Mike Parker Undermines the Classic “How could he have known?” Argument

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Mike Parker Undermines the Classic “How could he have known?” Argument

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:28 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:06 am
He’s a professor. He teaches adult Sunday school in Hurricane.
I must have been misinformed. I assumed that I could trust FAIR for Parker's creds:
FAIR wrote:Mike Parker is a business and marketing analyst with twenty years’ experience in the financial services industry. He is a returning student currently pursuing a BS in Business Finance from Dixie State University in St. George, Utah. He also has eight years’ experience in corporate training, and currently teaches an adult religion class in the Hurricane, Utah, area. Mike and his wife, Denise, have three children.
http://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/authors/parker-mike
He never got it?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:42 am
malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:28 am

I must have been misinformed. I assumed that I could trust FAIR for Parker's creds:

http://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/authors/parker-mike
He never got it?
I don't know if he got the degree, but in any case I don't think the Mopologists would consider a mere BS as making him a scholar. Was that not one of their criticisms of Brent Metcalfe?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:21 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:42 am

He never got it?
I don't know if he got the degree, but in any case I don't think the Mopologists would consider a mere BS as making him a scholar. Was that not one of their criticisms of Brent Metcalfe?
It absolutely was.

It’s also ironic that every single subject that Dan is currently studying for his new book ideas, has nothing to do with his area of study for his PhD.

He should consider going back to school to learn about those topics before publishing, in my opinion.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Mike Parker is arguing with Neville about whether Joseph Smith used the Urim and Thummim to translate the Book of Mormon or a stone in a hat?

Good Lord! Mormons, making Scientologists look good since 1955.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Calling all clowns. The mopes need arguments.

Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:32 pm
I feel like I’m watching two factions argue over who’s more powerful, Gandalf or the Balrog. It’s the craziest crap to watch adults fight over their imaginations and which imagination is “totally normal and not at all weird.”

Also, “Nines” is a real piece of work. He’s like the genetically spliced love child of Kiwi, Midgley, and CPT Hook, a.k.a. Smoot. Lots of raged and pent up anger.

- Doc
lol. but, he needs to keep up, or, at least try not to embarass his superiors.
Nines wrote:The only issues which I am interested in discussing, precisely because I know that any invocation of "invisible beings" or "booga-booga" or "woo-woo" is an automatic game over for meaningful conversation, are historical issues,
um....
DCP, 2 days ago wrote:Booga booga woo woo!
DVP, 2 days ago wrote:Booga booga woo woo...
DCP, 3 days ago wrote:Woo woo! Booga booga!
DCP, 5 days ago wrote:Booga-booga woo-woo.
Game over, according to Nines. Agreed.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:18 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:32 pm
I feel like I’m watching two factions argue over who’s more powerful, Gandalf or the Balrog. It’s the craziest crap to watch adults fight over their imaginations and which imagination is “totally normal and not at all weird.”

Also, “Nines” is a real piece of work. He’s like the genetically spliced love child of Kiwi, Midgley, and CPT Hook, a.k.a. Smoot. Lots of raged and pent up anger.

- Doc
lol. but, he needs to keep up, or, at least try not to embarass his superiors.
Nines wrote:The only issues which I am interested in discussing, precisely because I know that any invocation of "invisible beings" or "booga-booga" or "woo-woo" is an automatic game over for meaningful conversation, are historical issues,
um....
DCP, 2 days ago wrote:Booga booga woo woo!
DVP, 2 days ago wrote:Booga booga woo woo...
DCP, 3 days ago wrote:Woo woo! Booga booga!
DCP, 5 days ago wrote:Booga-booga woo-woo.
Game over, according to Nines. Agreed.
The ‘booga’ and ‘woo’ is strong with Peter Padawan:
An Urim and Thummim is a seer stone and vice versa. The Nephite interpreters were ancient seer stones. It doesn’t (and shouldn’t) matter what device the Prophet Joseph used to translate various parts of the Book of Mormon.
-_-

The fact that an adult unironically wrote those three sentences is bonkers. Imma say, “Nah, dawg. It matters. It matters a whole damned lot. You gon’ tell me, that you, a grown ass man, believe in magic rocks n’ crap? Dawg. You stupid. They ain’t no seer nuthin’. They ain’t no magic rocks. They ain’t no iStone, sci-fi, Star Trek, space rocks from the future, either. Stupid ass.”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You seem kind of obsessed with DCP and Mormon apologetics. Can’t you just let people believe what they want to believe?

People are absolutely free to believe what they want to believe. Not all beliefs are true, though, and some beliefs are based on flawed reasoning, faulty methodology, or biased interpretation. To one extent or another we’re all prone to making such errors, but the Mormon apologetic movement is particularly afflicted by them.

Daniel Peterson has set forth specific propositions that are at odds with the historical record, at odds with what has been taught by leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and at odds with careful analysis of the data. He’s free to believe whatever he wants to believe, but when he publicly advocates for his beliefs, then he opens himself up to review, criticism, and rebuttal.

I’m sure that Daniel Peterson is a nice person, but his words are often toxic.

Also, based on specific things that Daniel Peterson has said and done, I question his sense of good judgment in some matters.
Adapted from "Peter Pan" / Mike Parker circa 2023.

https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2023 ... swers.html
Mike Parker wrote:You seem kind of obsessed with Jonathan Neville and Heartlanders. Can’t you just let people believe what they want to believe?

People are absolutely free to believe what they want to believe. Not all beliefs are true, though, and some beliefs are based on flawed reasoning, faulty methodology, or biased interpretation. To one extent or another we’re all prone to making such errors, but the Heartland movement is particularly afflicted by them.

Jonathan Neville has set forth specific propositions that are at odds with the historical record, at odds with what has been taught by leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and at odds with careful analysis of the data. He’s free to believe whatever he wants to believe, but when he publicly advocates for his beliefs, then he opens himself up to review, criticism, and rebuttal.

I believe that his teachings will destroy faith and confidence in The Church of Jesus Christ and its divinely ordained leaders. As I wrote above, I’m sure that Jonathan Neville is a nice person, but his words are spiritually toxic. The Neville-Neville Land blog exists to expose and examine his teachings and the erroneous statements of others in the Heartland movement.

Also, based on specific things that Neville has said and done, I question his sense of good judgment in some matters.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Mike Parker wrote:Also, based on specific things that Neville has said and done, I question his sense of good judgment in some matters.
OH, THE IRONY!!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:54 am
Mike Parker wrote:Also, based on specific things that Neville has said and done, I question his sense of good judgment in some matters.
OH, THE IRONY!!
The blind leading the blind... yeah Neville is actually trying to take Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and their comments seriously. How dastardly! Oh those wicked Heartland apostates, agreeing with Joseph Smith instead of ignoring him in order to make their theories align with supposed scholarly and archaeological materials that would help maintain faith in the Book of Mormon like Mesoamerican scholars in the church do! :lol: :lol: :lol: