Rusty Nelson is being awarded a copycat Ghandi Mandela peace prize

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Rusty Nelson is being awarded a copycat Ghandi Mandela peace prize

Post by drumdude »

This is not the Mandela Ghandi peace prize which has been awarded to many prestigious persons. This is the Mandela Ghandi King peace prize which is being given out for the first time this year.

Similar to getting a mail in degree from Brigham Young Smith University.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/03 ... t-russell/
Russell M. Nelson is about to join an elite group of global leaders working for civil rights.

On April 13, the 98-year-old president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will receive the Gandhi-King-Mandela Peace Prize from Morehouse College, a historically Black school in Atlanta.

The honor is awarded “to a person who promotes peace and positive social transformation through nonviolent means,” the school said in its announcement. “The individuals use their global leadership to affirm peace, justice, diversity and pluralism.”

The board selected Nelson “for his global efforts in ‘abandoning attitudes and actions of prejudice against any group of God’s children’ through nonviolent ways.”

It then quoted the Latter-day Saint leader’s June 2020 Facebook post, after the George Floyd killing by police.

“Let us be clear,” Nelson said in the post. “We are brothers and sisters, each of us the child of a loving Father in Heaven. His son, the Lord Jesus Christ, invites all to come unto him — ‘black and white, bond and free, male and female,’ (2 Nephi 26:33 in the Book of Mormon). It behooves each of us to do whatever we can in our spheres of influence to preserve the dignity and respect every son and daughter of God deserves.”

Nelson, who will not be there in person, will accept the award in a special broadcast, hosted by the Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel on the Morehouse campus.
He won’t even be there in person!

Maybe because he’s worried it’s a trap?
Reminder from Russell M Nelson's autobiography published in 1979:

In 1971, when the search was under way for a new president for Brigham Young University, President Romney interviewed me extensively, particularly on the question of the Negro and the Priesthood. I gave him a simple answer: I had no problem with that doctrine, because I knew that in the Lord’s own due time a revelation would come which would enable the Blacks to receive the Priesthood, and until that time came, they were not to receive it. It was just that simple. I suspect some of the other men who were being interviewed may have had more to say on that subject.
Gadianton
God

Re: Rusty Nelson is being awarded a copycat Ghandi Mandela peace prize

Post by Gadianton »

At least it's from an external source.

I remember around my mission time, my parents received the printed Church News, and as a TBM with a growing shelf, the Church or Church-sponsored / related institutions were constantly giving the ranking Brethren awards for the most ridiculous things. I remember Tommy boy with a gold medal around his neck for something I can't remember and a big fake smile on his face. What a bunch of losers.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:42 pm
At least it's from an external source.

I remember around my mission time, my parents received the printed Church News, and as a TBM with a growing shelf, the Church or Church-sponsored / related institutions were constantly giving the ranking Brethren awards for the most ridiculous things. I remember Tommy boy with a gold medal around his neck for something I can't remember and a big fake smile on his face. What a bunch of losers.
e33.jpg
e33.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I wonder if something is garbled here. The Ghandi Mandela awards, which include a peace prize, are relatively new. They were first awarded in 2019. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi_Mandela_Awards

Morehouse College has a chapel: The Martin Luther King, Jr. International Chapel. https://morehouse.edu/life/campus/marti ... al-chapel/ It sponsors the Ghandi-King-Ikeda Institute Global Cosmopolitan Ethics and Reconciliation. Institute for Global Cosmopolitan Ethics and Reconciliation

The Institute has been giving two awards since 1981: a peace award and a community builders award. The peace award is the Ghandi-King-Ikeda Peace award. https://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/icn ... esistance/

It seems a little odd to me that this organization, which has been awarding the Ghandi-King-Ikeda Peace Award for around 40 years would create something called the Mandela-Ghandi-King Peace Prize.

The Trib article cites a press release from the church. I can’t find anything on the Institutes web cite about this new prize or about any award to Nelson. I can’t find any press release from the Institute, nothing else in the press.

Going to do a little more looking for confirmation from a source other than the Trib.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It would be pretty big news if Peggy Stack didn't verify this one before publishing.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

It’s weird. I can’t find any source that isn’t LDS. And the press release cited by the Trib is an FAQ put out by a LDS PR person in Atlanta. How common is it that the organization giving an award doesn’t announce it? I searched the AJC, but nothing.
he/him

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The SEC mess is now behind them. Nelson quickly gets an award, for something, probably paid for by one of the 13 LLC's. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Maybe this paragraph from the Trib article is a clue:
A special announcement will be made at this ceremony on future events with the Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The church has been partnering with the NAACP in funding scholarships and other programs benefiting black students and others.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:16 am
It’s weird. I can’t find any source that isn’t LDS. And the press release cited by the Trib is an FAQ put out by a LDS PR person in Atlanta. How common is it that the organization giving an award doesn’t announce it? I searched the AJC, but nothing.
Sounds like a fraudulent award. On a YouTube short, RFM suggested this was one of those pay to receive a bogus award scams.

---------------

Some Sic et Non humor:

Shaquille Oatmeal
2 days ago edited

Speaking of contention and peacemakers:

A Heartlander, a 2 Cumorah Believer (2CB) and Gemli were stranded on a deserted island. Gemli finds a genie bottle and the genie grants them each a wish.

The 2CB out of fury, spits out, "I wish all those Heartlanders would all just disappear!" The genie laughed, and was going to grant the wish, until the Heartlander said, "well I wish all the 2CBs would disappear from the face of the Earth!"

The genie looked very concerned, and asked Gemli for his wish. Thinking for a few minutes Gemli tells the genie "I wish for a home-cooked meal made by me dear departed mom.”

All three look at Gemli, confused about his wish. "Now why would you wish for that?" asked the Heartlander and the 2CB.

"Well, I was going to wish for world peace, but you two seemed to do that already!"

Kevin Harper Shaquille Oatmeal
a day ago
at least they didn't all walk into a bar.

Jack Kevin Harper
a day ago
Yeah--that would be awkward. The first two don't drink--and the third wants nothing to do with spirits.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

The Inaugural Morehouse College Ghandi-King-Mandela Peace Price [sic] Citation

Be It Known To All Who Look Upon This Script That

Russell Marion Nelson Sr., MD, Ph.D.

President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Is Being Honored

God spoke the world into being with one powerful command: “Let there be light.” And God called humankind to embody and carry forth that light so that the world might forever be illumined in Divine glory.

Because you — Russell Marion Nelson Sr.—carry the light of truth in the great Morehouse leadership tradition, which recognizes the Universal Christ and works for Universal Justice, we are honored to announce you as the inaugural Laureate of the Morehouse College Gandhi-King-Mandela Peace Prize.

As an internationally recognized medical scientist, revered president, prophet, seer, and revelator for the 17-million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

You have continued the legacy of Joseph Smith Jr., founder of the Latter-day Saints movement and the first nationally recognized religious leader in the United States to advocate for the freedom of enslaved Africans, by affirming racial and ethnic equality, and running for the American presidency on a political platform of “Compensation Emancipation”.

You have worked tirelessly to build bridges of understanding rather than create walls of segregation. You have led your great church to link arms with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), The United Negro College Fund, Morehouse College and Spelman College to help more people enjoy the light of participatory democracy.

You have inspired your church to radical inclusivity and solidarity by taking a stand for the rights of women and children, and to preserve the intellectual, personal, social, and religious freedoms, and protection of all humankind.

And you have championed the moral cosmopolitan worldview of the religion of Jesus that is a hallowed blueprint for neighbors first, nonviolent human rights struggles around the globe, by serving as a virtue-ethical, exemplar of leadership grown courageous in the 21st century, one human family with the Creator.

For your noble efforts to heal and reunite the broken body of Christ — and for your contributions to help make the scriptural proclamation “God so loved the world…” a tangible reality — Morehouse College salutes you.

In the spirit of our motto, Et Facta Est Lux, which in English means, “And there was Light,” Morehouse gifts you a crystal obelisk — a shaft of light ancient Egyptians called the Ben Ben Stone to commemorate the ancestors and honor the attributes of God.

May it reflect the light within you and inspire continued works of global peace, harmony, and reconciliation.

Testifying to this honor, affirmed and witnessed under the seals of the College and the Chapel, the signatures of duly authorized officers are hereunto affixed, this, Thirteenth Day of April, Two Thousand Twenty-Three, in the City of Atlanta, Per Dominum Nostrum Jesum Christum

So be it! And, So it is!

Willie Woods, MBA
13th Chairman, Morehouse Board of Trustees

David Anthony Thomas, Ph.D.
13th President, Morehouse College

Lawrence Edward Carter Sr., Ph.D.
Founding Dean, Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... eace-price

I don’t know what to say.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857