Looking At The Church's Racism Through Black Perspectives

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Looking At The Church's Racism Through Black Perspectives

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

A group of several black BYU students run a TiK Tok account called @blackmenaces. It has over 700k followers.

It's interesting to see their perspective on the racism both past and present in the church. They usually handle the church's racism with a good dose of humor and eye rolling.

Here is their reaction watching Elder Brad Wilcox ask why white people didn't get the priesthood sooner:

https://www.tiktok.com/@blackmenaces/vi ... 0386782511

Here is a reading of a racist comment by Mark E. Peterson:

https://www.tiktok.com/@blackmenaces/vi ... 8547702063

Here is a reading of Ezra Taft Benson condemning the civil rights movement:

https://www.tiktok.com/@blackmenaces/vi ... 6061077806

Why they created the black menaces:

https://www.tiktok.com/@blackmenaces/vi ... 3630839087
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Looking At The Church's Racism Through Black Perspectives

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The world is a changin’. Those kids are laying the social groundwork for a more respectful way people regard each other, but it’s going to be a long road for everyone. I think about Mormon women trying to do the same thing back when Sonia Johnson (does she go by her maiden name?) was toiling away on the ERA and LGTB+ rights. There are deep, deep, DEEP Mormon neural pathways that have been laid down, and we’re talking another 30-40 years before GenX’ers start kicking off … do Black members have that kind of gas in the tank? Will it be worth it to them to keep up the fight for a world where people see each other as humans before they see each other through the lens of skin, sex, musculoskeletal makeup, ethnicity, and culture? I dunno. Tribal ties that bind are so inherent to the human experience, it’s tough to say. crap, look how Mormon apologists treat anyone who doesn’t share their quirky and nuanced version of faith.

The church is going to have to pivot quick, though. They’re going hard in Africa, and unless they disavow the racism in their history and scriptures, it’s not going to go well for them once Africans have their own awakening to the broader world and cultures around them. I don’t see many self-respecting POCs staying true to a faith that thinks they’re cursed, were less valiant in the pre-existence, or socially not allowed the same access to privileges white Mormons who are connected enjoy.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Looking At The Church's Racism Through Black Perspectives

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:54 pm
The world is a changin’. Those kids are laying the social groundwork for a more respectful way people regard each other, but it’s going to be a long road for everyone. I think about Mormon women trying to do the same thing back when Sonia Johnson (does she go by her maiden name?) was toiling away on the ERA and LGTB+ rights. There are deep, deep, DEEP Mormon neural pathways that have been laid down, and we’re talking another 30-40 years before GenX’ers start kicking off … do Black members have that kind of gas in the tank? Will it be worth it to them to keep up the fight for a world where people see each other as humans before they see each other through the lens of skin, sex, musculoskeletal makeup, ethnicity, and culture? I dunno. Tribal ties that bind are so inherent to the human experience, it’s tough to say. crap, look how Mormon apologists treat anyone who doesn’t share their quirky and nuanced version of faith.

The church is going to have to pivot quick, though. They’re going hard in Africa, and unless they disavow the racism in their history and scriptures, it’s not going to go well for them once Africans have their own awakening to the broader world and cultures around them. I don’t see many self-respecting POCs staying true to a faith that thinks they’re cursed, were less valiant in the pre-existence, or socially not allowed the same access to privileges white Mormons who are connected enjoy.

- Doc
Well said.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014