Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here is the online catalog service my district uses. It appears to be national in scope, although I don't know the percentage of school district that use it.

https://www.gofollett.com/aasp/ui/pick/pick
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:29 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:26 pm

For clarity, this is the post in question that Morley is referring to. malkie left the conversation as a result of this post.

Regards,
MG
Reading Malkie's words, I think it would be more accurate to say this comment was the last straw. But that's just another example of what people talk about when they say you don't pay attention to what other's say.
I'd say it's more a case of MG not being able to ask, "Is it I, Lord?" when someone says something he said was offensive. It's always their reception of the comment that is at fault.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:20 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Nah…I wouldn’t say impossible…just a challenge. Tell you what. I’ll accept you for the way you present yourself…which may at times be difficult…and you try and do the same?
You complain that no one understands you. When I reply and explain to you why that is, you brush it off, and in essence, say, 'live with it.'
This thread has become a microcosm of what society is evolving into. Whining and bellyaching with one side or the other not even listening for context and meaning. And one side accusing the other of being unreasonable and unjust.

Just a bunch of cherry pickers and nit pickers out to win the day. Social media is ALL ABOUT THAT. An enemy of civility.

And here we are. Civil society at its best…ha ha.

God help us.

Yes, Morley, live with it. It works both ways.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:25 pm
What am I missing?
i thought it was pretty revealing that when I asked if one of mg's stories had been debunked, he quoted from an article that did indeed debunk his story, but he only quoted the set up and then suggested I had the obligation to provide proof of the debunking myself. Even though he had just quoted from and linked to a story about the debunking. :roll:

Followed by an incredibly lengthy post wherein he concludes
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:19 pm
Logic is overrated.
Okay then. :D
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:36 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Reading Malkie's words, I think it would be more accurate to say this comment was the last straw. But that's just another example of what people talk about when they say you don't pay attention to what other's say.
I'd say it's more a case of MG not being able to ask, "Is it I, Lord?" when someone says something he said was offensive. It's always their reception of the comment that is at fault.
Maybe. "Offense," to me, is such an overused and misused word that I don't pay much attention to it when one person applies it to another person. The fact that I kept referring to myself throughout this discussion wasn't an expression of offense: It was a deliberate tactic. I think that his demonizing of "secularists" causes actual harm to flesh and blood people. Parts of Idaho, which is a gorgeous state full of good people, are becoming a mobocracy governed by thuggery. And it's exactly MG 2.0's style of bigotry that permits it to happen.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
You started an OP that states Gen Z is irreligious which is a threat to civil society…
Well, not quite. Close, but not quite. The thrust of the IDEA that I’m proposing is that the TRENDS that we’ve observed over a long period of time now…with GenZ being a focal point of conversation and concern…are worrisome for many. Yes, religionists in particular. Granted. The Deseret News article pointed out that all people should be concerned including those that are secularists of one stripe or another.

A question was then asked either directly or indirectly by me. Is civil society, where all ideas and opinions are freely expressed without ridicule and/or cancellation of one kind or another, at risk? I then proposed that we are seeing that gradually becoming a ‘thing’. That concerns me. It ought to, in my opinion, concern everyone. Left and right of the political and religious spectrum.

And for that I’m getting hammered.

Now, I don’t mind that. It is through the exchange of ideas that any truth is manifest.

Joseph Smith, among many wise things that he said, said the same. “ By proving contraries, truth is made manifest.”

This is becoming less and less doable at universities and other institutions. One side wants to squelch free speech and expression. By whatever means necessary.

This board is a microcosm of that trend/reality that we are seeing in the larger society.

The solution? Those that are getting hammered not backing down to the organized efforts to squelch unwanted and/or unwelcome speech and positions of belief.

So here I am. 😄

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:59 pm
honorentheos wrote:
You started an OP that states Gen Z is irreligious which is a threat to civil society…
Well, not quite. Close, but not quite. The thrust of the IDEA that I’m proposing is that the TRENDS that we’ve observed over a long period of time now…with GenZ being a focal point of conversation and concern…are worrisome for many. Yes, religionists in particular. Granted. The Deseret News article pointed out that all people should be concerned including those that are secularists of one stripe or another.

A question was then asked either directly or indirectly by me. Is civil society, where all ideas and opinions are freely expressed without ridicule and/or cancellation of one kind or another, at risk? I then proposed that we are seeing that gradually becoming a ‘thing’. That concerns me. It ought to, in my opinion, concern everyone. Left and right of the political and religious spectrum.

And for that I’m getting hammered.

Now, I don’t mind that. It is through the exchange of ideas that any truth is manifest.

Joseph Smith, among many wise things that he said, said the same. “ By proving contraries, truth is made manifest.”

This is becoming less and less doable at universities and other institutions. One side wants to squelch free speech and expression. By whatever means necessary.

This board is a microcosm of that trend/reality that we are seeing in the larger society.

The solution? Those that are getting hammered not backing down to the organized efforts to squelch unwanted and/or unwelcome speech and positions of belief.

So here I am. 😄

Regards,
MG

Florida republicans are trying to pass “new legislation would ban any discussion of menstrual cycles in school before sixth grade.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 504099002/

Does this count as squelching freedom of speech?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:26 pm

For clarity, this is the post in question that Morley is referring to. malkie left the conversation as a result of this post.

Regards,
MG
Can you point out the other ‘straws’ in this thread where I said something to malkie that would have warranted his making ‘hay’ over something I said to him? You’ve got to have a lot of straw to make hay.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Here is the online catalog service my district uses. It appears to be national in scope, although I don't know the percentage of school district that use it.

https://www.gofollett.com/aasp/ui/pick/pick
Wow, great reference, thank you. All public school libraries in my town are there, as well as the private school libraries in the area, although the site decided I was a bot after looking up two schools back to back and kicked me out!

I'll try again later, because I am curious now to see what collections are chosen. Our town public library coordinates considerably with the schools (both local public and regional HS) to provide additional resources such as family library cards, space for after school tutoring, summer reading list access, computer and internet resources, etc, and My library Director works in the school system as well, also one of my library Trustees is also on the Board of Ed, so I am curious now to see how or if we coordinate book choices, etc. I'll report back, if anyone is interested.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:52 pm
And it's exactly MG 2.0's style of bigotry that permits it to happen.
If you consider someone like Mitt Romney and his politics to be bigoted, then I guess I’m a bigot. But I don’t see him as a bigot. I see him as a model to pattern one’s political philosophy AND action after. I don’t think he would condone far right religious/political zealots in Idaho or anywhere else.

Same here.

Your misrepresentation is not appreciated.

And no matter what I say you keep throwing that ugly term at me.

Please stop.

I have, as I’ve said repeatedly, nothing against you as a person. I don’t care how you personally live YOUR life and what YOU believe. All men should be free to worship or not worship God.

I am ONLY opposed to the philosophical underpinnings of the secular field of THOUGHT. A world in which the absence of God is predicated to be the foundation of thought, morality, and human endeavor. I think it’s a mistaken philosophy and/or worldview and ultimately will lead society to a dark place if this trend among recent generations continues to take root and grow..

THAT, sir, is NOT bigotry.

Regards,
MG