Church Gives More Last Year Under Increased Scrutiny

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Church Gives More Last Year Under Increased Scrutiny

Post by malkie »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:54 am
I see the twelve suddenly galavanting ministering to countries far and wide, meeting with local dignitaries and then, after pleasantries, talking about “being able” to make a donation to aid local humanitarian crises.

Good for them, finally, but I can’t help but think this all comes with an air of sadness. It’s all being done too late to rescue church leaders from the shame of having illegally hid immense wealth for decades, while pretending to be both poor and generous (it was neither).

Countries don’t want Mormon theology, and definitely don’t want Mormon concealment tricks. But anyone will gladly accept some money, especially some repentance money. So, let them pay for their sins of omission (and, yes, also commission). Let them pay mightily.
A few years ago, If I recall correctly, the vp of Zimbabwe asked a visiting apostle for financial aid for a water treatment project, and was told that the church was not wealthy. At the same time the EPA was sitting on a sum of money that was approximately the same as the entire GDP of the country.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:36 am
A few years ago, If I recall correctly, the vp of Zimbabwe asked a visiting apostle for financial aid for a water treatment project, and was told that the church was not wealthy. At the same time the EPA was sitting on a sum of money that was approximately the same as the entire GDP of the country.
I have heard that story before too. I am not defending the church here, but the way the financial information is set up in the church, unless that apostle was part of the 1st presidency, he would have no knowledge about the amount of the money the church had at that time. Only the 1st presidency and the presiding bishopric are privy to the finances. So it is likely the apostle was sincere in what he told the vp of the country, but clueless to how wealthy the church really was.

Also I am guessing that the increase in money spent in charitable work might be, in part, due to the fact that by now all of the top leadership is aware of that fund, and when a particular leader is trying to fund something under his stewardship, they can't just tell him there isn't enough money. I'll bet it just wasn't everyday members that they were worried about when it cam to this huge fund, it was also their own lower leadership, who now would ask for more $$$$ to accomplish whatever task they are assigned.

And now, in developing countries it will be a lot harder to explain why the church just doesn't foot the bill for building new chapels.

The "How are we going to pay for that?" excuse is no longer available.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

That's true, as far as I know. So not fair to blame the apostle. Thank you for correcting the information.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!