Thousands Oppose Jeffrey Holland's Commencement Speech

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Thousands Oppose Jeffrey Holland's Commencement Speech

Post by Kishkumen »

malkie wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:27 am
I'd like to know: WWCD? - what would Cassius do?
Always a good question to ask in academic contexts.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

bill4long wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 pm
I say let him show up, and let the attendees boo the hell of him. That would be way more fun than a simple cancel.
I thought I saw a walk-out planned. That could be effective. Just everyone go to the bathroom, get a drink, get some fresh air, during his speech.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 pm
bill4long wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 pm
I say let him show up, and let the attendees boo the hell of him. That would be way more fun than a simple cancel.
I thought I saw a walk-out planned. That could be effective. Just everyone go to the bathroom, get a drink, get some fresh air, during his speech.
I know I said earlier that I would not attend, but I think that this is more effective. Nobody will notice if even 10% don't turn up, but if even half that percentage stood up and turned their backs on him, and/or walked out, it would be very noticeable.
(not that my hypothetical "actions" matter, since I'm not invited anyway. :) )
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 pm
Perhaps some suitable location can be found, not on the SUU campus, and certainly not at commencement, where he can exemplify that topic: he can stand alone somewhere and talk to himself.
He could speak at the SUU LDS Institute. A tribute to Muskets of the Past at Mountain Meadows would be very topical for the local area,
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 am
malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 pm
Perhaps some suitable location can be found, not on the SUU campus, and certainly not at commencement, where he can exemplify that topic: he can stand alone somewhere and talk to himself.
He could speak at the SUU LDS Institute. A tribute to Muskets of the Past at Mountain Meadows would be very topical for the local area,
MOKSHA!!!!! Are you stirring the pot? :D
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

for what it's worth, the most effective protests I recall have been silent protests. Even something as simple as putting a white cross on top of the mortarboard with the name of a person who committed suicide.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 am
Moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 am

MOKSHA!!!!! Are you stirring the pot? :D
Not unless he has a stepladder and a long spoon.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

It’d be great if everyone would randomly play musket fire on their phones at full volume.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 am
It’d be great if everyone would randomly play musket fire on their phones at full volume.
:lol: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Graduation ceremonies involve much more than just students, faculty and administration. Familes and friends of the graduates come to celebrate their achievements. Graduation speeches are usually full of platitudes, go on too long, etc. before then the family and friends take their graduate and retreat to one of their homes, a picnic, dinner, etc. For the graduate, it caps his or her experience.

Jeffrey Holland might strike the appropriate tone and do well. He is, however, a divisive figure. He has made himself so. Selecting and having him give such an address at a university is repelling to many graduates and those that would like to attend and celebrate with their graduate. Those that made the choice have more to answer for than Holland, in my opinion. Why would they have done so when over the last several years SUU has likely made efforts to include many of those who Holland has pronounced his revulsion for? SUU took their tuition, is conferring upon them the degrees they have earned and yet now is essentially turning its back on them.

Holland is certainly not the only person who could have been selected. What criteria was used in his selection? The selection committee has created this mess and needs to provide answers.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats