President Nelson Addresses Sic Et Non, NNL And The Mopologists

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

President Nelson Addresses Sic Et Non, NNL And The Mopologists

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

President Nelson didn't mince words in expressing his displeasure with the Mopologists. It was a harsh rebuke and much needed spanking.

Let's see if the Mopologists will obey the Prophet.
"I am greatly concerned that so many people seem to believe that it is completely acceptable to condemn, malign and vilify anyone who does not agree with them. Many seem eager to damage another’s reputation with pathetic and pithy barbs.”

“How we speak to and about others at home, at church, at work and online really matters.”

Nelson besieged members to “interact with others in a higher, holier way.”

The president urged members to “lay aside bitterness … to cease insisting that it is your way or no way….Now is the time to bury your weapons of war.”

“If your verbal arsenal is filled with insults and accusations, now is the time to put them away,” Nelson said.

And a church filled with such peacemakers, he said, could be “a light on the hill.”
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/04 ... onference/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: President Nelson Addresses Sic Et Non, NNL And The Mopologists

Post by drumdude »

What happened to Holland’s “defend the church with muskets?”
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:55 pm
Maybe this is why Holland was out sick this weekend.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:55 pm
It got shot down.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Daniel C. Peterson's, Lou Midgley's, Steve Smoot's, Mike Parker's, and all other apologist's prophet, seer, and revelator Russell M. Nelson noted in General Conference 2023:

“Civility and decency seem to have disappeared during this era of polarization and passionate disagreements. Vulgarity, faultfinding and evil speaking of others are all too common,” the 98-year-old Nelson said while seated on a chair (as he did at last October’s conference). “Too many pundits, politicians, entertainers and other influencers throw insults constantly. I am greatly concerned that so many people seem to believe that it is completely acceptable to condemn, malign and vilify anyone who does not agree with them. Many seem eager to damage another’s reputation with pathetic and pithy barbs.”
This describes the Mopologists blogs, papers, and online "services to the church and Jesus" to perfection. They have accused (ignorantly and grossly incorrectly) Jonathan Neville and others who see things differently, though remaining faithful Latter Day Saints, of everything evil and maligned and vilified them non-stop FOR YEARS, not to mention non-members such as Gemli. Even the evil speaking against other publishers you don't like, like Signature Books.

All eyes are watching you now Mormons. Do you actually believe the living prophet is valid and his words worth following? Now you can PROVE you have a testimony through how you interact online. We await the verdict over the next 2-3 decades of your changed behavior, if there is any.
Though I no longer believe Nelson is a prophet, I will attempt to put his words into action myself. I am also guilty of sometimes losing my decorum and really giving a fabulous raving rant. Though deserved, in my opinion, I will try to clean up my own presentations, though I will continue to go straight to the problem(s) I see with leadership pronouncements, revelations, etc., as well as weird interpretations, etc. and call them out on them. I shall make a better effort to do it in a more gentlemanly manner and use nicer words. How about it Mopes (Mormon apologists)? You gonna let an apostate outdo you for civility and better words to those who disagree with you?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

We have seen defenders on this board justify being unpleasant towards critics because the critics were unpleasant first, or because the critics "deserve" it.

I would be pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless, if the Mopologists and other defenders of Mormonism recognise their prophet's words as being intended to apply to them.

But who knows? Even a week or two of "a church filled with such peacemakers", in order to fulfill a prophetic admonition would be wonderful to behold, "... a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder."

ETA: I agree with Philo - we should entice them with "more gentlemanly manner and [] nicer words."
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

I don't think DCP will change his ways. He has previously arrogated himself to be fulfilling a more important Mormon role/knowing more than the Big 15 "prophet, seers and revelators." He can rationalize that Nelson is past due to pass through the veil and/or isn't coherent. "Metcalf is a Butthead" lives on. I wonder if DCP yet regrets having encouraged Dr. Greg Smith to draft the 100-page plus hit piece on John Dehlin, a move that ended up with DCP, Hamlin et al. getting booted out of NAMIRS.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I would bet money this was said to prevent the leaders from being maligned for their financial shenanigans.

The real message is "shut up and obey your leaders." Don't question those who blindly follow us and idiotically come up with a nonsensical apologetic regarding the recent SEC problems. And don't question us on finances, ever.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:17 am
I would bet money this was said to prevent the leaders from being maligned for their financial shenanigans.

The real message is "shut up and obey your leaders." Don't question those who blindly follow us and idiotically come up with a nonsensical apologetic regarding the recent SEC problems. And don't question us on finances, ever.
Oh they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late to prevent being properly and justifiably maligned... :D
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What if the apologists argue that they were given a pass from respectable genteel behavior by Elder Neil Maxwell who urged them to fight in a guerilla-style manner against all that they deem enemies of the Church?

Does this so-called "Later Prophet" have the commission to countermand the orders of Elder Maxwell? What of the fine tradition of unbroken Friday raids into enemy territory?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace