DCP's Role in the "Nygren" Debacle

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

DCP's Role in the "Nygren" Debacle

Post by Doctor Scratch »

With Mike "The Minstrel" Parker trying very hard to spin-doctor his way out of his culpability in the "perpetuation" of the Richard Nygren persona, I've noticed that Jonathan Neville has been quite insistent on pinning a significant amount of responsibility on Daniel C. Peterson for the shenanigans that have ensued. I think that Neville has a point: Dr. Peterson is the "head honcho" in terms of his influence over Mopologetics, and it's clear that people like Parker look up to him, and crave his approval. For decades, Peterson has helped set the tone of Mopologetics and he's been deeply involved in everything from the "Metcalfe is Butthead" affair, to the 2nd Watson Letter fiasco, to the John Dehlin "hit piece": all of these things happened, to no small extent, due to his involvement. Moreover, as Neville argues, the audience for "Neville Neville Land" likely would have been a lot smaller if it hadn't been for DCP repeatedly "plugging" it on "Sic et Non."

Bearing that in mind, I found the following exchange rather interesting:
DCP wrote:MDI: "Mike Parker refuses to publish the logical questions that walk out his narrative around this story being misrepresentative of how he wants to be perceived. Mr Peterson, why might Mike not want to address all of these except one."

Why, Mr. Reel, are you asking me? And why are you trying to hijack my blog for a conversation with Mike Parker? Please don't do so again.

I have essentially nothing to do with this supposedly epic saga that you and your friends have manufactured, and I am not even slightly interested in it. From my perspective, it's trivial, insignificant, and a bore.
The "MDI" here is, of course, MormonDiscussionInc., who also posts here, and it looks like he has already been banned/censored by Dr. Peterson. (The original post does not appear and has a label affixed to it: "The comment was marked as spam.") The thing is: if the "epic saga" is "trivial, insignificant, and a bore," then why censor MormonDiscussionsInc? Is this a case of DCP scrambling to detach himself from the whole "epic saga"? Did he, as President of the Interpreter Foundation, have a role in "purging" Mike Parker from the list of show hosts?

I cannot help but wonder if we have seen the last of the impact that this whole thing will have on "Interpreter." It may be that the "butcher's bill" hasn't yet been served. Meanwhile, it's very difficult to overlook the mirth that DCP and Stephen Smoot took over the idea that "Richard Nygren" was running "Neville Neville Land." And Dr. Peterson's rigorous denial about knowing anything whatsoever about Nygren is a further complication. In any case, it will be interesting to see what develops moving forward.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Re: DCP's Role in the "Nygren" Debacle

Post by drumdude »

Everything anyone needs to know about DCP is contained within this leaked email.
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:18 PM
To: <[M. Gerald Bradford] xxx@xxx.xxx> [18 other recipients, redacted for privacy]
Subject: Re: Charting a new course

Dr. Bradford:

You've achieved your goal. I resign.

I resign as Director of Advancement, effective immediately. You've already fired me as editor of the Mormon Studies Review.

My wife predicted that you would pull this while I was out of the country -- just as you used my absence last year to suppress Will Schryver's writing without discussion -- and, in fact, you have.

I realize now, too, that you've been plotting this for some time, and that, naïve fool that I am, I didn't even realize that I was playing chess before I had been checkmated.

There is nothing you can do to prevent this from being an absolutely spectacular propaganda triumph for those who oppose the Institute and despise me, so don't bother trying. As a matter of fact -- since the Institute leaks like a sieve -- I had already read today (on an apostate message board) that there was soon to be a shake-up in the editorial leadership of the Review. They know about it, and they're going to feast on this for years to come.

The timing of my dismissal, coming immediately after my public crucifixion over the John Dehlin debacle, guarantees that it will be read as an institutional rebuke of me and all my works. You could have waited a bit so that that conclusion would be less apparent, but, of course, you haven't. Frankly, I'm not surprised.

With my sacking now, and with what I presume to be the simultaneous dismissal of Lou Midgley and George Mitton and my other associate editors, which follows the utter marginalization of the scholars who once made up the board of directors and the complete ostracism of Jack Welch and, most recently, the re-alienation of Bill Hamblin, the process of driving away those who committed so much of their energy to the creation and building of FARMS and the Maxwell Institute continues apace.

You think it healthy. I do not.

And let's not pretend that the delay in this issue of the Review, or the slowness with which recent issues have appeared, is the justification for this move. You've never raised the matter with me before. In fact, your own actions have significantly contributed to the delay of this most recent issue. (It's substantially complete, though, and the Institute owes my associate editors the proper fees for their services. It's no fault of theirs that you're spiking this issue.)

