The generosity of Mormon Apostles

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

The generosity of Mormon Apostles

Post by drumdude »

“Faithful Mormon” wrote: There is an article in today's Tribune about Elder Stevenson's company, iFit (a.k.a. ICON Health & Fitness) and their delayed IPO. You can go read it on the Trib's website if you'd like. The public filings indicate that Elder Stevenson could earn as much as a billion dollars from the IPO.

I have some personal knowledge and interaction with one of the three stockholders named in the article. For purposes of their privacy and mine, I am not going to name which of the three it is. There are a lot of people online who are hurling unfounded accusations simply because this IPO involves an Apostle and a lot of money.

Without going into detail, there was a point in my life where my family and I were in a very, very difficult financial position. I wanted to serve a mission, but the finances just were not there. One of these three men, paid for my mission entirely. He does not know that I know that he did it, and I have always debated whether to thank him or not because I know it was important to him to do it anonymously. I am extremely confident that all three men have helped countless people with their wealth and that they've done it as Jesus admonished, quietly, and only for the pure purpose of helping others.

I am sharing this with you because I think this is important information to have. It also really bothers me to see the attacks online. You really can't win with some people.
Elder Stevenson is noteworthy as the first billionaire apostle for the Mormon church.

Is anyone else here aware of Mormon businessmen regularly paying for missionaries’ missions? Was your mission paid for?

https://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaint ... ifits_ipo/
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The generosity of Mormon Apostles

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well. When I served my mission way back in 1990, I lucked out because it was to Peru and it was before the change to everyone-pays-the-same-amount general fund. I do recall Ward members helping out a bit, if I recall correctly, from what my mother said.

I guess, for me, if this man is paying for other people’s missions, I dunno. It’s kind of heart tendery for me. I guess I’m a sucker for altruism, even if the result is something I don’t totally support. The act is humane and charitable, and that’s something to applaud, I suppose. 50 points to Gryffinmorm.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 pm
Well. When I served my mission way back in 1990, I lucked out because it was to Peru and it was before the change to everyone-pays-the-same-amount general fund. I do recall Ward members helping out a bit, if I recall correctly, from what my mother said.

I guess, for me, if this man is paying for other people’s missions, I dunno. It’s kind of heart tendery for me. I guess I’m a sucker for altruism, even if the result is something I don’t totally support. The act is humane and charitable, and that’s something to applaud, I suppose. 50 points to Gryffinmorm.

- Doc
It still clashes with the church’s message about paying your tithing even when you can’t afford to. And it sounds like this kid was just lucky to know a wealthy Mormon leader or else he would have missed out on serving.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Half of my mission was paid for by my local 70s Quorum. I have always been grateful.

More recently I funded the entire mission of a young man in the ward whose family was strapped for cash.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I helped send my brothers on missions by eating a lot of potatoes and oatmeal, while wearing thrift store clothes.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Compared to EPA, this isn’t much of a story. It is a mistake, I think, to focus on individual generosity or stinginess when the church has untold billions of dollars that it uses primarily to increase its wealth.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:44 am
Compared to EPA, this isn’t much of a story. It is a mistake, I think, to focus on individual generosity or stinginess when the church has untold billions of dollars that it uses primarily to increase its wealth.
I wonder if future missionaries will balk at the requirement they pay their own way given the revelation about just how much their church has sitting in the bank gathering interest.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:17 am
Kishkumen wrote:
I wonder if future missionaries will balk at the requirement they pay their own way given the revelation about just how much their church has sitting in the bank gathering interest.
Of course they will! And very rightly so. Me? pay for my own mission to convince people to join and give of their own money when it's riding on $120,000,000,000?! I just don't think so.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:17 am
Kishkumen wrote:
I guess there is modern revelation after all.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm not one for using a good deed as a springboard for criticism. The apostle did a good deed by paying for the young man's mission. And he didn't toot his own horn about it. Good for him. in my opinion, that's what helping others is all about.

My mission was relatively inexpensive, and out turns out I had had saved enough money by working during high school to pay for it. Because my parents had moved, I had only been in my "home ward" a couple of months before I received my call. I didn't ask for any financial help, and I don't recall receiving any. Growing up, I knew we could donate to a missionary fund which I think the ward could use for young people that couldn't afford to go on a mission.

I think there may be something to the notion that financially investing in one's mission increases the sense of personal investment in it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.