Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:59 pm
You should, for the stated reasons in my opening post, have a healthy fear/worry over the trajectory of GenZ.

Regards,
MG
I would like to believe that I do have a healthy fear/worry over the trajectory of Gen Z. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z suffering from greater rates of food insecurity than other generations. I have a fear/worry about the poverty rates amongst Gen Z. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z's self-reporting on mental health. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z experiencing greater rates of burnout. I have a fear/worry about the massive societal debt that Boomers have left Gen Z to inevitably have to pay.

Maybe paying 10% of their income to a church could help them feed themselves and have more money. Maybe expending more energy volunteering between their multiple low-paying jobs could solve the rates of burnout. Maybe they can pray away their depression (or move to Utah where anti-depressants flow like water).

If religion is the answer, what can Jesus offer that the Church of Satan, or Islam can't?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:16 pm
So, a survey done by an organization whose mission is to promote Christianity that I cannot access without giving them my e-mail address. https://www.neighborlyfaith.org/who-we-are

Hard pass.
Feel free to post the results and/or interpretive framework of a secular study in regards to Gen Z that has results that contradict the findings of those found in the Deseret News article.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

I'm bone-weary of older folks (read: Boomers) complaining about 'those younger generations'.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 pm
I would like to believe that I do have a healthy fear/worry over the trajectory of Gen Z. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z suffering from greater rates of food insecurity than other generations. I have a fear/worry about the poverty rates amongst Gen Z. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z's self-reporting on mental health. I have a fear/worry about Gen Z experiencing greater rates of burnout. I have a fear/worry about the massive societal debt that Boomers have left Gen Z to inevitably have to pay.
No kidding.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:59 pm
You should, for the stated reasons in my opening post, have a healthy fear/worry over the trajectory of GenZ.

Regards,
MG
As do I.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Maybe paying 10% of their income to a church could help them feed themselves and have more money.
I’m open to that.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Maybe expending more energy volunteering between their multiple low-paying jobs could solve the rates of burnout.
Serving one’s neighbor brings joy. That joy can often counteract depression and other negative feelings that often come through insularity and self absorption. It doesn’t have to be a LOT of service. Religion promotes and MAINTAINS a high level impetus to serve one’s neighbor. That’s missing from secularism and non belief. At least the data seems to demonstrate this.

Not to say that there are not secularists that are inherently altruistic in their view of humanity and the world in general.

And it just makes good ol’ common sense that loving one’s neighbor helps one love themselves. Religion promotes this.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Maybe they can pray away their depression (or move to Utah where anti-depressants flow like water).
Depression is due to brain chemistry and environmental conditions. Prayers may help, and I believe they do, but it’s not quite so simple as you make it out to be.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
If religion is the answer, what can Jesus offer that the Church of Satan, or Islam can't?
I will refer you to the New Testament and the Book of Mormon. I will say, however, that I believe Islam teaches altruistic service towards one’s neighbor.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
I'm bone-weary of older folks (read: Boomers) complaining about 'those younger generations'.
And I’m bone weary of folks that seem to either ignore and/or not care about the future of civil society. That is what this Deseret News article and the findings quoted therein are all about.

You, as a secularist, ought to have a healthy concern in regards to the main thrust/thesis of the article…and not simply poo poo it, as seems to be the case in the responses thus far.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 pm
Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
And I’m bone weary of folks that seem to either ignore and/or not care about the future of civil society.
Me, too. Fortunately:

https://www.galaxydigital.com/blog/gen-z-volunteers
In just a few years’ time, the majority of the world’s population will be made up of Generation Z. Before you characterize these youngsters as out of touch, short on attention, or disengaged, you should know that Gen Z is poised to be the most philanthropic, socially-minded generation yet!

According to research released by the British Heart Foundation, Gen Z is more likely to have volunteered than any other age group. Nearly half of Gen Z has volunteered, and almost 25% say they are currently serving.

Although members of Generation Z are careful with money, they are enthusiastic givers who are involved in social causes.

These young adults spend their time online, and most of their interactions with nonprofits and charities are on social media. A 2017 Giving Report found that 59% of Gen Z are inspired give a donation because of a message or graphic they saw on social media, while only 14% were moved to action through email.

During the pandemic, 66% of Gen Z donated money to charity, family, or friends, far outpacing donations made by both Gen X and Boomers.
In other words, they don't do civil society like you religious crusaders would like. They do what works now instead.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

As for charitable donations, the same pattern emerges once again, with fully half of very religious Gen Zers contributing often or very often, while 29% of slightly religious and just 17% of nonreligious Gen Zers do the same.
I wonder if one were to control for strictly religious giving (i.e. giving to a church, and then claiming a tax deduction, increasing the tax burden for everyone else, while that church uses those funds to maintain its real estate, and increase is corporate investment hoard), how far a spread of charitable giving might we see?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:56 pm
As for charitable donations, the same pattern emerges once again, with fully half of very religious Gen Zers contributing often or very often, while 29% of slightly religious and just 17% of nonreligious Gen Zers do the same.
I wonder if one were to control for strictly religious giving (i.e. giving to a church, and then claiming a tax deduction, increasing the tax burden for everyone else, while that church uses those funds to maintain its real estate, and increase is corporate investment hoard), how far a spread of charitable giving might we see?
Exactly. How many Mormons over the years gave to the fund and took a tax deduction for it, and were otherwise limited in their giving because the 10% to the fund is a legit chunkachange?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I donate to a stray cat rescue n’ neuter, to the Sageland Collaborative (https://sagelandcollaborative.org/), to our local food bank, to our local homeless shelter, to the AT and PCT, and provide a home to our niece, her boyfriend, and her daughter. I also send my daughters money to help out with bills.

I doubt generosity or philanthropy will disappear if people aren’t giving their hard-earned money to a $250B+ corporation masquerading as a church. Weird that MG would think otherwise.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.