Mike Parker: The Ultimate Mopologetic Bootlick?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Mike Parker: The Ultimate Mopologetic Bootlick?

Post by malkie »

toon wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:41 pm
Is there a similar debate out there among Santa cultists over whether his workshop is at true north or the magnetic pole?

Which one is engaging in fraud?

Notice I didn't say anything about race, because we all know those magnetic northers are all damned racists.
No matter, toon.

All that counts is that we may be sure that the Postal Code of said workshop is H0H 0H0.

https://www.newtondesk.com/santa-claus- ... a-hoh-oho/
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I think it’s worth pointing out that Dr. Peterson described Parker’s 4-year effort today as “sadly necessary.” At least half of that description is true.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:13 am
I think it’s worth pointing out that Dr. Peterson described Parker’s 4-year effort today as “sadly necessary.” At least half of that description is true.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:13 am
Necessary? As you pointed out in the other Parker thread, their prophets, seers and revelatory have taken the official position that they have no official position. Faithful Mormons put all kinds of issues "on the shelf." Why not, you know, follow the prophet and stick that issue on the shelf, too.

Having done some reading of stuff posted by both sides, I think the whole feud is crazy. Stark. Raving. Mad.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yes, Mopologetics has always positioned itself as a somewhat more narrowly certain brand of LDSism, daring to go where the Brethren can’t for fear of alienating too many members. If 30% of the members have the “wrong” opinion, the Brethren won’t publicly excoriate them because that might send them packing. The Mopologists are there to affirm what the 70% (and most leaders) think and fight the opinion of the 30% without getting the leaders directly involved.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Can someone explain why Neville was the primary target instead of Meldrum? That doesn't make sense to me.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm
Can someone explain why Neville was the primary target instead of Meldrum? That doesn't make sense to me.
The only thing that makes sense of Mopologetics is their desire to show the brethren how valiant they are with their testimonies so they get brownie points in heaven. They have to have enemies in order to show off their valiance, so if they have none, they make some. Who better than someone who thinks differently and therefore they can be labeled apostates? Now THAT is worth going after with a vengeance so one can imagine spending eternity with General Moroni and comparing stories of warfare against who had the stronger enemy.
Last edited by Philo Sofee on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What is it with pick-me wannabe Mopologists and identifying with prepubescent children? First we have Mike Parker identifying with Peter Pan on his hate blog Neville-Neville Land, Stephen Smoot identifying as himself, and now we have Christian Chowen posting as ‘Nines’ with this as his avatar:

https://disqus.com/by/christianchowen/

Weird.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Mopologetics is an endeavor that has its genesis in reacting to something and any aspiring Mopologist needs a source that provides ample content for them to react to (hence the book review being the most common mode of expression). I think Mike Parker settled on Jonathan Neville because he produces a lot of content to react to, but that also didn’t attract the same level of attention and notoriety as Rod Meldrum, so he isn’t in so much direct competition with others. (Or as Midgley would have it: his betters).

He pulled it off rather well and carved himself out a niche that was getting regular praise from various quarters for his efforts. True to his Mopologetic background, he self-sabotaged and tainted his rather considerable efforts to discredit the work of Neville.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
I think that Dr. Stak has some great observations in response to this question. I have been meaning to make some more detailed comments on this, but what I will say for now is that it seems to have something to do with the way that Mike Parker’s nose fits comfortably into DCP’s butt crack. Someone would have to check the old posts on SeN, but If I recall correctly, the first mention of Neville came from Parker. I.e., Parker *told* DCP that Neville had said something critical, and so DCP did a post saying, “I don’t pay attention to Jonathan Neville. In fact, I’ve never read anything he’s written. But ‘Neville-Neville Land’ is increasingly important.” Or something like that.

It was striking to me to read the other day that Dr. Peterson’s main problem with the Heartlanders is that they’re “trying to read people” out of the Church. That’s a far cry from what he was saying a while back, when he was accusing them of being a “schismatic” movement. My point being: they keep shifting the goal posts, which means, at minimum, that they *want* the Heartlanders as enemies. Mopologetics cannot function without a “Devil”—hence my epigraph on my OP. In the past, it has been EVs, ex-Mormons, and secular critics, but ever since they were ejected from the Maxwell Institute, they have mainly targeted other Mormons: the “new” MI; the Mormon Transhumanists; and the Heartlanders.

As for Parker: he seems desperate for validation. I think someone upthread called him a “dweeb,” which seems accurate. In any case: he has been so obsessive and aggressive about targeting Neville because of the encouragement he’s gotten from DCP.
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14