Peterson bears his testimony...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Peterson bears his testimony...

Post by Markk »

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it seems to me Dan has had his testimony rocked recently. Maybe he didn't realize it, but it is an adult scholarly way of saying..." I love my mommy and daddy, I know the church is true, and that Joseph Smith is a true prophet, and the Book of Mormon Interpreter is true ..."

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... from-here/
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Peterson bears his testimony...

Post by Philo Sofee »

From Peterson's abstract
There is abundant evidence to justify discipleship, but there can also be plausible-seeming grounds, if one prefers, for rejecting it.
Pffffft!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

DCP wrote:Every once in a while, I read hostile statements online about the mindset of Latter-day Saint apologists. Some critics claim, for instance, that we’re in it for the money, perhaps even drawing highly lucrative personal incomes for our apologetics from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He spelled the name of the church correctly.

:o

Shocking!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Every time there is a protagonist in a story, there needs to be an apologist to balance things out. Part of the cosmic Yin/Yang. Remember the story of The Three Musketeers and Stake President Richelieu.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Looks like we all noticed the same thing!

Lol
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:42 pm
DCP wrote:Every once in a while, I read hostile statements online about the mindset of Latter-day Saint apologists. Some critics claim, for instance, that we’re in it for the money, perhaps even drawing highly lucrative personal incomes for our apologetics from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He spelled the name of the church correctly.

:o

Shocking!
He got paid to do it. :D
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Markk wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:01 pm
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it seems to me Dan has had his testimony rocked recently. Maybe he didn't realize it, but it is an adult scholarly way of saying..." I love my mommy and daddy, I know the church is true, and that Joseph Smith is a true prophet, and the Book of Mormon Interpreter is true ..."

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... from-here/
Yeah, I think you are reading this wrong.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

how...?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:25 pm
how...?
Everything he writes here is in line with his advertised writing projects. He has talked about writing on the topic of the grounds for belief, and this looks more or less like a short form version of that discussion.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:48 pm
Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:25 pm
how...?
Everything he writes here is in line with his advertised writing projects. He has talked about writing on the topic of the grounds for belief, and this looks more or less like a short form version of that discussion.
I disagree, he starts out with his typical being a victim...which is expected, he then moves on to bolstering his belief, along with his "tribe," ironically speaking only for himself, yet for others at the same time.

He goes on to counter the argument of critics, I believe like Sandra Tanner stating, "they lost" (she stated "we won") ...by more or less stating the apologetics do not matter because he, and by default those that he is not speaking for, walk by faith. He the quotes 2 Nephi as a proof text for that thought. Then secular evidence before stating..."There is enough secular evidence for the claims of the Restoration to justify commitment to its principles and to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which teaches them and which offers the requisite ordinances."

In closing he speaks of the HG being a key in keeping this faith by having a burning [in the bosom] ...which we all know is a standard tag line in a testimony.

..."But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right. ..."

He then goes onto state how it is all possible (apologetics/interpreter) is possible because they believe.

Again, to me, this all read like a surrender that they failed, and falls back to it doesn't matter because they have faith. I see in sorts, a white flag in all this, and a testimony that the gospel is true, because of his faith, not because of any apologetics.

I also believe, and I mean this, that Sandra's stating "we won" in huge, and should be at the top of Scratch's list this year. With all the pod casts, Mormon Stories, Reel, Radio Free Mormon, and even pro podcasts like Mormonism with the Murph...they are buried alive, and their voice can't penetrate through the truths coming out, and the Tanners were paramount in all this.

Remember the early days when we were arguing King James Only, Adieu, quakers on the moon...etc.? It has come a long way, so much so that the church is countering what the monologists used to champion. And the Interpreter is slowly falling in line, having to admit things like the stone in the hat and money digging...which in the early days they denied like the plague.

Read his article again in this light.