Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by honorentheos »

Here it is again. From your own sources. Turns out secular kids are performing better by your metrics than the category that includes Mormons.

Want to join me in recognizing it is propaganda now?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:08 am

Mormons may want to rethink their argument based on the study.
Where is the link to this table? Is it specific to GenZ?

That is the topic of the article referenced in the OP. The gradual decline in religious activity and the results that my come of it are the focus.

And to be clear, the ‘argument’ is being made by researchers outside of the LDS Church.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:29 am

Here it is again. From your own sources. Turns out secular kids are performing better by your metrics than the category that includes Mormons.

Want to join me in recognizing it is propaganda now?
Help me out. I’m not seeing this table in the links within the links I’ve posted on this thread. I’d like to see the sourcing of where the information came from and whether or not it is referring specifically to GenZ.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:37 am
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:08 am

Mormons may want to rethink their argument based on the study.
Where is the link to this table? Is it specific to GenZ?

That is the topic of the article referenced in the OP. The gradual decline in religious activity and the results that my come of it are the focus.

And to be clear, the ‘argument’ is being made by researchers outside of the LDS Church.

Regards,
MG
Boy do you like to be punished or what?

Ok, starting with your two links you will see this link to the source of the study being used:
https://www.neighborlyfaith.org/evangel ... ics-report

Now as Res IPSA mentioned, using it to access the Google Doc requires registering with them. Not something I'm going to do. But I am more than happy to read the essays they published out of it which you probably should have done, too.

Here's one:
https://www.neighborlyfaith.org/evangel ... -data-says

Out of the gate you find out this group was actually looking at EV kids compared to everyone else:

A new study from Neighborly Faith that surveyed 2,000 young people (Gen Z) reveals that young evangelicals are more civically engaged than their peers.

And the table is not very far in, end of point 1.

So again, you dropping Mormonism for Evangelism? Or would you care to join me in recognizing the data as propoganda?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:28 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:26 am

I think that a gradual move away from civil society in the sense that people step outside of their comfort zones and serve their neighbors and communities through ‘hands on’ service rather than simply writing out a check or giving online isn’t where we want to go.

I’m not convinced that relying on tried and true principles of ‘loving one’s neighbor’ through service is as ‘conservative’ as you make it out to be in the sense of it being ‘fuddy duddy’.

If, as the article points out, younger people are moving away from those tried and true principles taught ‘religiously’ in churches/synagogues/mosques towards a self constructed worldview which may or may not entail altruism to one’s neighbor and community as a key component, I see that as something to be concerned about.

Religious activity provides a tried and true template that encourages the practice and implementation of principles of charity and love.

Secularism cannot guarantee that.

Regards,
MG
Are you going to leave Mormonism for Evangelism?
No. What guarantees can secularism make for the future of civil society as described in the OP?

Secularism is weak sauce. It’s a philosophy that leads to something other than what tried and true principles of loving one’s neighbor and serving them in in that spirit of love have given us throughout religious history.

Granted, there have been folks that have ‘mucked up’ along the way. My contention however is that generational secularism would provide ample opportunity to muck things up with little or no standard or baseline to come back to.

Religious belief and practice has always provided that baseline/standard. I would think that you would want to see religion stick around for that reason if nothing else.

You and other secularists really have nothing solid to offer that can stand the test of time.

If the trends continue as touched upon in the OP I do worry about the future of civil society based on love and charity for one’s neighbor and community.

We’re moving towards governmental altruism as being a replacement. Where is the potential for individual growth and progress in that?

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:55 am
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:28 am

Are you going to leave Mormonism for Evangelism?
No. What guarantees can secularism make for the future of civil society as described in the OP?
What guarantee is there secularism will produce a religious society? You're kidding, right?
Secularism is weak sauce.
It's out performing Mormonism by the metrics that apparently matter to you. So...
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
We’re moving towards governmental altruism as being a replacement. Where is the potential for individual growth and progress in that?

Regards,
MG
Come on over to the Spirit Paradise forum and dip you Des News chocolate in the Fox News peanut butter over there. More than happy to see just how deep your political views are in the appropriate forum space.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
You and other secularists really have nothing solid to offer that can stand the test of time.
Come and see.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 am

So again, you dropping Mormonism for Evangelism? Or would you care to join me in recognizing the data as propoganda?
And again, no. Although, if true, I admire the evangelical youth for their adherence to principles that result in engagement with a civil society.

I think that this has application here:

The decline of religion has implications for American civic and social life as well. Religious Americans are generally more socially and civically active. However, the frequency of religious participation—not one’s religious identity—appears to be the most important factor in determining the level of engagement in other social and civic activities. Americans who regularly attend services are far more engaged in community life than are those who seldom or never attend religious services.

And although higher education has been shown to be strongly associated with an increased propensity toward joining social groups and civic associations, religion still appears to play a significant function.[6] There is evidence that education level and religious involvement both augment participation in community life. College-educated Americans who are religious tend to exhibit the highest levels of civic engagement.

https://www.americansurveycenter.org/re ... ith/#_edn6
I repeat, I don’t see what secularism really has to offer.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:57 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

What guarantee is there secularism will produce a religious society? You're kidding, right?
No. What guarantee does secularism offer towards an ongoing generational civil society rather than gradual dissolution of the same?

Regards,
MG