Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm
In 2012 he posted a breathless defense of Dan Peterson after the ouster.

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/blo ... -narrative
Mike Parker disagreed with the Maxwell position that scholastic journals should not be a vehicle for hit pieces. Hit pieces are the bread and butter of guerilla apologetics.

Mormon Apologetics
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MormonDiscussionInc
Sunbeam

Post by MormonDiscussionInc »

Notice he claims to be willing to answer honest sincere questions but never publishes my list of honest sincere questions nor does he answer them other than the one that he thinks he can answer safely. Again my Questions:

When the story first went public, you claimed to be clueless to knowing anything about Nygren going so far as to say I "accused me (Parker) of claiming to be a Richard Nygren, SUPPOSEDLY a black man" and that you "had no idea what (Reel) was talking about" only to later admit your friend (Boylan) created Nygren, and that you knew about it immediately, and fully understood the creation was a black man given the location of Birmingham, Alabama.

You went into my former place of employment under false pretenses to confront me and ended up hashing this out with my son and threatening a lawsuit while knowing the whole time you were were actually guilty of doing what I reported (you allowed the Nygren persona to persist and seemed very comfortable with be referred to as Richard Nygren.

Claimed you couldn't clear up the Nygren issue so long as his real identity was not known as such would be dishonest if you claimed to be Nygren and confusing if you denied it. Yet even when you had opportunity after being outed as Mike Parker you still didn't clear up the issue. Also why would it be confusing to clear up being alleged to be Nygren, especially in light of other evidence where you clearly had no problem denying being Smoot, Peterson, or Kraus?

If you and Boylan are friends and Boylan created Nygren without your knowledge and you were uncomfortable with the Nygren persona, why didn't you tell Boylan to retract it? and why wouldn't he retract it on his own... you guys are friends on the inside of a secret right?

Why wouldn't you after imposing that you would be in the live chat of the Show where someone posing as Richard Nygren commented, immediately comment as yourself to ensure that no one make the assumption that you were the one posing as Nygren? Why did you allow it to stand unquestioned if you were so adamantly opposed to be associated with Nygren?

Why did you threaten a lawsuit against me when you knew you were lying about not knowing anything about a Richard Nygren and had no case based on the evidence we presented?

Why did you put doubt in the mind of your readers by suggesting a false representation about my effort to reach out to all 5 persons involved when I clearly made a reasonable attempt to reach all 5 men and it was they who were avoiding interacting with me?

Why did you seemingly suggest to your audience implicitly that you were in fact Nygren?

Why if you wanted to steer clear of being seen as claiming to be Richard Nygren, why did you respond to a question directed at Richard Nygren specifically?
Mormon Discussion Inc is a non-profit that seeks to help others deconstruct unhealthy systems and reconstruct their lives One Episode At a Time MormonDiscussionPodcast.org
MormonDiscussionInc
Sunbeam

Post by MormonDiscussionInc »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:33 pm
I decided to help Parker out, in the event he reads this. Try this Mike:

Hey everyone, I need to address this once more. After much contemplation I now see how my actions contributed to the ruse that I was a black Latter-day Saint from Alabama. The claim was explicitly made by my friend and I did not in anyway try to correct him. It was incredibly inappropriate all things considered. I naïvely thought it was an innocent ploy to help conceal my real identity and to give a poke at those Latter-day Saints whom I criticize. But I didn’t think about how it might look, or any racial ramifications. It’s no question I’m white and as such I didn’t realize the problem with my actions. I’m encouraging my friends to apologize too. I don’t think they meant any real harm.

Mike, add something about how you respect those of other races and that you have much to learn. Also include how this whole fiasco wasn’t bill reels fault and you’d be set.
This is what I would have done.
Mormon Discussion Inc is a non-profit that seeks to help others deconstruct unhealthy systems and reconstruct their lives One Episode At a Time MormonDiscussionPodcast.org
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Does anyone have a link to the Pynakker podcast where he addresses "Richard Nygren"?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

TwoCumorahFraud wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:50 pm
Purging Mike Parker?

https://interpreterpeerreviews.blogspot ... arker.html
Wow. He’s been memory hole’d. I think he could’ve survived his self-inflicted wound had he just offered up a mea culpa like DS posted.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:55 pm
Does anyone have a link to the Pynakker podcast where he addresses "Richard Nygren"?
At about 1:42 Reel posts a clip. In it, Pynakker tells the story and says "so Richard don't misquote me."

As in Richard Nygren. Parker responds by correcting the misquote.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:16 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:55 pm
At about 1:42 Reel posts a clip. In it, Pynakker tells the story and says "so Richard don't misquote me."

As in Richard Nygren. Parker responds by correcting the misquote.
Got it. So, Parker was originally responding to this podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2_o_WCdO4

Then, in this later episode of Mormon Book Reviews, Pynakker tells the same story that he told on Bill Reel's show. He says that he got in touch with the B.H. Roberts Foundation (!) in order to try to reach Pan/Parker/Nygren, and pass along his complaint about being misquoted.This episode, where Pynakker addresses "Richard," is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKnMTARdiw

The story begins at around the 9:00 mark.

So, yeah: Parker is pretty much caught red-handed here. He was apparently totally okay with making a correction that was directed at "Richard," despite his protests that he "hasn't posed as a Black man."
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:34 pm
Mike Parker disagreed with the Maxwell position that scholastic journals should not be a vehicle for hit pieces. Hit pieces are the bread and butter of guerilla apologetics.
Fixed it for you:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

TwoCumorahFraud wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:50 pm
Purging Mike Parker?

https://interpreterpeerreviews.blogspot ... arker.html
I can't blame Interpreter for wanting to bury Mike Parker's contributions. Apparently he was happy to use the racist fiction that alt-right Mopolotroll Boylan created for him to hide behind.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow