family of my innocence.”
You really ought to listen to consig's reading of the order or read it when Everybody Wang Chung posts it. Sometimes stalking claims don't hold any water and this is one of them.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 am
a. Petitioner was understandably sensitive about the trauma she endured as a child. Although it was insensitive of Respondent to disclose that Petitioner was a victim of child sexual abuse during the August 10, 2022 podcast, Respondent did not disclose the information in an effort to exploit Petitioner’s vulnerability.

Petitioner had already agreed to do a multi-part podcast with Respondent detailing her child sexual abuse and had already recorded a podcast where she insinuated that she was a victim of child sexual abuse. In reviewing footage of the podcast, the Court finds that Respondent was attempting to promote the upcoming podcast about Petitioner’s child sexual abuse rather than exploiting Petitioner’s vulnerability about her experience as a victim of child sexual abuse.
In this instance, I think some of the damages in the other case are related to this point. How does the American legal system work here? Can JKs case that she filed in January end up overturning this finding?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

pistolero wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:19 am
consiglieri wrote:
Too bad, Stem.

Asking for a friend. If I connect to a live internet public broadcast, to watch someone who asked to have no contact from me, then that can be construed as stalking? If JK had won, John Dehlin wouldn't have been able to watch any of her live broadcasts? But watching recorded broadcasts are fine?

Listening to the order being read (beautifully I might add) by RFM, it all seemed incredibly flimsy and it left me feeling, quite frankly, flummoxed.

Even if JK knew she might lose, does she or did she gain anything by filing this? Or just a bit more bad publicity to heap on Open Stories Foundation and its Supreme Leader? If I had a cent for the number of times during the last month that I've heard "no smoke without fire" or similar, regarding John Dehlin, then I would be ... EPA Inc. Does the smoke from this instance disperse? Or even though she lost, did she win in terms of inflicting a limited amount of reputational damage to John Dehlin?
Sometimes any publicity, good or bad, generates positive results.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

27.On February 14, 2023, approximately four people at Petitioner’s place of employment received an email that contained a video of the August 25, 2023 Board meeting and a copy of the complainant in Respondent’s lawsuit. There is no evidence that Respondent was directly or indirectly involved in sending the email to Petitioner’s workplace.
This is extremely uncool.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:24 am
dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:34 pm

Lol. What’s he doing? “She’s trying to sue me so I’m gonna listen to her podcast show. Uh oh…wait… what does “live” mean? I better get out of here.”

You have to wonder if there was any interaction.

“John Dehlin? Is that a troll joining us or the real deal?”

Trying to disguise his voice, “it’s a different John Dehlin. uh…it’s uh…I mean…bye”. <click>

“I think that might have really been him. Is he stalking me? What details about my life is he trying to get? Now I’m afraid he’s gonna be showing up at my door.”

Her buddy: “You should file a stalking order against him.”

The judge sends down the order: “yawn…let’s do this when he shows up at your door.”

“That’ll be too late,” she bemoans after the gavel sounds.

Dehlin upon leaving the court room “ah yes. Contact the media another jealous woman trying to take me down is foiled again. I’ll have to make mention of this in my yearly proclamation on the family of my innocence.”
You really ought to listen to consig's reading of the order or read it when Everybody Wang Chung posts it. Sometimes stalking claims don't hold any water and this is one of them.
I’m satisfied with the ruling. I wouldn’t claim otherwise.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

pistolero wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:30 am
27.On February 14, 2023, approximately four people at Petitioner’s place of employment received an email that contained a video of the August 25, 2023 Board meeting and a copy of the complainant in Respondent’s lawsuit. There is no evidence that Respondent was directly or indirectly involved in sending the email to Petitioner’s workplace.
This is extremely uncool.
If these were Mormonism Live viewers, I hope that they're incredibly ashamed of themselves. I expect a lot better from that audience.
Last edited by drumdude on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

pistolero wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:19 am
consiglieri wrote:
Too bad, Stem.

I wasn’t totally sure if that meant the podcast was happening in-studio with guests or via zoom. I believe at the time of that particular podcast, they were all on good terms, so I took it that Dehlin thought they were doing a recording so decided to pop in, but when he found out it was live he courteously ducked out.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.