Church Challenging Seniors to Serve TWO Missions!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Church Challenging Seniors to Serve TWO Missions!

Post by consiglieri »

This seems extraordinarily exploitative.

Even for Mormons.

This from a FQ70 member on 3/19/23.

https://youtu.be/m2698O6FOAM
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Church Challenging Seniors to Serve TWO Missions!

Post by Dr Exiled »

Why not 5 missions? F____ the grand-kids!
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Missionary numbers must be even worse than I had imagined. Maybe Jeffrey R. Holland thought that if everyone serves 2 missions his prediction of over 100,000 missionaries will finally come true. Math was never Jeffrey R. Holland's strong point.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Seniors with skills can be a no-cost alternative to high-cost labor.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I have a friend whose parents served a mission soon after his dad retired. His dad was a lawyer in real estate or similar. So they lived at home and went downtown Salt Lake five days a week. His dad was free lawyer labor and his mom sometimes got to help with filing, but mostly was left to just hang out on a couch and she could read or do small craft projects. It was important she be there cause senior couple mission.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Next they will just tell the kids come home after your missions, get married, and head right back out into the mission field full time. Have your kids while proselyting, keep tracting 4-6 hrs/daily, and raise your family in the mission field. Don't worry about coming home, stay on missions until you retire. Take a week off, then go back out.... and the Celestial Kingdom will be yours!
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:38 am
Missionary numbers must be even worse than I had imagined. Maybe Jeffrey R. Holland thought that if everyone serves 2 missions his prediction of over 100,000 missionaries will finally come true. Math was never Jeffrey R. Holland's strong point.
You are right about the math. I remember Holland talking about how society moves here and the church moves there. He caught himself describing Zeno's paradox as it applies to Mormonism's race with society.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

To be fair, I'd rather have a conversation about religion with a senior citizen than an 18 year old.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 pm
To be fair, I'd rather have a conversation about religion with a senior citizen than an 18 year old.
Here, here! That's why my show on Sunday with Jonathan Neville on the Book of Mormon will be much better and actually educational with his maturity and tremendous knowledge than if I had one of the Interpreter's cheer leaders braying about their superiority.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:15 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 pm
Here, here! That's why my show on Sunday with Jonathan Neville on the Book of Mormon will be much better and actually educational with his maturity and tremendous knowledge than if I had one of the Interpreter's cheer leaders braying about their superiority.
If not braying about their superiority, the Interpreter folks would have nothing to say. Just radio silence.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats