Angels in Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Angels in Mormonism

Post by msnobody »

Got a question. Are angels in Mormonism any different than in evangelical Christianity (messengers)?

I had an LDS missionary today ask me to pray for their investigators who are working toward being able to be baptized. I’m thinking probably they are working to resolve some kind of WoW issue. Anyway, the missionary said, “Pray for help from angels to be baptized.” That seemed odd to me, but maybe he just meant angels as messengers.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Moksha
God

Re: Angels in Mormonism

Post by Moksha »

We know that some LDS angels carry swords and are not afraid to use them. They have also served in the cupid capacity for Joseph Smith. Also, they work the late night shift and can shake hands.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I believe the idea is similar, but angels administer God's work which includes being messengers among other things. Given they can be premortal or postmortal beings, I recall the main requirement is they have to belong to this earth, ss in they either will or have gone through mortality here. In the capacity of being ministering angels I think the missionary's comment makes sense.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:00 am
I believe the idea is similar, but angels administer God's work which includes being messengers among other things. Given they can be premortal or postmortal beings, I recall the main requirement is they have to belong to this earth, ss in they either will or have gone through mortality here. In the capacity of being ministering angels I think the missionary's comment makes sense.
I didn’t know that. So, yet another divergence from biblical Christianity. If I understand what you are saying correctly, angels become human, and I guess die, and go back to being angels. As far as I know, the church doesn’t teach that every human being is or will return to be angels, does it?

I had a realization that I’m really getting old yesterday. It occurred to me that these new missionaries I’ve met were still in the pre-existence when I interacted with the ones I got to know well back in the early 2000’s. More years behind me than in front of me.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:56 am
msnobody wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:01 am
Got a question. Are angels in Mormonism any different than in evangelical Christianity (messengers)?

I had an LDS missionary today ask me to pray for their investigators who are working toward being able to be baptized. I’m thinking probably they are working to resolve some kind of WoW issue. Anyway, the missionary said, “Pray for help from angels to be baptized.” That seemed odd to me, but maybe he just meant angels as messengers.
We know that some LDS angels carry swords and are not afraid to use them. They have also served in the cupid capacity for Joseph Smith. Also, they work the late night shift and can shake hands.
Angels working graveyard shift. :D
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I’m reading on the church’s website. May return to discuss.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:44 am
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:00 am
I didn’t know that. So, yet another divergence from biblical Christianity. If I understand what you are saying correctly, angels become human, and I guess die, and go back to being angels. As far as I know, the church doesn’t teach that every human being is or will return to be angels, does it?

I had a realization that I’m really getting old yesterday. It occurred to me that these new missionaries I’ve met were still in the pre-existence when I interacted with the ones I got to know well back in the early 2000’s. More years behind me than in front of me.
Angels aren't different, it's more of a job description than a type of being. Adam was the archangel Michael, for example.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Every time we hear a bell ring, does that mean an angel got its wings?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Always remember that there is a reason why that angel had to say "do not fear".
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

DaveIsHere wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:27 pm
Always remember that there is a reason why that angel had to say "do not fear".
Tell me DiH, what I need to know about Alma 32. I’m a never-LDS. Missionaries are calling me tomorrow to discuss it.