Steven Pynakker

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Steven Pynakker

Post by msnobody »

I’ve watched a few of Steven Pynakker’s interviews, most recently two with John Dehlin. I’m curious as to thoughts anyone here who may be familiar with Mr. Pynakker, my have about Mr. Pynakker being representative of evangelical Christianity. If anyone could point me to evidence that he is an evangelical Christian, please do so.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Rivendale
God

Re: Steven Pynakker

Post by Rivendale »

He is evangelical. He is all over reddit and has multiple quotes regarding that fact. I have a hard time with this approach. Going into exmormon platforms and essentially proselytizing in a passive way. Sandra Tanner gets similiar criticism. She recently admitted that many of her critics ask her if she uses the same scrutiny on her new found faith as she does Mormonism. Her reply? That doesn't excuse Mormonism's problems. Steve is in the same situation. Here is an example. https://youtube.com/watch?v=3PgU7zEw0yw&feature=share
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:40 pm
If anyone could point me to evidence that he is an evangelical Christian, please do so.
I mean, it is in the banner of the YouTube channel:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:40 pm
I’ve watched a few of Steven Pynakker’s interviews, most recently two with John Dehlin. I’m curious as to thoughts anyone here who may be familiar with Mr. Pynakker, my have about Mr. Pynakker being representative of evangelical Christianity. If anyone could point me to evidence that he is an evangelical Christian, please do so.
Is there something in particular in the interviews that makes you suspicious of his self-claimed religious bonafides?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I got to spend an evening with him at the Elder Pingree movie and chat with him on a 1/2 video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMqCEE14PBw&t=54s

and he appears to me to be legit Evangelical. I also agree with the response to the criticism that if he or Sandra do not articulate their own views, that has nothing to do with their refutations of the problems Mormonism has. Now, it may turn out, they may have many of the same problems as the Mormons, but that is another matter.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I’m listening to his interview episodes with John Dehlin (in order this time), to see what my thoughts are.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I listened to his interview with Dan Vogel a while back as well as some others. He seems like a nice guy and does a good job in his interviews. We owe a debt to evangelicals like Sandra Tanner and Wesley Walters for their dogged investigation of Mormonism and its weaknesses. Even so, using their techniques on Christianity would yield the same results as using them on Mormonism. Both don't hold too much water.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I wonder if Steven Pynakker is aware of Colleen Ralson’s 2003 book, The Christian Companion to The Triple Combination A Guide to using Mormon Scriptures for Witnessing to Latter-day Saints.

https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Combi ... 157&sr=8-1

In the book, she guides you on how to systematically mark your Book of Mormon as a tool to witness to Latter-day Saints.

Back in the day, I racked up a $24 log distance phone charge talking to her— hubs wasn’t too happy with me about that.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

It took to the end of episode 5 for me to be more at ease with him presenting himself as an evangelical Christian. Now, I want to talk to him. 😊
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:16 pm
I wonder if Steven Pynakker is aware of Colleen Ralson’s 2003 book, The Christian Companion to The Triple Combination A Guide to using Mormon Scriptures for Witnessing to Latter-day Saints.

https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Combi ... 157&sr=8-1

In the book, she guides you on how to systematically mark your Book of Mormon as a tool to witness to Latter-day Saints.

Back in the day, I racked up a $24 log distance phone charge talking to her— hubs wasn’t too happy with me about that.
On an individual basis, I can see why a Christian would want to witness to Mormon friends. The best hope for the LDS Church to improve its Christianity, in other words, the way to get the greatest conversion going, is from within the organization itself, and it will take a very long time. Still, I see hope there for an increase in the Christianity of Mormons as a group.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow