Mormonism is a cult

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Mormonism is a cult

Post by Gadianton »

Since I am such a weak, low value idiot, could you please enlighten me?
I already did in the OP and you didn't read it. Why should I try again?

You didn't respond to anything I wrote, you just got mad about people in general calling anything a cult. You didn't need to read what I wrote, because in your mind I'm just repeating what has been said before that you think you're familiar with.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Congratulations, you have arrived. You’re in good company with Ed Decker and others who in one way or another throw ‘cult bombs’ at the church and its people. You may be somewhat more sophisticated than Decker. I’ll hand you that. 😉
…public perception of Mormons remains ambivalent. Laurie Maffly-Kipp, professor at the University of North Carolina, wryly summed up deep-seated distrust of Mormons as the invasion of the body snatchers syndrome: “While Mormons embody the economic and moral success endorsed by the American Dream, they also subscribe to beliefs that to many, seem peculiar—even bizarre. . . . No matter how much Mormon behavior conforms to what most consider admirable (and maybe especially because they look so wholesome), some Americans are convinced Mormons secretly await an opportunity to take over the world” (277). This perception will continue as long as Mormons remain in the world but not of the world.
In the concluding chapter, Haws writes that the Church wants to be accepted as Christian, but with a distinctive brand. Terryl Givens stated the paradox this way: “You want to have acceptability . . . [so] that you can fraternize with . . . fellow Christians, but at the same time you don’t want to feel so comfortable that there’s nothing to mark you as a people who are distinct, who have a special body of teachings, a special [body of] responsibilities” (280). This different flair will likely always set us apart from our fellow Christians as well as our fellow Americans.

https://rsc.byu.edu/vol-16-no-1-2015/re ... perception
Yes, the church is peculiar, but it’s not a cult. As you have separated yourself from the church you find yourself of/in a different ‘world’ than that which a Latter-day Saint lives in.

Perceptions will vary depending on the ‘world’ that you live in.

You, of course, are entitled to your view. Others in this neck of the woods will jump on board.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:28 am
Congratulations, you have arrived. You’re in good company with Ed Decker and others who in one way or another throw ‘cult bombs’ at the church and its people. You may be somewhat more sophisticated than Decker. I’ll hand you that. 😉
…public perception of Mormons remains ambivalent. Laurie Maffly-Kipp, professor at the University of North Carolina, wryly summed up deep-seated distrust of Mormons as the invasion of the body snatchers syndrome: “While Mormons embody the economic and moral success endorsed by the American Dream, they also subscribe to beliefs that to many, seem peculiar—even bizarre. . . . No matter how much Mormon behavior conforms to what most consider admirable (and maybe especially because they look so wholesome), some Americans are convinced Mormons secretly await an opportunity to take over the world” (277). This perception will continue as long as Mormons remain in the world but not of the world.
In the concluding chapter, Haws writes that the Church wants to be accepted as Christian, but with a distinctive brand. Terryl Givens stated the paradox this way: “You want to have acceptability . . . [so] that you can fraternize with . . . fellow Christians, but at the same time you don’t want to feel so comfortable that there’s nothing to mark you as a people who are distinct, who have a special body of teachings, a special [body of] responsibilities” (280). This different flair will likely always set us apart from our fellow Christians as well as our fellow Americans.

https://rsc.byu.edu/vol-16-no-1-2015/re ... perception
Yes, the church is peculiar, but it’s not a cult. As you have separated yourself from the church you find yourself of/in a different ‘world’ than that which a Latter-day Saint lives in.

Perceptions will vary depending on the ‘world’ that you live in.

You, of course, are entitled to your view. Others in this neck of the woods will jump on board.

Regards,
MG
-_-

https://tokensandsigns.org/the-267-hidd ... -woodruff/

And:

https://exponentii.org/blog/mary-jane-w ... ead-wives/
A few months ago while I was preparing a talk on family history for my daughter to give in Primary, I discovered that Zera Pulsipher, at the age of 68, had polygamously married a 14 year old girl named Martha Hughes. Martha had her first baby a year later. She would have five children with him in total.
Your cult is founded in degeneracy, your current prophet is a polygamist by your own standards, and you’ll defend this to your dying breath which makes you a cultist.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Calling it a cult sounds so pejorative. Why not say it is a church with cult-like behavior?

