Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Re: Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:24 pm
Historically there have been attempts to harm people’s employment and interfere with their lives in other ways. I have heard of such things from the mouths of the targets themselves.
I know one person that Boylan targeted. It's a rather self-defeating behavior. "Let me show you the love of heavenly father by trying to destroy your life." Nice job.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:01 pm

Yes it is. After i posted documentation of Peterson's repeated plagiarisms, he commented several times that he considered himself a "vctim" of my "attacks."

A thoroughly unreputable neo-nazi poster from here (see the username Smokey) told Peterson who he thought i was, and Peterson immediately posted the name, the profession, and the place of employment of this woman on his patheos site, and identified her as the person "attacking" him for his plagiarism.

He and Smokey were both wrong, which he eventually admitted, but the very fact that he would be so willing to immediately doxx a person, much less on the word of such an unsavory character, simply because he was upset about being caught in his dishonesty, told much about his lack of integrity.
I can see where Robert Boylan gets it from. A Facebook page that is critical of Mormonism made a single post that was critical of Boylan. Another amateur mopologist told Boylan who he thought it was and Boylan put in the time to research and post a bunch of this guy's personal information on his vacuous blog. Some of the information was of this guy's family, including the phone number of a relative who has alzheimers. The guy who Boylan doxxed didn't run the page and hadn't even heard of Boylan before this.

Tl;dr Boylan doxxed an old man with alzheimers because he mistakenly thought the old man's relative said something critical of him.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MsJack wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:12 pm
Marcus wrote:
Yes it is. After i posted documentation of Peterson's repeated plagiarisms, he commented several times that he considered himself a "vctim" of my "attacks."

A thoroughly unreputable neo-nazi poster from here (see the username Smokey) told Peterson who he thought i was, and Peterson immediately posted the name, the profession, and the place of employment of this woman on his patheos site, and identified her as the person "attacking" him for his plagiarism.

He and Smokey were both wrong, which he eventually admitted, but the very fact that he would be so willing to immediately doxx a person, much less on the word of such an unsavory character, simply because he was upset about being caught in his dishonesty, told much about his lack of integrity.
That is indeed very troubling, Marcus. Wow.
It is. My main worry is that this person received inappropriate emails from Peterson's followers, or maybe even Peterson himself. Or worse yet, Midgley or kiwi. Can you imagine? I haven't seen any news like that, so i am assuming the person had the normal reaction, i.e to ignore weird emails. Hopefully, that's what happened, because I would feel very badly if another person suffered because of a misplaced mopologist attack. I know peterson stockpiles his (alleged. Ahem. :roll: )weird emails, apparently so he can cry victim at any moment's notice, but in the real world, that's not what people do.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 pm
Marcus wrote:

I can see where Robert Boylan gets it from. A Facebook page that is critical of Mormonism made a single post that was critical of Boylan. Another amateur mopologist told Boylan who he thought it was and Boylan put in the time to research and post a bunch of this guy's personal information on his vacuous blog. Some of the information was of this guy's family, including the phone number of a relative who has alzheimers. The guy who Boylan doxxed didn't run the page and hadn't even heard of Boylan before this.

Tl;dr Boylan doxxed an old man with alzheimers because he mistakenly thought the old man's relative said something critical of him.
That's terrible. I hope the gentleman had some assistance in bypassing Boylan's bad behavior.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Finally, when I see a doctoral student simply belittling my religion and a man I accept as a prophet with clear slander, I wonder if such bigoted discourse ought to be called to the attention of those from whom he seeks a doctor’s degree. I believe that institutions of higher learning have a duty to weed out such candidates. I will follow up on that since I know several of the regents at St. Louis University.
Thanks for the link, MsJack. Wow! That is pretty low. Guy crashes an Orthodox blog quaffing down the rage-ahol, telling them that Orthodox theology is incoherent. Then he threatens a PhD student. Classy. Another Mopologetic low.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The response to the Mopologists is perfect:
in my opinion, your last post would have been perfectly fine without the last paragraph. Mentioning unproven “slander” and “bigotry” on someone else’s personal blog while threatening someone’s academic career isn’t pursuant to a good discussion. That’s why your comments were removed in the first place. Even if they hadn’t, you’re siliencing yourself. Frankly, I’m getting sick of reading what you’re writting simply because of the manner in which you do so. If I were acting admin of this site, I’d be prone to simply ban you or close the thread down (which would be a shame since I’m interested in seeing the rest of the discussion). Your behavior is continually not appropriate.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Then the target of the threat gets around to responding:
I have just now noticed your comments threatening my academic standing and in turn my family and livelyhood. This makes it personal and unacceptable. Just because I think your religion is false is hardly a good reason to go to the regents of a private CATHOLIC university and lobby them to dismiss me. In fact, I can’t think of anyone in the entire philosophy department who thinks your religion is true or even beyond blasphemy. So you might wish to inform the people you know of that fact as well.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:53 pm
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 pm

That's terrible. I hope the gentleman had some assistance in bypassing Boylan's bad behavior.
As far as I know nothing came of it. The host website responded to reports and took down the post with the personal information on it. It was up for a few months. This either means no one reads Boylan's blog or the average Mormon is a decent person.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:51 pm
It is. My main worry is that this person received inappropriate emails from Peterson's followers, or maybe even Peterson himself. Or worse yet, Midgley or kiwi. Can you imagine? I haven't seen any news like that, so i am assuming the person had the normal reaction, i.e to ignore weird emails. Hopefully, that's what happened, because I would feel very badly if another person suffered because of a misplaced mopologist attack. I know peterson stockpiles his (alleged. Ahem. :roll: )weird emails, apparently so he can cry victim at any moment's notice, but in the real world, that's not what people do.
I have spent the last year deep in cordial and healthy relationships all around me (in academia, in my family, in my friendships) and this all just feels so bizarre to me now, even though I remember it well. It's like looking back on another life.

I can't even fathom faculty at my school acting like this, or being "friends" with people who act like this.

I appreciate your kind words to me years ago on this forum, Marcus, and I hope you are well.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:14 pm
Thanks for the link, MsJack. Wow! That is pretty low. Guy crashes an Orthodox blog quaffing down the rage-ahol, telling them that Orthodox theology is incoherent. Then he threatens a PhD student. Classy. Another Mopologetic low.
Yeah, I hadn't read that exchange in years, but was SMH reading it again.

"How dare you . . . "

But, to be honest, I kind of wish we would all make more room in our hearts for others to be critical of our beliefs. I think we should be able to level criticisms--even harsh criticisms--of theologies we dislike, and accept harsh criticisms of our own beliefs, and not lose our cool. I had a mostly cordial exchange with a Mormon on Facebook a few months ago, about the Protoevangelium of James, and at some point he accused me of disparaging his beliefs. I said, "No, I haven't done that yet, although I'm certainly not above disparaging Mormonism. But I could call Mormon theology an abomination and say everyone who professes it is corrupt, and that'd only be me being as harsh with Mormonism as Mormonism is with traditional Christianity."

I think it's fine that certain Mormons despise Calvinism, that what's-his-face calls Protestantism "Satanic" (though I think he's obviously being intentionally inflammatory), and that an Orthodox PhD student "slandered" Joseph Smith. I personally think Joseph Smith was a theological sexual predator and that Mormon theology is misogynist--and I mean those things in the politest, most respectful, most academic ways possible.

We should all be able to think and politely say those things without anyone getting their dander up and contacting advisors or employers. Leave room in your heart for holy envy. But also leave room in your heart for holy abhorrence.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School