Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:01 pm
MG,

You claim to believe in the seperation of church from state. That would make you a secularist.
Was Jesus, too, a secularist? If I’m understanding where you’re going with this, it seems as though you would have to answer yes.

Am I wrong?

Jesus did think there should be a separation of church and state, right? So if He was a secularist, so am I. If He wasn’t, neither am I.

I believe in God. To the best of my knowledge, Jesus did too.

Res Ipsa says that a secularist belongs to a category of those that have ‘absence of God’ as the essential part of their repertoire. How do we dovetail this all together? 🙂

You sure like to convolute things into a rhetorical and definitive mess.

That’s what you do. Pretty good at it I don’t hesitate to say.

Regards,
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

sec·u·lar·ist

/ˈsekyələrəst/

noun
noun: secularist; plural noun: secularists

a person who advocates separation of the state from religious institutions.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
MG,

You claim to believe in the separation of church from state. That would make you a secularist.
Doc has been pointed this out, already. MG doesn't care. He has his own definitions of words.

edit: He won't tell you the definition, and it might change whenever he wants it to, but he has his own definition.
Last edited by Morley on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:19 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:25 pm

You're not Mitt Romney.
Never said I was. But I do have many of the same political views that he has. I worked with his campaign organization here in Utah. Do I think he does everything right all of the time? No. Only most of the time. 🙂

But if the national election were held tomorrow my and the choice was between him and Trump, I’d vote for Romney in a heartbeat. I tend towards compromise and moderation.

You, kind sir, are trying mightily to set up a cardboard caricature of me. I’m sure you have your reasons. But I don’t think they would fall within the realm of civility.

Something else is going on here.

I won’t point my finger at what I think is going on, but I will say that I don’t think it is worthy of a decent and kind human being.

Regards,
MG
You’re free to hold or state whatever opinion you want. I already know your opinion of me: it’s everything you have said or implied about “secularists,” or nonbelievers. You claim that my mere existence is an existential threat to civil society.

I’m not trying to do anything other than label bigotry in the words you choose to post. I choose to do that because of the fact this bigotry is having right now on real people and because it widens the divisions in a dangerously fractured society.

Try this as an experiment: take your posts in this thread. Substitute “black people” for “secularist” and “black peoples thinking” for “secularism.” The bigotry should leap off the page at you.

Then explain how changing the name of the label somehow magically transforms bigotry into not bigotry.

The fact that you would choose Mitt Romney as a presidential candidate doesn’t do that kind of magic.

But, by all means, make up something else that is going on. Anything that saves you from thinking about your own speech.

If the bigoted claims you’ve repeatedly made and defended here are what you consider “decent” and “kind”, I’ll be happy to be excluded from your definition of those terms.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:22 pm
honorentheos wrote:
MG,

You claim to believe in the seperation of church from state. That would make you a secularist.
Was Jesus, too, a secularist? If I’m understanding where you’re going with this, it seems as though you would have to answer yes.

Am I wrong?

Jesus did think there should be a separation of church and state, right? So if He was a secularist, so am I. If He wasn’t, neither am I.

I believe in God. To the best of my knowledge, Jesus did too.

Res Ipsa says that a secularist belongs to a category of those that have ‘absence of God’ as the essential part of their repertoire. How do we dovetail this all together? 🙂

Regards,
MG
?

It's an established definition.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:40 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:12 pm

Wow, great reference, thank you. All public school libraries in my town are there, as well as the private school libraries in the area, although the site decided I was a bot after looking up two schools back to back and kicked me out!

I'll try again later, because I am curious now to see what collections are chosen. Our town public library coordinates considerably with the schools (both local public and regional HS) to provide additional resources such as family library cards, space for after school tutoring, summer reading list access, computer and internet resources, etc, and My library Director works in the school system as well, also one of my library Trustees is also on the Board of Ed, so I am curious now to see how or if we coordinate book choices, etc. I'll report back, if anyone is interested.
Alpine School District in Utah Valley.

https://www.kuer.org/education/2022-11- ... l-district

A comment from the article:
“If you want your kids to read that stuff, you can go to the local library and check those books out.”
This is a possible solution I guess. Let parents be the gate keepers of their OWN children,

The problem is, there are those that want to force the content of these books on children and/or put the books right in front of their face/eyeballs.

Parents should be in charge. If Kishkumen or anyone else here wants their children to read the books in question, that many other parents are opposed to having in the school, take your child to the library and have at it.

Solution?

This is just one area where liberal leftists and conservatives are going to disagree. And again, this is pretty much the point, after all is said and done, of this thread. Do we want a world with or without compromise?

And how does that happen if one side or the other ridicules ‘the other’ for whatever reason?

Parents taking their own children to the public library would be a solution.

Open to compromise on this particular issue?

Regards,
MG
First of all, did you read the article you linked to?

You excerpted a comment, but completely changed its meaning in so doing. Here's the rest of that execrable comment:
“It doesn’t matter if there’s a cure for cancer in there, it’s inappropriate for children,” he said. “If you want your kids to read that stuff, you can go to the local library and check those books out.”
:roll: Right. What a compromise. Here's a quote that's more informative:
...Alpine School District policies state that an “instructional material review committee” has to have at least one school administrator and two teachers appointed by the school’s principal. There also must be more parents on the committee than school employees. But Rekdal said review committees should primarily be made up of professional educators who received training in First Amendment rights.

“I think right now because they [the committees] are composed mostly of non-professionals who are very impassioned and who have not received this training, people are going to make decisions based on emotions and their ideas about their children and what they want them to read,” Rekdal said.
The article you Googled for and quickly cherry-picked a sentence from in no way supports your point.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
MG,

MG 2.0 wrote:

Honor, when you ask whether MG agrees with the dictionary definition of a word, you are convoluting things into a rhetorical and definitive mess.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:44 pm
honorentheos wrote:
MG,

MG 2.0 wrote:

Honor, when you ask whether MG agrees with the dictionary definition of a word, you are convoluting things into a rhetorical and definitive mess.
:lol: :lol:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Man, the more I think about it I’m realizing that it is the religionists and those that have a more traditional/conservative worldview that should worry.

We’re up against some whacko folks out there.🤪

As we’ve seen in recent years they will stop at NOTHING to achieve their ends.

This thread has been a manifestation of that. It’s been an eye opener. Even more so than other threads I’ve participated on.

Liberal/leftest secular society is not one that I would want my children and grandchildren to live in.

Imagine, Brett Kavanaugh hearings with our names (conservatives and religionists that support traditional values) inserted into the docket schedule, large scale and small scale, federal and state. False witness and false witnesses. No thanks.

I’m speaking figuratively for those that are taking me literally.

That’s not a world I would want to live in. It’s worth fighting the good fight to oppose it.

But without bigotry. It can be done in love while at the same time not putting up with the shenanigans we’ve seen from the liberal/leftist secularists.

Wise as serpents, harmless as doves.

As can be seen on this particular thread there is very little room for compromise from those that run in opposition.

Which is too bad. That will/does just make things harder. But that’s life.

Traditional family values. Religiosity. These two things are enemies of the far liberal/left.

So there you have it. 😉

I’m a marked man. My days/posts are numbered.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:44 pm
honorentheos wrote:
MG,

MG 2.0 wrote:

That's how deep my influence goes. Oxford and Marriam-Webster cow to my rhetorical whims.