Backyard Professor Hosts Jonathan Neville - Heartland Geography of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Backyard Professor Hosts Jonathan Neville - Heartland Geography of the Book of Mormon

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Just listened to: Backyard Professor LIVE! With Benny Hinrichs - There Were Hebrew Jaredites?!

Mike Parker popped in and told BYP that he will participate in tomorrow's BYP Live with Jonathan Neville. This should be quite the show.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Backyard Professor Hosts Jonathan Neville - Heartland Geography of the Book of Mormon

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:11 am
Just listened to: Backyard Professor LIVE! With Benny Hinrichs - There Were Hebrew Jaredites?!

Mike Parker popped in and told BYP that he will participate in tomorrow's BYP Live with Jonathan Neville. This should be quite the show.
Are you serious or joking? I had that screen covering the comments all show so I didn't get to see who was saying what, so I'm not sure if you are making a joke or not. I think it would be cool if Mike popped in... the audience alone would absolutely thrash him silly if he tries anything stupid... What I would absolutely LOVE to see is Shulem and Parker. Now that's worth paying to watch... Mesoamerica vs Heartland... starring Parker and Shulem. Oh good gawd that would make my year!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:02 am
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:11 am

Are you serious or joking? I had that screen covering the comments all show so I didn't get to see who was saying what, so I'm not sure if you are making a joke or not. I think it would be cool if Mike popped in... the audience alone would absolutely thrash him silly if he tries anything stupid... What I would absolutely LOVE to see is Shulem and Parker. Now that's worth paying to watch... Mesoamerica vs Heartland... starring Parker and Shulem. Oh good gawd that would make my year!
Philo,

Yes, Mike made a brief appearance in the comment section and talked with Kishkumen about being on your show tomorrow as long as it doesn't get too hostile. Translation: Mike will appear very briefly tomorrow until anyone makes the slightest negative comment. Then, Mike will immediately leave and post on his blog (nevillenevilleland) that he appeared and was going to take on Jonathan Neville and BYP, but it was just too hostile. Mike can then claim victory....
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I hope Mike Parker does show up. No doubt BYP will treat him kindly.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:12 am
Philo Sofee wrote:

Philo,

Yes, Mike made a brief appearance in the comment section and talked with Kishkumen about being on your show tomorrow as long as it doesn't get too hostile. Translation: Mike will appear very briefly tomorrow until anyone makes the slightest negative comment. Then, Mike will immediately leave and post on his blog (nevillenevilleland) that he appeared and was going to take on Jonathan Neville and BYP, but it was just too hostile. Mike can then claim victory....
Did he appear in the comment section as himself or as Peter Pan?

Edit: just went back and saw he used his own name.
Last edited by drumdude on Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:12 am
Philo Sofee wrote:

Philo,

Yes, I went back through and found where both Richard Nyguen (sp?!) and Mike Parker wrote comments. I would like to have Mike ON the show to clarify the Mesoamerican model. I look forward to Mike's comments. And while I don't have a call in, I certainly will field questions and he can ask Jonathan anything and all things.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
What I would absolutely LOVE to see is Shulem and Parker. Now that's worth paying to watch... Mesoamerica vs Heartland... starring Parker and Shulem. Oh good gawd that would make my year!

I appreciate the vote of confidence and the plug. Been sick as a dog and my voice is totally shot. Tested negative for Covid but that's hard to believe. I'll make every effort to watch the live show Sunday night. As you know, things pertaining to early Book of Mormon production have my attention as of late. You know I don't limit myself to thinking inside the box. I go straight to the cosmos, baby! Where ever it takes me! The box is as big as the universe!

(sneezing & coughing)

:(

PS. Yes, Shulem barks a lot and makes noise at times. But his bite is much worse than his bark. OMFG. When I bite, I go for the kill.

Box in, pin down, and lunge for the throat. Show no mercy.

;)

Hey, Philo, it may interest you to know that I was a pretty good chess player when a youth. I won a 12 and younger chess championship for the Seattle North Stake back in the day. I fooled that boy into thinking he could take my rook with a pretended gesture. He bought it, and then I checkmated him! Sweet satisfaction.

:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I'm sorry to hear you are ill, darn it... wishes for getting better quick!

That's cool about your chess adventure... fun times!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Thanks for all who came and said hi and even those who could stay. Paul Osborne, I gave you some good plugs, and yes, I admit, it got the better of me a wee bit, but I slapped Mike Parker (Richard Nygun [however the pseudoname is spelled] asked if Jonathan could ever sit down and be friends with Mike Parker) Steve Smoot and Dan Peterson and the Mesoamerican cult group. I told them if that question was to me I would expect them to grow in maturity and quit trying to be snarky like Dan Peterson and show some scholarship instead of name calling, and then Neville answered in a much nicer vein. In all it was a good session, lots of fun, lots of interesting challenges from the chat, we will do more and have more Q & A with Neville on another session soon. He is very open and willing to discuss stuff. I also openly invited any Mesoamerican scholars to present their views which I will legitimately give them their voices as well as I have Neville.
It's discussion, not argument, and I am enjoying having it this way, even though I disagree with who I hosted, it's fair to give him his say so... it will be so with Mesoamericanists as well.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:01 am
Thanks for all who came and said hi and even those who could stay. Paul Osborne, I gave you some good plugs

Thanks for that. I enjoyed the show.

Vogel is mistaken in his constant assertion that distance wasn't a concern to Joseph Smith's Book of Mormon storytelling in relation to geography with New York Cumorah being half a world away from South America. Distance, time, and measurement was keenly on Joseph's mind as he unpacked his stories in his fake novel. Delmarva was the template he used to piece stories together in a conglomerate of the mainland and northward into the Great Lakes region. I'm afraid Vogel doesn't understand how weak his theory is. I don't give a damn what the Pratts said. I don't care what Joseph Smith said after the fact! The Book of Mormon speaks for itself, and to hell what Joseph Smith said after that! Smith said very little about geography and most of that came much later when discussions were brought up about ancient ruins down south. Other than that, Smith didn't want to discuss the geography of the Book of Mormon and I can understand his reasons!

Vogel is very good on historical stuff but when it comes to the geography, he really sucks. Brain fart!

Sorry, but that's my opinion.