Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:24 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:08 pm

You couldn't be more wrong about something.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... the-world/)

You've said before your own life journey involved a period of doubt and inactivity. But you are perhaps your most convinced and committed today in your retirement years as you ever were before.

Your experience is representative of at least one theory as to why older adults tend to be more religious than young adults.
I may have miscommunicated what I was trying to say. What I’m saying is that for many folks, including those of us reaching our ‘golden years’, it becomes more of a tightrope walk to believe. Move this way or that without a balance pole and it’s a challenge not to fall off the rope of faith.

As I’ve mentioned a number of themes, balance is key. At least it is for me.

Regards,
MG
What makes it harder for you to walk the tightrope today than 10 years ago or 20 years ago?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:45 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:24 pm

I may have miscommunicated what I was trying to say. What I’m saying is that for many folks, including those of us reaching our ‘golden years’, it becomes more of a tightrope walk to believe. Move this way or that without a balance pole and it’s a challenge not to fall off the rope of faith.

As I’ve mentioned a number of themes, balance is key. At least it is for me.

Regards,
MG
What makes it harder for you to walk the tightrope today than 10 years ago or 20 years ago?
Greater and deeper understanding and acknowledgement of what I don’t know for a fact vs. what I do know for a fact.

That comes when you’re a natural skeptic and questioner with a dab of curiosity thrown in. 🙂

I like to keep my eyes wide open with the only absolute knowledge that I have being that I know that I exist and that I can love and be loved and find greater purpose and meaning beyond myself.

Bloom where you’re planted.

A bit of a stoic.

I am very skeptical of human reason and logic as being the ultimate arbiter of Truth. 😉

Although at find reason and logic a valid way of making meaning for oneself. That’s why I am hesitant on making absolute judgements on those that do.

But at times I do. I’m only human. 🙂

Thus, the balance pole.

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:04 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:45 pm

Greater and deeper understanding and acknowledgement of what I don’t know for a fact vs. what I do know for a fact.

That comes when you’re a natural skeptic and questioner with a dab of curiosity thrown in. 🙂

I like to keep my eyes wide open with the only absolute knowledge that I have being that I know that I exist and that I can love and be loved and find greater purpose and meaning beyond myself.

A bit of a stoic.

I am very skeptical of human reason and logic as being the ultimate arbiter of Truth. 😉

Although at find reason and logic a valid way of making meaning for oneself. That’s why I am hesitant on making absolute judgements on those that do.

Thus, the balance pole.

Regards,
MG
Interesting. I would have guessed that the combination of being skeptical toward human reasoning and logic and a deepening understanding of how much we don't know would result in stronger faith that would broaden the tightrope into a comfortable path. In my LDS extended family, those who fell off the tightrope did so in their earlier years, with those in their golden years maturing into a strong, quiet, confident faith. I can't think of anyone in my extended family past the age of 60 who has lost their faith in the LDS church.

I'm not doubting your experience. It's just a perspective that is new to me. Does posting here help you maintain your balance on the faith tightrope?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:31 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:04 pm

A bit of a stoic.

Thus, the balance pole.

Regards,
MG
Interesting. I would have guessed that the combination of being skeptical toward human reasoning and logic and a deepening understanding of how much we don't know would result in stronger faith that would broaden the tightrope into a comfortable path. In my LDS extended family, those who fell off the tightrope did so in their earlier years, with those in their golden years maturing into a strong, quiet, confident faith. I can't think of anyone in my extended family past the age of 60 who has lost their faith in the LDS church.

I'm not doubting your experience. It's just a perspective that is new to me. Does posting here help you maintain your balance on the faith tightrope?
My faith in the restoration and the claims made by the CofJCofLDS have developed into a deeper faith than at any other period in my life. And yes, as I’ve participated on this board off and on over an extended period of time I believe this has played a part in deepening my understanding of the tension between faith and doubt. That faith ultimately becomes a reasoned choice based upon a multiplicity of factors.

But underneath the layers of understanding gained I am fully aware of the limits of human understanding in regards to mind/body/spirit and that much of what we think we understand may be based more on the subjective than the objective. While at the same time knowing that much of what we have considered to be more or less objective knowledge is also subject to change or modification.

So we live in a world in which that which is right in front of our eyes can be known at least on a surface level. But it’s the levels (unknown in the main) underneath everything that we readily observe that I find more interesting to think about than that which is mundane and subject to objective analysis. Although that is also interesting/useful on a certain level. After all, that’s where we live day to day.🙂

I am comfortable in believing that the church has a place in the eternal scheme of things (yes, that’s on the assumption that there is a world that’s not right in front of our eyes) that plays an important part in the trajectory of intelligent entities that coexist with that which is eternal and at this time unobservable to the natural eyes.

But that’s faith, right?

Faith is only for those that have eyes to see and ears to hear.

That’s not a slam against those that don’t. It’s just reality.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Another transgendered LDS couselor:
Mormon Therapist Sexual Abuse Case UPDATE: Idaho Falls LDS man who counseled child sexual trauma survivors pleads guilty to felony sexual abuse or exploitation of a vulnerable adult. He had admitted to using a nonverbal adult in his care as a "sexual object." - anon
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/10/l ... its-guilt/

Boy, goodness me, how will we ever know good from evil?!?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:21 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:31 pm

My faith in the restoration and the claims made by the CofJCofLDS have developed into a deeper faith than at any other period in my life. And yes, as I’ve participated on this board off and on over an extended period of time I believe this has played a part in deepening my understanding of the tension between faith and doubt. That faith ultimately becomes a reasoned choice based upon a multiplicity of factors.

But underneath the layers of understanding gained I am fully aware of the limits of human understanding in regards to mind/body/spirit and that much of what we think we understand may be based more on the subjective than the objective. While at the same time knowing that much of what we have considered to be more or less objective knowledge is also subject to change or modification.

So we live in a world in which that which is right in front of our eyes can be known at least on a surface level. But it’s the levels (unknown in the main) underneath everything that we readily observe that I find more interesting to think about than that which is mundane and subject to objective analysis. Although that is also interesting/useful on a certain level. After all, that’s where we live day to day.🙂

I am comfortable in believing that the church has a place in the eternal scheme of things (yes, that’s on the assumption that there is a world that’s not right in front of our eyes) that plays an important part in the trajectory of intelligent entities that coexist with that which is eternal and at this time unobservable to the natural eyes.

But that’s faith, right?

Faith is only for those that have eyes to see and ears to hear.

That’s not a slam against those that don’t. It’s just reality.

Regards,
MG
This reminds me of when my older brother went through the temple right before his mission and I was in high school at the time. He came out talking about secret supposed spiritual experiences that he had, that he couldn't tell due to their sacredness. It frustrated me to no end because it clearly looked as though he fell for the fake superiority the leaders push when they claim they know something hidden that no one else knows. It also made me want to know just to be able to call him out, kinda like the fellow scryers must have felt when Joseph Smith started claiming he had plates that no one could see, except the holy hypnotized.

Incidentally, I think it contributed to the disappointment I felt when I went for the first time. There wasn't anything to be kept secret, even though there was the charge to do so.

Anyway, congratulations on your hidden insight and your supposed superiority.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Anyway, congratulations on your hidden insight and your supposed superiority.
Aren’t we all here to share what we believe to be ‘the hope that is within us?’

What worldview and/or hidden insight would you have to share with me that might give hope for a better world here and now, and a greater and more awesome world to come?

I’m open to your own garden variety of ‘supposed superiority’.

After all, you seem to be saying that religious folks, LDS folks in particular, are somehow deficient in their understanding of your ‘hidden insights’.

Please share.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:00 am
Mormon Therapist Sexual Abuse Case UPDATE: Idaho Falls LDS man who counseled child sexual trauma survivors pleads guilty to felony sexual abuse or exploitation of a vulnerable adult. He had admitted to using a nonverbal adult in his care as a "sexual object." - anon

- Doc
Absolutely sickening.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:59 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:00 am

- Doc
Absolutely sickening.
I agree. I listened to the whole thing. Heartbreaking for all concerned.

Regards,
MG