Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:25 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:27 pm

That’s my understanding, too.
… some replies included links to library databases that appeared to show school libraries do hold some of these titles
Ah, maybe I missed the links to library databases. Perhaps a good Samaritan would link me to the post I missed?

- Doc
I did not personally review library databases. I have no idea whether those databases are publicly accessible. I simply scanned a number of media sources that I consider reliable and they basically said what the Reverend said.

ETA: I did a quick check and learned that the catalogs of all libraries in my school district are publicly available online. Gender Queer is not in the library at the elementary school my kids attended or the middle school where Ms. Ipsa teaches. It is in the library at the High School my kids attended.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:48 pm
I am not able to see where I victimized malkie at all. He decided to take offense over something trivial and left the conversation. I, on the other hand, even though barraged with one point of criticism or another stayed engaged.
The other problem with engaging you is that you don't read what is written. No one said or implied that you victimized Malkie. You misinterpreted and, then when he raised it, brushed off his concerns.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Not to place myself in a superior position but, gosh, aren’t we all big boys and girls?
Of course. But this shouldn't be an excuse for acting like an ass.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm

MG, what you don't seem to understand is that, at the very least, your lack of a logical, consistent, and coherent narrative makes your arguments difficult to comprehend. Good faith discussion with you becomes impossible.
Nah…I wouldn’t say impossible…just a challenge. Tell you what. I’ll accept you for the way you present yourself…which may at times be difficult…and you try and do the same?
You complain that no one understands you. When I reply and explain to you why that is, you brush it off, and in essence, say, 'live with it.'
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm

MG, what you don't seem to understand is that, at the very least, your lack of a logical, consistent, and coherent narrative makes your arguments difficult to comprehend. Good faith discussion with you becomes impossible.
Nah…I wouldn’t say impossible…just a challenge. Tell you what. I’ll accept you for the way you present yourself…which may at times be difficult…and you try and do the same?

Deal? 🙂

Or…by gosh…you can just ignore me as a babbling idiot. 🤪

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0 wrote:
Why do we spend so much time hammering each other over differences in the way we express ideas? It’s the ideas that are important. Not always presentation.

Regards,
MG
This right here. You say the ideas are what matter yet never actually engage the critique of your positions or arguments such as they are. You immediately pivot to it being personal, others not understanding or sharing your perspective and otherwise avoiding the discussion of the actual ideas. You started an OP that states Gen Z is irreligious which is a threat to civil society and then spent the thread being unwilling to engage criticism of the data, contradictions in your argument, avoiding the discussion of what makes for so-called civil society, and how the mix of economic and political behaviors affects that third sphere.

Plus when anyone from malkie to Res suggests your comments are offensive to them you blame them for taking offense. So you can't even extend the same courtesy you expect in your pivot off the ideas to the person behind them.

That's pretty pathetic.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Ah, maybe I missed the links to library databases. Perhaps a good Samaritan would link me to the post I missed?

- Doc
https://sdhillsb.ent.sirsi.net/client/e ... S&lm=BOOKS
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
https://sdhillsb.ent.sirsi.net/client/e ... S&lm=BOOKS
Ooo. Your system is better than ours. I had to look up each school individually.
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:22 pm
Ooo. Your system is better than ours. I had to look up each school individually.
I just grabbed this link directly from Twitter.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:24 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:22 pm
I just grabbed this link directly from Twitter.
Cool. Thanks!
he/him

MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 pm

I suppose I should be more accurate for legalistic folks like Res Ipsa. I’m referring to secular humanist non and/or anti theistic folks. Now if they want to define and or reclassify themselves in order to make it more palatable, then fine.

It is interesting, nonetheless, that there has been almost zero support for the Deseret News article on this board.

It does NOT support the worldview that many would like to see play out.

Regards,
MG
Please - I really don't understand why you have to say things like this. It has nothing to do with palatability. Do you really not understand, or are you simply acting?

It's statements like this that make me, once again, dislike interacting with you. I've been attempting to have a discussion in good faith, but I really get fed up with this kind of nonsense. I think I'm done with this thread.
For clarity, this is the post in question that Morley is referring to. malkie left the conversation as a result of this post.

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:26 pm
malkie wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm

Please - I really don't understand why you have to say things like this. It has nothing to do with palatability. Do you really not understand, or are you simply acting?

It's statements like this that make me, once again, dislike interacting with you. I've been attempting to have a discussion in good faith, but I really get fed up with this kind of nonsense. I think I'm done with this thread.
For clarity, this is the post in question that Morley is referring to. malkie left the conversation as a result of this post.

Regards,
MG
Reading Malkie's words, I think it would be more accurate to say this comment was the last straw. But that's just another example of what people talk about when they say you don't pay attention to what other's say.
he/him