Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mike Parker is back from his 1 day break to smear Bill Reel

Post by Kishkumen »

Mike Parker LynnJohnson
14 hours ago
Great points, Lynn. As I’ve stated on my blog several time, I have no problem, hypothetically, with the Book of Mormon taking place in the American Midwest; I just find the historical, archaeological, and anthropological evidence to be so meager that I can’t take that proposal seriously until better research presents itself.
I find the evidence for the antiquity of the Book of Mormon to be so meager that I can’t take any of this seriously.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:53 pm
Mike Parker LynnJohnson
14 hours ago
Great points, Lynn. As I’ve stated on my blog several time, I have no problem, hypothetically, with the Book of Mormon taking place in the American Midwest; I just find the historical, archaeological, and anthropological evidence to be so meager that I can’t take that proposal seriously until better research presents itself.
Just to clarify here, Parker is now arguing that if the research were "better" he'd be okay with an "American Midwest" Book of Mormon setting???

So... to quote a favorite mopologist strategy,

"you mean, there's a CHANCE????"
A slight change of attitude would fix Parker's problem: He should simply assume that better research will present itself in the future.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Mike Not-Nygren PeterParker Pan got some great advice in the form of a recent comment on his hate blog:
AndrewMay 8, 2023 at 10:07 AM

Forgot about this page.

Peter, in the spirit of what President Nelson taught us a few weeks ago, let me kindly suggest you leave all this alone. Put it away. We need peacemakers now more than ever. Yes, we can be upset at what people like Johnathan say. But the best way to help the situation is to ignore it. Ignore them.

These 2 Book of Mormon Geography movements in the church are such a stumbling block for so many. It has created division and contention where it should never be. Both sides have plenty of blame, and so we just need to stop.

Is this really worth your time? Is it worth your time following everything he or Hannah Stoddard or Rod Meldrum say? I lost years of my life in this mire (on both sides) and I look back on that time with such regret. My journey as a disciple was hampered because of it and I was distracted from other things that were of far greater worth.

Let it go dear brother. Just ignore them. Let all this go. Look deeply at how much time you are devoting to this, and ask yourself if it's really what you should be spending your time doing.

Just food for thought. Have a good one man.
well said. But, although Peterson has argued repeatedly he doesn't accuse Heartlanders of being apostates, his favorite hate blog that he loves to trumpet apparently does:
PeterMay 8, 2023 at 2:24 PM

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Andrew. I would very much like to blog less and spend more time on things that are truly important in my life, and my hope going forward is to do that.

The Heartland movement, however, is much more than just differing geographies. As I’ve demonstrated many times—click the “Apostasy” link in the Tags section of any page on this blog—it is leading people away from faith in living prophets and into a sect of Mormonism that can only inevitably lead people out of the Church of Jesus Christ and into groups like those run by Denver Snuffer. These groups, like the Heartlanders, teach that modern apostles and prophets are leading the Church astray because they are not teaching their pet theories...
oh my.
I will try harder to find a way to attend to this with more compassion and less rancor...
that would be a significant change.

But, the accusation of apostasy against those following the Heartland movement is a pretty significant statement. Given it comes from an lds apologist who runs a hate blog, it may be less impactful, except that Peterson has championed it every step of the way. So, does Peterson still back this hate blog?
Last edited by Marcus on Tue May 09, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Once Mopologetics takes hold of a person’s soul, it is damn hard to shake. He is a man possessed, and he won’t give up the thrill of attacking those he deems to be lesser and dangerous.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

As I’ve demonstrated many times—click the “Apostasy” link in the Tags section of any page on this blog—it is leading people away from faith in living prophets and into a sect of Mormonism that can only inevitably lead people out of the Church of Jesus Christ
Every accusation is a confession.

It’s been noted throughout the years Mopologeticism is its own brand of Mormonism. They’ve split off the Brighamite sect, and have created their own shadow version of the Q15 Mormonism. The MI has set itself up as a mouthpiece for their brand, and their own shadow version of the Apostleship pumps out their propaganda, month after month. ‘If Salt Lake won’t make us General Authorities, by god we’ll do it ourselves!’

Mike Parker likes to hear himself spout off. He lives in a small, stupid fantasy world, and his hate blog is an outlet for his addiction, which is larping at insider baseball, so to speak. Unfortunately for Mike “Peter Pan” Parker, his lack of qualifications will always keep him stuck in Hurricane, Utah teaching “adult religion classes” and pounding away furiously at his keyboard in an impotent rage. No MI apostleship for you, bro.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I find it odd that the counsel is to ignore those who disagree with you instead of engage them and use your superior evidence and knowledge to convert them to your point of view... ignoring folks who differ in their views from you is not the missionary spirit. Of course, attacking them isn't either.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Does Peterson still back this [Peter Pan's Phantasmagoria] hate blog?
That would depend on whether the Pope orders the Filet of Fish sandwich on Friday. I imagine Dr. Peterson is also getting encouragement to follow President Nelson's admonition toward greater civility.
Last edited by Moksha on Tue May 09, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Who has "apostatized" due to the Heartlanders writings? Can Parker name a single person? And what if people have left the Church due to FARMS, FAIR, or Interpreter apologetics? No big deal, since these are Parker's friends? What if people leave the Church because DCP and Parker are *attacking* the Heartlanders?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:03 am
Unfortunately for Mike “Peter Pan” Parker, his lack of qualifications will always keep him stuck in Hurricane, Utah teaching “adult religion classes” and pounding away furiously at his keyboard in an impotent rage. No MI apostleship for you, bro.

- Doc
It would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

Imagine all the things he would be writing on his hate blog now if he was still anonymous. Anyone have a good new name for the next anonymous heartland hate blog?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:06 pm
Who has "apostatized" due to the Heartlanders writings? Can Parker name a single person?
Good questions. Maybe I haven't read enough of Parker's pettiness, but I thought this was very specific:
The Heartland movement, however, is much more than just differing geographies. As I’ve demonstrated many times—click the “Apostasy” link in the Tags section of any page on this blog—it is leading people away from faith in living prophets and into a sect of Mormonism that can only inevitably lead people out of the Church of Jesus Christ and into groups like those run by Denver Snuffer. These groups, like the Heartlanders, teach that modern apostles and prophets are leading the Church astray because they are not teaching their pet theories...
What "sect of Mormonism" is he referring to? What "groups"?