Backyard Professor Responds to Sandra Tanner on 1831 Revelation on Polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Backyard Professor Responds to Sandra Tanner on 1831 Revelation on Polygamy

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://youtu.be/VLJxXh5Vafo

I discuss the history and significance of the Tanner's discovery of an 1831 revelation to Joseph Smith from Jesus Christ on Joseph being told the brethren are to marry the Lamanite women in polygamous relationships in order to turn the "dark, loathesome and filthy Indians into white and delightsome" creatures before God. I have as guest, the historian of Mormonism H. Michael Marquardt sharing his insights via telephone.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Backyard Professor Responds to Sandra Tanner on 1831 Revelation on Polygamy

Post by Kishkumen »

Great work, Philo!!!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:39 pm

I discuss the history and significance of the Tanner's discovery of an 1831 revelation to Joseph Smith from Jesus Christ on Joseph being told the brethren are to marry the Lamanite women in polygamous relationships in order to turn the "dark, loathesome and filthy Indians into white and delightsome" creatures before God. I have as guest, the historian of Mormonism H. Michael Marquardt sharing his insights via telephone.
Very well done! I really enjoyed watching this, Philo. Thoroughly researched and presented. I loved hearing from Michael Marquardt.

I also agree with your comments regarding the Tanners. They were always honest (in all the years I read and followed them) and very fair....but the church leaders tried everything they could to villainize them as evil, rabid anti-Mormons.

That 1831 revelation is such an interesting topic. Of course many apologists used it to justify Joseph's "marriage" to Fanny Alger, stating it was proof that Joseph had indeed received a revelation from God to live polygamy & he was just being obedient.
But, they always left out the racist element of the revelation. Go figure ;)
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Madison54 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:39 pm

Very well done! I really enjoyed watching this, Philo. Thoroughly researched and presented. I loved hearing from Michael Marquardt.

I also agree with your comments regarding the Tanners. They were always honest (in all the years I read and followed them) and very fair....but the church leaders tried everything they could to villainize them as evil, rabid anti-Mormons.

That 1831 revelation is such an interesting topic. Of course many apologists used it to justify Joseph's "marriage" to Fanny Alger, stating it was proof that Joseph had indeed received a revelation from God to live polygamy & he was just being obedient.
But, they always left out the racist element of the revelation. Go figure ;)
Was Fanny Alger of Lamanite or Nephite descent?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Nimrod wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:47 pm
Was Fanny Alger of Lamanite or Nephite descent?
Fanny wasn't a Lamanite.

Apologists just claim that this 1831 revelation is proof that Joseph had been commanded to live polygamy even before he received the sealing keys (or the revelation that became Section 132 in the D&C). They do this in an attempt to justify Joseph's affair with Fanny.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Thank you you wonderful people. It makes it worth all the work of research and making it coherent when folks say it made sense, and they like it. Much appreciated, and more to come!
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Of course, there are numerous problems with this "1831" revelation. One that jumps out at me is that this revelation would have permitted Joseph Smith (and certain other Mormon men) to have sex with women other than his one and only wife (Emma))--to create offspring. Sort of like Jacob 2, only this instance, to make the Lamanite people become white and delightsome (actually, that dovetails with Jacob 2 and a righteous seed as the Book of Mormon equate the two notions). Then again, where are the resulting children? Maybe Ugo Perego and others ought to be testing those of Native American descent--perhaps the lighter skinned ones--to see if they can find a DNA match with Joseph Smith.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

One thing that stands out to me is the seemingly ease (and perhaps more importantly, comfort) with which Phelps writes revelation in the direct first person voice of deity -- decades after the fact.