Death without the comfort of the Restored Gospel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Death without the comfort of the Restored Gospel

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:47 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 pm
I realize that people grieve in different ways, but this was really quite tacky on the apologist’s part. Posting it to the blog cheapens the seriousness of it. Plus, in the same breath that he posts it, he’s busy insulting gemli and writing mocking responses to Shaquille O’atmeal.
Fact. Dr. O’atmeal gives a legitimate restaurant recommendation, and the proprietor mocks him with juvenile ChatGPT nonsense.
I saw that. Dr. Peterson admitted at one point that he’s “not a foodie” and that he basically does not understand food beyond the Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell. So, it’s no surprise that O’atmeal’s recommendations make him uncomfortable.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I don’t see anything wrong with the text quoted in the OP. Seems pretty standard to me. The death of a loved one usually prompts people to reflect on the brevity of life and how that time is used.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 pm
I realize that people grieve in different ways, but this was really quite tacky on the apologist’s part. Posting it to the blog cheapens the seriousness of it. Plus, in the same breath that he posts it, he’s busy insulting gemli and writing mocking responses to Shaquille O’atmeal.
Is it possible that letter was a "prop" of sorts, intended to be posted on the blog from the beginning as a way to beat the critics with a stick?

Imagine a thought process like this:

Damn that Gemli. He's going to be dead forever one day so why does he waste his breath? It must be so cold and lonely from where he's sitting, aging, while those a bit ahead pass on into the abyss. And no comfort comes to poor Gemli, each death of an acquaintance is the tick of the clock's hand. When will the clock chime, Gemli? His stress mounts. Hey, I have an idea. The Johnson kids just lost their mother. I think I'll write a letter reminding them of the hope the gospel brings to us, and then post it on my blog to pour lemon juice into Gemli's wounds; to remind him of the warmth and comfort the believer has that he will not experience. Ha ha ha, this going to get him soo good!