The Interpreter is sticking with Tapirs. Chariots aren't chariots and more.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: The Interpreter is sticking with Tapirs. Chariots aren't chariots and more.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Apparently the word "sled" was unknown to Joseph.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't think Dr. Hales will be back to respond. He just wanted to do a drive-by chiding and leave.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:22 pm
I don't think Dr. Hales will be back to respond. He just wanted to do a drive-by chiding and leave.
Note, that "drive-by" in the dictionary doesn't mentioned wheels.

Double-check-mate.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:23 pm

My dear Doctor Steuss, I'm afraid you're mistaken and in order to ensure accuracy as we strive on this board, I will explain the correction:

Joseph Smith was well aware of the use of the sled and by what means one may pulled:

Joseph Smith, 25 June 1834 • Wednesday wrote:Joseph Smith Journal

I left Rush Creek the same day in company with David Whitmer and two other brethren for the western part of Clay County.

<snip>

As it was impossible to obtain coffins, the brethren rolled them corpses in blankets, carried them on a horse sled about half a mile; and buried them in the bank of a small stream, which empties into Rush Creek, all of which was accomplished by dark.

So, here we are given a perfect example of a horse pulling a sled on dry ground in the middle of summer carrying corpses. Thus we can infer that Joseph Smith was absolutely aware of the difference between a sled and a chariot which are specifically mentioned multiple times in the Book of Mormon in a context in which everyone can easily understand except for Brian Hales.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr Exiled wrote:

He's a big baby that could use a good spanking.

:lol:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:55 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:23 pm

My dear Doctor Steuss, I'm afraid you're mistaken and in order to ensure accuracy as we strive on this board, I will explain the correction:

Joseph Smith was well aware of the use of the sled and by what means one may pulled:

Joseph Smith, 25 June 1834 • Wednesday wrote:Joseph Smith Journal

I left Rush Creek the same day in company with David Whitmer and two other brethren for the western part of Clay County.

<snip>

As it was impossible to obtain coffins, the brethren rolled them corpses in blankets, carried them on a horse sled about half a mile; and buried them in the bank of a small stream, which empties into Rush Creek, all of which was accomplished by dark.

So, here we are given a perfect example of a horse pulling a sled on dry ground in the middle of summer carrying corpses. Thus we can infer that Joseph Smith was absolutely aware of the difference between a sled and a chariot which are specifically mentioned multiple times in the Book of Mormon in a context in which everyone can easily understand except for Brian Hales.
Thank you my dear Shulem for bringing to our collective attention this dark and dreary account from Joseph's journal. I'm sure you'll note that this was over 4 years following the completion of the Book of Mormon. During this time, our Prophet Translator had undoubtedly had substantial further education and instruction at the hands of Nephite angelic messengers. At the time, he did not know what a sled was. Later, he found out what one was (as it was the mode of transportation the battle rhinos, also known as curelom, pulled), and just in time to be able to write about "as a man."
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:26 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Note, that "drive-by" in the dictionary doesn't mentioned wheels.

Double-check-mate.
Well played, Sir!!

I cannot imagine that a drive-by shooting by travois would be very effective
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Interpreter itself is a drive-by journal.

Throw crap at a wall and watch none of it stick. It just slides straight down into irrelevance and obscurity.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
I'm not convinced that the poster was actually Brian Hales. My money's on Richard Nygren's third cousin twice removed.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Brian Hales wrote:Chariots with wheels are not described in the Book of Mormon.

Chariots with wheels are not described in the Doctrine and Covenants either!

D&C 62:7 wrote:I, the Lord, am willing, if any among you desire to ride upon horses, or upon mules, or in chariots, he shall receive this blessing, if he receive it from the hand of the Lord, with a thankful heart in all things.

But chariots always have wheels, right Brian?

Duhh.
HA! Nice stick on the landing Shulem. I give you a perfect 10 score on that landing.