Backyard Professor NEEDS your help! Please...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Backyard Professor NEEDS your help! Please...

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am working on having Jonathan Neville on my show Sunday!!! (???) For reals.

I haven't yet talked to him in person, but may I ask all of you for a HUGE favor? NOT a lot of your time (unless you wish to spend it helping me).

1. I most definitely want to bring in the Dan Peterson/Lou Midgley/FARMS/Mesoamerican/Peter Pan - Mike Parker themes! How sure are we actually that Mike Parker is Peter Pan?

2. Where are some Steve Smoot rantings about Neville? I want to brush up on the Neville Neville land things and if there are links, what are they?

3. I have no actual idea of who Neville is or what he thinks. Does he have an online presence, and if so, where can I research into his materials. All I know is he is TBM and a Heartlander. I am now really regretting not paying more attention to all the arguments for and against his views.

Any help will be appreciated. This could be a fascinating show Sunday... I'm just sayin...
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Backyard Professor NEEDS your help! Please...

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Hi, Philo.

I hope the interview goes well! In answer to your questions:

1. I would defer to folks who know more about Internet issues, but the Blogger IDs for “Peter Pan” and Mike Parker are the same. So either Pan = Parker, or someone hacked/hijacked Parker’s Blogger account. Plus, if we were wrong, the Mopologists would be crowing about it. I think it’s safe to say with a very high level of certainty that Parker is the guy.

2. For information on Smoot, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155787&sid=91dcaea7 ... c6b53b3b71

**I would add the caveat here that, of course, we no longer think that Smoot is “Peter Pan,” but Dr. Cam has made a rather convincing case that Smoot may still have been authoring material for the blog.

3. Neville apparently runs a lot of blogs so there shouldn’t be a shortage of material to draw upon. To me, he seems like a bit of an eccentric at best and a kook at worst: certainly he is nowhere near as bad or as fundamentally unethical as the Mopologists have been. (E.g., there is nothing like the attempts to interfere with people’s jobs, or stalking people clear over to New Zealand, or posting pics of Black people getting lynched as a “joke.”) The fact that the Mopologists have targeted him so aggressively is the very pinnacle of hypocrisy. That DCP would be so ‘aggrieved’ over criticism from Neville is knee-slappingly hilarious in its irony.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Smoot is acting as the other contributor to NNL (and probably does some editing duties since Mike Parker is low-grade midwit). He goes by the handle CPT Hook.

eta: Neville was at one time a prolific blogger:

https://www.blogger.com/profile/05379975395372054926

I believe most of them are defunct now.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

This is absolutely classic:
DCP wrote: I only began posting links here to the Neville-Neville Land blog after I found out that he had repeatedly taken direct aim at me. I continue posting such links because I regard such targeting (whether of me or, as he often does, of other Latter-day Saint writers and even, astonishingly, of Church leaders) as divisive and harmful to the Kingdom. He should stop it.
“Targeting…of other Latter-day Saint writers” is “divisive and harmful to the Kingdom”? How does this guy face himself in the mirror each morning? How many articles have been published in either the FARMS Review or on the Interpreter blog that did just what he’s decrying? Did Spencer Kraus not publish critical material on Neville? What about the attacks on Ben Park? Or the Transhumanists? Heck, DCP and John Gee were *called on the carpet* in front of Church leaders over their attacks on the Joseph Smith Papers Project!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

viewtopic.php?p=2827265#p2827265

Link is to a large comment section on Smoot's blog, includes Meldrum, Parker, Smoot comments. Lots of detail.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

THANKS YOUS PEOPLES!!!!!! I shall get busy educating myself. I really do appreciate it.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Can’t wait.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.plonialmonimormon.com/2018/ ... ullet.html

My goodness isn't everyone so grand at preening themselves as to their own vehement, valiant, justified and holy righteousness compared to the vile crudeness, subjectivity, apostasy, illogical, uncouth, irreverent, irrelevant, out of context, unscholarly thinking and conclusions of all others who fail to come to their own conclusions in the comments section! Talk about a bunch of stuffed turkeys strutting and squawking! My holy Gawd what a clown show! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the link whoever gave it for me to look up (Marcus).
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:17 am
Smoot is acting as the other contributor to NNL (and probably does some editing duties since Mike Parker is low-grade midwit). He goes by the handle CPT Hook.

eta: Neville was at one time a prolific blogger:

https://www.blogger.com/profile/05379975395372054926

I believe most of them are defunct now.

- Doc
Very, VERY HELPFUL! THANK YOU DOC!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Ask him why the former FARMS contingent is dripping with venom for the Heartlanders. It's like Gondor feeling an omnipresent need to attack Arnor, and it is both amusing and frightening to view it from the Shire.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace