DCP: "There was a literal attempt to destroy the FARMS Review"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: DCP: "There was a literal attempt to destroy the FARMS Review"

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:26 am
“DCP” wrote: I have to admit I’ve done a lot of negative apologetics in my lifetime. FARMS Review is partly born to do that. I sometimes think Jack Welch, who asked me to do it, twenty-two years ago, must have occasionally wondered what kind of monster he’d created, because he had in mind just this little pamphlet that would be a guide to the literature on the Book of Mormon. Instead, it turned out to be this “thing” that takes on critics, and just smashes them sometimes. It’s so nasty and mean, and so much fun for a few of us, anyway. I’ve enjoyed knocking down the critics. You’ve probably seen the Far Side cartoon with the two deer, and one is saying to the other, who has a big target on his back, “Gee, bummer of a birthmark!” Honestly, I look at some critics, and I think, “Oh man! Bummer of a birthmark!” I can’t NOT take aim! It’s like they walk around with a sign on their rear ends that says, “Kick me!” What can I do? As Lou Midgley puts it sometimes, I am sort of like the drunk who walks by the swinging doors of the tavern, and says, “Oh, one last time!” I just can’t not do it
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/wp- ... terson.pdf
That talk is, uh, really something. Maybe peak DCP. At least back in 2010 Mopologists were relatively honest about not being Christians (in the conventional sense).

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

The proprietor should write a lengthy book full of juicy details recounting the rise and fall of FARMS, blasting Bradford and Samuelson, lashing out at Dehlin, relating countless tales of blocking attempted slam dunks by anti-Mormons, sharing times he humiliated Loftes Tryk and Ed Decker, documenting what he ate during power lunches at Olive Garden with Packer and Maxwell, giving the straight dope about the time the Maxwell Institute literally attempted to destroy the FARMS Review and its predecessors, giving the lowdown on the wickedness of Signature Books, etc. Preferably in Early Modern English using a chiastic structure.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Tom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:30 pm
The proprietor should write a lengthy book full of juicy details recounting the rise and fall of FARMS, blasting Bradford and Samuelson, lashing out at Dehlin, relating countless tales of blocking attempted slam dunks by anti-Mormons, sharing times he humiliated Loftes Tryk and Ed Decker, documenting what he ate during power lunches at Olive Garden with Packer and Maxwell, giving the straight dope about the time the Maxwell Institute literally attempted to destroy the FARMS Review and its predecessors, giving the lowdown on the wickedness of Signature Books, etc. Preferably in Early Modern English using a chiastic structure.
Would it perhaps be better if the book were written by an ignorant farm boy (not FARMS boy!) who couldn't possibly know about any of these things? Then missionaries could use that fact, along with the length, language, and structure, to convince anyone who failed Moroni's test.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

malkie wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:39 pm
Tom wrote:
Would it perhaps be better if the book were written by an ignorant farm boy (not FARMS boy!) who couldn't possibly know about any of these things? Then missionaries could use that fact, along with the length, language, and structure, to convince anyone who failed Moroni's test.
If this farm boy can write it in two months or less, I’d buy it.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

malkie wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:39 pm
Tom wrote:
Both these suggestions are brilliant.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
That would be wonderful! Something I would pay to read.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:26 am
“DCP” wrote: I have to admit I’ve done a lot of negative apologetics in my lifetime. FARMS Review is partly born to do that. I sometimes think Jack Welch, who asked me to do it, twenty-two years ago, must have occasionally wondered what kind of monster he’d created, because he had in mind just this little pamphlet that would be a guide to the literature on the Book of Mormon. Instead, it turned out to be this “thing” that takes on critics, and just smashes them sometimes. It’s so nasty and mean, and so much fun for a few of us, anyway. I’ve enjoyed knocking down the critics. You’ve probably seen the Far Side cartoon with the two deer, and one is saying to the other, who has a big target on his back, “Gee, bummer of a birthmark!” Honestly, I look at some critics, and I think, “Oh man! Bummer of a birthmark!” I can’t NOT take aim! It’s like they walk around with a sign on their rear ends that says, “Kick me!” What can I do? As Lou Midgley puts it sometimes, I am sort of like the drunk who walks by the swinging doors of the tavern, and says, “Oh, one last time!” I just can’t not do it
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/wp- ... terson.pdf
LOL! Which critics has DCP ever smashed? The only giant target that I've seen is squarely on the back of DCP. He makes such an easy target due to his constant lies, plagiarism, public feuds, blunders and arrogance.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:12 pm
DCP wrote:Well, I’m hoping that all of these valuable materials won’t simply be lost. That would be an offense against the authors and a real disservice to those who have found these materials helpful or might have done so in the future.

I’ll try to find out more about what’s happening when I get back to the States.
Some would argue the words are an offense to the trees they're printed on and the silicon circuits they travel upon.
When he got back to the States, was there more information given, or was the ability to find out more thwarted by his now 4-year famine of library resources?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Ah, yes: thanks for resurrecting that old quote. It's the one where Dr. Peterson candidly admits to acting like a schoolyard bully....and enjoying it. How sick does someone have to be to actually relish this sort of sadism, and to boast about it?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:50 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:12 pm

Some would argue the words are an offense to the trees they're printed on and the silicon circuits they travel upon.
When he got back to the States, was there more information given, or was the ability to find out more thwarted by his now 4-year famine of library resources?
LOL. I assume PA3 has given up the wait.