Modern Miracles - David McKay's "Gift of Tongues"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
JohnW
Valiant A

Re: Modern Miracles - David McKay's "Gift of Tongues"

Post by JohnW »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:28 pm
John W
I thought this was only the case with the full trifecta of traits. The problem of evil only is a problem with all three. If God is all-knowing and all-benevolent but not omnipotent, he can want people to be saved and be unable to save some of them. This is the Latter-day Saint version of God. He is limited in who he can save. I know this sometimes makes members uncomfortable, but our theology does not preach strict omnipotence. We are happy with something less than that. As I recall, we discussed this some time back.
Your current religion might teach this, but Joseph Smith certainly did not. It shows how far the drifting has become from the founding Restoration prophet of the last dispensation, for sure.
I disagree here. As soon as Joseph Smith began to teach that we had the ability to become gods, then he was teaching that God was not omnipotent. I'm no historian, but I believe it started with D&C 76. A bunch of people left the church after that revelation, because it was such a big deal. Again in the King Fillet Discourse similar things were taught. As soon as you preach that God got to his position by following a bunch of rules, even if those rules are natural rules, then that person is not omnipotent in the strictest sense of the word. I think quite a few members in Joseph Smith's time knew the full implication of what he was teaching, but it is probably true that many did not.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

JohnW wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:59 am
Philo Sofee wrote:

Your current religion might teach this, but Joseph Smith certainly did not. It shows how far the drifting has become from the founding Restoration prophet of the last dispensation, for sure.
I disagree here. As soon as Joseph Smith began to teach that we had the ability to become gods, then he was teaching that God was not omnipotent. I'm no historian, but I believe it started with D&C 76. A bunch of people left the church after that revelation, because it was such a big deal. Again in the King Fillet Discourse similar things were taught. As soon as you preach that God got to his position by following a bunch of rules, even if those rules are natural rules, then that person is not omnipotent in the strictest sense of the word. I think quite a few members in Joseph Smith's time knew the full implication of what he was teaching, but it is probably true that many did not.
All good. Joseph Smith had changed his mind by the time he began teaching this heresy. He definitely claimed God had all the omni attributes and was even infinite. So, I can only conclude he didn't understand the true character of God and thus, according to his own teachings, could not have proper faith in God...
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

JohnW wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:59 am
Philo Sofee wrote:

I mean. He could’ve taught that. Or not. God could be one way. Or another. The Spirit can confirm the truth of one thing or another. Or not. Or maybe just a little. Like, whatever man. Faith is like, you know, individually tailored for each one of our own personal journeys. Or maybe not. Or maybe a little. Anyway, it’ll take your whole life and then some to learn and grow in faith. Or maybe you won’t because faith can be tricky to understand. Or not. Like, it’s all good. Or maybe it’s not.

See? Mormonism is true. Or not. Or a little. Pick one! Or don’t! Or a little! “F” it!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.