Why even mention the sacred ordinance of nude clogging in the Temple?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups

https://www.icsahome.com/articles/characteristics

“Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members, former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may have been manipulated, exploited, even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may be helpful in assessing a particular group or relationship.
Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine whether there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a “cult scale” or a definitive checklist to determine whether a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.”

for what it's worth, back in the early 2000’s, ICSA did not consider Mormonism a cult.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I’m not following your definition of cult, I guess. I’d run with the definition Kishkumen uses. But mostly I’m not following this at all. I’ve seen Mormons as forward and pushy as various types of Christians and I’ve seen all types of Christians as passive and friendly/sneaky as the Mormons you describe. I don’t know how many times I’ve been invited to a Christian event without knowing it was Christian anything, at the point of invite. Them sneaky bastards, trying to reel me in with a smile and a sparkle in the eye. As others have pointed out that seems to make anything a cult since personalities of all stripes seem to fit our various groupings.

Ah well, another Gad post going over my head, I guess.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:02 pm
Think about the Reptilians. The first Reptilians came to earth a long time ago. Alone, and away from their fellows. Yet, there was never the slightest flinching on their part that there may be any other truth in the universe beyond feasting upon the flesh of other species. For a cult to really be successful as a cult, it can't rely on keeping its members locked up in cages. The cage must be rooted deeply within the cultist's psyche. The missionary program no doubt has strengthened the cult aspect, because young men can go live in other parts of the world for two years and return unchallenged in the slightest by other ideas. Look at Jeff Lindsay, he goes off an lives in China, and instead of writing back on all the interesting culture he had been unaware of, he can't wait to publish this article skewering Chinese sci-fi by comparing it the majesty of Utah Mormonism. Not sure if you saw my thoughts about the new Netflix documentary about the Branch Davidians; got buried quickly in another thread. Anyway, what was shocking to me was how the child survivors interviewed were fully apologists for David Koresh, having now lived the majority of their lives outside the compound. Look at DCP, all those world travels and nothing has dented his fry-sauce Utah Mormonism in the slightest.

And so, think of these Reptilians. A Reptilian travels millions of lightyears to earth, perhaps lives alone per his or her assignment, and takes up an identity and a profession as a human. Perhaps he's a scientist, and has quite an illustrious and interesting career -- well, it's just fun and games, a ruse that doesn't matter. What's core is the true identity with the secret purpose. And so I imagine the high point of the cultist is when two Reptilians who don't know each other and operating in deep cover, meet each other in the field and are able to pick up on cues from each other, and share a moment of mutual recognition and perhaps they exchange a brief smile, each letting the other know that they know, and that they both know the real truth.

When you can take the Mormon out of Utah but can't take Utah out of the Mormon, that's when you know the cause will be successful. You don't need something like Yankee White to protect the secret, the agents protect the secret implicitly.
Nice work, Dean Robbers. But, for the sake of argument, doesn't this apply equally well to any committed believer finding himself in an alien, pardon the pun, culture?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:28 am
You are just playing apologetic word games here. Your mistake is in accepting that cults are necessarily bad. Instead you come here to insist on your church's idiosyncratic insider terminology, a move that is completely self-defeating in that it is exactly what anyone would expect from someone who is in a cult.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:07 pm
Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups

https://www.icsahome.com/articles/characteristics

“Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members, former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may have been manipulated, exploited, even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may be helpful in assessing a particular group or relationship.
Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine whether there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a “cult scale” or a definitive checklist to determine whether a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.”

for what it's worth, back in the early 2000’s, ICSA did not consider Mormonism a cult.
Thanks, msnobody. Interesting that an organization devoted to the study of cults does not think of the LDS Church as such. I think that is a fair assessment. On the other hand, I do see why others view the LDS Church as culty. After all, the church has a system of temple worship that excludes outsiders (both physically and in terms of access to certain information), that gets its members to pledge literally everything to the church, and that requires members to lead a lifestyle and dress in a way that sets them apart from the rest of modern society.

Now, my view is that the problem here is the prejudice against cults, not cults per se. There are culty aspects of lots of religions. Isn't the cloistered life of most of Christianity kinda culty? I would say that the prejudice against cults is coming from a certain narrow perspective about what a normal religion should be. People panic when their friends, family, and neighbors take up lifestyles that socially isolate them. Those are the breaks, no? Sometimes people make bid decisions that have a strong, negative social impact on others. Like divorce, for example.

Should people be free to give their lives over to a cult? I say yes. People can join a monastery, and there is not movement having a hysterical meltdown over that. That's because being a monk has the backing of an ancient and more or less accepted cultural tradition. Joining a cult should be the same thing. I am not saying that there are no negative repercussions for the people who join cults and for those who know people who join cults, but at some point we have to decide whether we are going to be truly committed to freedom of choice or we will continue to tell other people how they should live while hypocritically pretending to believe in freedom of choice.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:25 pm
People can join a monastery, and there is not movement having a hysterical meltdown over that. That's because being a monk has the backing of an ancient and more or less accepted cultural tradition. Joining a cult should be the same thing.
One difference that comes to mind is that people in monasteries are not having children and raising them to be monks.