What does Mormonism teach about spiritual gifts

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: What does Mormonism teach about spiritual gifts

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 pm
The Catechism of Catholic Church speaks same general ideas in a somewhat different fashion. I prefer it with my aside that I suspect all people including saints have at time struggled to follow the Holy Spirit.
1830 The moral life of Christians is sustained by the gifts of the Holy Spirit. These are permanent dispositions which make man docile in following the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

1831 The seven gifts of the Holy spirit are wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord. They belong in their fullness to Christ Son of David. They complete and perfect the virtues of those who receive them. They make the faithful docile in readily obeying divine inspirations.

Let your good spirit lead me on a level path. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God , if children the heirs, heirs of God a fellow heirs with Christ.

The Twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit

1. Charity
2. Joy
3. Peace
4. Patience
5. Kindness
6. Goodness
7. Generosity
8. Gentleness
9. Faithfulness
10. Modesty
11. Self Control
12. Chastity
Mostly, then, just the characteristics of decent people of any or no religion.

Based on that list it would be difficult to tell who was what.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 pm
The Catechism of Catholic Church speaks same general ideas in a somewhat different fashion. I prefer it with my aside that I suspect all people including saints have at time struggled to follow the Holy Spirit.

Gee Malkie I can see that it is not exclusive but I do not see that meaning these are of little value. What do you expect, a sign? Perhaps a golden horn growing on the forehead?

Well sometimes the power to command miracles gets suggested. I would guess you may be thinking of that. I do not see such power as existing in this world.Of course people can request miracles. They may be disappointed.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm
malkie wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm

Gee Malkie I can see that it is not exclusive but I do not see that meaning these are of little value. What do you expect, a sign? Perhaps a golden horn growing on the forehead?

Well sometimes the power to command miracles gets suggested. I would guess you may be thinking of that. I do not see such power as existing in this world.Of course people can request miracles. They may be disappointed.
Sorry, huckleberry - I can see that my comment was rather dismissive and perhaps derogatory. That was not my conscious intent, and so perhaps a lesson for me to learn to be more thoughtful about commenting.

OTOH, a little golden horn would certainly be helpful :) , though I would have expected you to prefer a halo to a horn :lol:

Maybe both? Image
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:13 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm

Sorry, huckleberry - I can see that my comment was rather dismissive and perhaps derogatory. That was not my conscious intent, and so perhaps a lesson for me to learn to be more thoughtful about commenting.

OTOH, a little golden horn would certainly be helpful :) , though I would have expected you to prefer a halo to a horn :lol:

Maybe both? Image
Malkie, I was not entirely sure how to take your comment. I can see the desire for a halo as a bit better than a golden horn but I do not see people much qualifying for halos. I think all people have important shortcomings. I am glad to see the best possiblities of people having presence in all sorts of people everywhere. I think Gods presence is not limited to one special group of people but instead shows beginnings all over the world.