Faith promoting story of Elder Ballard saving church funds from being given to a widow

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Faith promoting story of Elder Ballard saving church funds from being given to a widow

Post by drumdude »

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... lives_the/

At the end elder Ballard summarizes:

“Every bishop ought to find alternatives to deploying the resources of the church.”

In response, the interviewer exclaims,

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every bishop in the church understood what you just taught us?”

The church saves for a rainy day, and when the hurricane comes, it stands back with fists clenched tightly around their hoard. I wonder how much money that fictional widow gave to the church throughout her lifetime just to be told to pound sand when she desperately asked for help.
huckelberry
God

Re: Faith promoting story of Elder Ballard saving church funds from being given to a widow

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:43 pm

“Every bishop ought to find alternatives to deploying the resources of the church.”

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every bishop in the church understood what you just taught us?”

The church saves for a rainy day, and when the hurricane comes, it stands back with fists clenched tightly around their hoard. I wonder how much money that fictional widow gave to the church throughout her lifetime just to be told to pound sand when she desperately asked for help.
I listened and found it unpleasant. I do not think it is a bad idea to search for variety of help sources. Maybe a bishop can see possibilities a distressed individual is overlooking. That is a good thing.

Drumdude, your story about the person surviving the 33000 ft fall from an airplane came to mind considering the story of a forgotten brother having the wealth to pay off the mortgage , support the family become an active church member
drumdude
God

Re: Faith promoting story of Elder Ballard saving church funds from being given to a widow

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:40 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:43 pm

I listened and found it unpleasant. I do not think it is a bad idea to search for variety of help sources. Maybe a bishop can see possibilities a distressed individual is overlooking. That is a good thing.

Drumdude, your story about the person surviving the 33000 ft fall from an airplane came to mind considering the story of a forgotten brother having the wealth to pay off the mortgage , support the family become an active church member
You saw that too! It’s quite the story.

I’m sure elder Ballard is telling the truth though, since he’s an apostle of the Lord! :lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:13 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:40 pm

You saw that too! It’s quite the story.

I’m sure elder Ballard is telling the truth though, since he’s an apostle of the Lord! :lol:
I honestly am almost against this mislabeling anymore. It is more realistic to say they are apostles for the Corporation. I seriously no longer believe they even believe in Jesus Christ.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Oh, they believe in a Jesus Christ. They are just laboring under a lot of stunning misapprehensions concerning his teachings.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The church must always take in a lot more than it gives out. #$Trillions for Jesus.

I can see it now on judgment day ... "Well done thou good and faithful servant, for thou hast created vast wealth and plenty from the talents given thee. #$Trillions for Jesus indeed."
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.