Why the goal-setting craze of 1970?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Why the goal-setting craze of 1970?

Post by slskipper »

I've asked this question elsewhere trying to understand the Mormon mentality. I'll ask it here also. Around 1970 the whole church lost its ever-loving mind over the divinely inspired mandate to define your life by the goals you set. It was the basis for the entire youth program, with regular meetings with the bishopric to assess your progress. Every RS President had her Franklin Planner chock-full of goals and metrics and inspirational thoughts. In true Mormon fashion, the church has stopped mandating it over the pulpit, but the members still religiously do it. My big question is, why? What was the driving force behind it? Maybe Sunstone could come up with a historical exegesis of the phenomenon. Any insights?

I know that the faithful response is that God inspired his prophets to prepare us for the turmoils of the Last Days. I'm looking for something a little more realistic.

Thank you.
Last edited by slskipper on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huckelberry
God

Re: Why the goal-setting craze of 1970?

Post by huckelberry »

I quit attending a few years before this 1970 project. I was unaware of such a thing and find the idea shocking. It reads to my mind as a very intrusive effort to control young peoples lives. I suppose some useful advice and guidance could be seen in the idea. Regular meetings with bishopric? I would expect that is the why. I mean goals can be valuable but not all learning is goal oriented,well except in the sense that learning and new experience can be a goal. Perhaps a pleasant vacation or an exciting weekend could be a goal to discuss.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I joined in 1978 and goals were a big deal then, too, continuing on to my mission.

We all learned the expression, “An unwritten goal is only a wish.”

To which I privately appended, “A goal is only a written wish.”
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Ah yes, the 70's and 80's. Goals, food storage and:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

In hindsight it was one more example of the church robbing people of their youth. All the acceptable goals were of the kind to make a CEO get excited. You were given a list of required goals and then you came up with your own set in addition. There were things like completing projects and career training. Absolutely nothing about trying to figure out the opposite sex, or developing a healthy self image- you know, the kinds of things a religion is supposed to be about. It surely was influenced by Stephen Covey somehow.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't think goals are a bad idea, but, like anything, can be abused if taken to extremes. As far as the origin, business operates by setting goals and the church is run by businessmen. In the 70's, N. Elden Tanner, a prominent Canadian businessman, Eh, saved the church from being over-extended from the Moyle (MacKay's counselor) if you build it they will come hypothesis and he was very goal oriented. If I had to guess, his influence in the FP might have had a role in the goal craze. Also, don't forget Senor Covey and his 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Missionaries ..... Jesus must have inspired it. Get those numbers Elder!

https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits/

You know, the more I think about it, missionary work might have been the origin. In the 60's Moyle loved his baseball baptisms to fill the buildings he commissioned. Goals are part of getting more numbers. If you don't think it, it'll never happen.... And even though he was banished to Florida, the salesmanship lived on and goal setting is a natural offshoot.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 pm
Ah yes, the 70's and 80's. Goals, food storage and:

oh boy, exactly my thought. Exactly.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Well it's my goal to quit with all the goals... :D
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

slskipper wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:01 am
In hindsight it was one more example of the church robbing people of their youth. All the acceptable goals were of the kind to make a CEO get excited. You were given a list of required goals and then you came up with your own set in addition. There were things like completing projects and career training. Absolutely nothing about trying to figure out the opposite sex, or developing a healthy self image- you know, the kinds of things a religion is supposed to be about. It surely was influenced by Stephen Covey somehow.
I was thinking Stephen Covey as well.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:37 am
Well it's my goal to quit with all the goals... :D
There are no absolutes...