I regard this as an utterly wrong-headed and disastrous decision, and will not pretend to support it. And not merely because it will subject me to enormous and quite undeserved public humiliation. It's a betrayal of Elder Maxwell, who explicitly approved of what we were doing. "No more uncontested slam dunks," he said. But now we're returning to the status quo ante, under which there were and will continue to be plenty of "uncontested slam dunks." It's a brazen repudiation of the mandate given to us by President Packer, who, when he spoke at the dinner during which we were officially entrusted with Elder Maxwell's name, praised two specific aspects of the Institute's work: the Middle Eastern Texts Initiative and its apologetic efforts. It's a betrayal of the promises we made to our leading donors, who explicitly asked us to do apologetics and, in some substantial recent cases, gave us major donations based on our assurance that we would continue to do so.

You place me in an extraordinarily difficult situation, as I'm supposed to be an advocate for a Maxwell Institute that, in my view, will soon no longer exist, and to maintain good relations with donors to the Institute to whom, in my opinion, we will now prove to have flatly lied. I cannot do that. I don't know what to do about the forthcoming Development Council Turkey trip that I conceived, since several of the people who are slated to participate in it are going, at least partially, because I persuaded them to do so.

I feel obliged to try to make it a good trip and to go, but it will, I think, be my last effort on behalf of the Maxwell Institute, and I won't solicit a nickel more for the Institute from any donors. Given their interests, I think their money should go elsewhere. And, though I won't be so disloyal as to solicit funds from them for anything else during the trip to Turkey, I will feel entirely free to do so thereafter. And I'll be vocal about why I no longer regard the Maxwell Institute as an appropriate recipient of their money. I will explain my resignation, and my reasons for it, in a note to members of the Development Council after the conclusion of the Turkey trip but prior to the October PLC meeting. I do not feel that I can do otherwise and maintain my integrity. I've built up a good relationship with the members of the Smith Family Foundation; good luck in maintaining that.

I agreed to give a private tour to the Holy Land -- the trip that I'm currently on -- partially in the hope of interesting a PLC donor in giving to the Maxwell Institute. We're getting along well, but I'm not going to mention the Institute to him any more. Nursing and Athletics are perfectly adequate continuing recipients of his gifts. And I think I can safely predict that, even without my saying much, you will, with my dismissal, instantly lose one very specific annual donation.

Please note that I have not resigned as editor in chief of METI. I will not let you have that so easily. I founded it. It was entirely my idea. I brought it into the Institute. You'll have to explicitly fire me from that position in order to get rid of me altogether. And I won't take it lightly when you do.

I understand that some contract issues may be affected by my resignation as Director of Advancement. I trust that we can work those out in a civil manner. Pending my dismissal from METI, I will insist that I continue to be compensated as a director in my role, which I will now have more time for, as its editor in chief. I also expect my usual fee as editor of the issue of the Mormon Studies Review that you've killed. It was finished and ready to go.

Very seriously yours,

Daniel C. Peterson
Tiberias, Israel

Minimize. Distract. Censor. Do whatever it takes to protect the brand.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I get it. DCP has fostered a certain kind of atmosphere in Mopologetics, but that doesn’t mean he wants the hassle of taking responsibility for it. He did what he was asked to do, and he still does. He fights critics as his offering on the altar, and he embraces all those who follow him in that fight. But does he really want to deal with all of their bad decisions? If he made bad decisions, does that mean he should take the blame when others follow what they think his example indicates?

Understandably no.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:29 pm
I get it. DCP has fostered a certain kind of atmosphere in Mopologetics, but that doesn’t mean he wants the hassle of taking responsibility for it. He did what he was asked to do, and he still does. He fights critics as his offering on the altar, and he embraces all those who follow him in that fight. But does he really want to deal with all of their bad decisions? If he made bad decisions, does that mean he should take the blame when others follow what they think his example indicates?

Understandably no.
Yes. DCP likes to use people and throw them away when they no longer serve his interests.

😪
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“Mike Parker” wrote: The real reason I’m no longer appearing as part of the Interpreter Radio lineup is that I stepped away from it last summer because my life had simply become too hectic, and I needed to spend Sunday evenings with my family. That’s all.

All of the old shows I appeared on are still on the website; I’m just no longer a current host. By my own choice. Eight months ago.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a textbook example of the level of research the Jonathan Neville does before he publishes his views. He’s the clown car of investigative research.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so shockingly disgraceful.

—Mike Parker [“Peter Pan”]
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

So yesterday NNL was sadly necessary.
Today he couldn’t give a hoot?
BS.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think Mike “Peter Pan” Parker needs to ask DCP who deleted his digital presence from the Interpreter instead of lying about it on his Neville Neville Land hate blog.

This is crazy. We’re the only ones telling Mike Parker the truth, and actually trying to save his dopey ass from DCP and his dopey cadre of muppets. We care more about Mike getting healthy than they do. Bananas.

- Doc

eta: I found if you use the search bar within the Interpreter website and search “Mike + Parker” this will come up:

https://interpreterfoundation.org/?s=Mike+Parker

One of the links still has this infamous nod by Kraus to Mike Parker and Peter Pan:
[Author’s Note: I would like to thank Mike Parker and Gregory L. Smith for reviewing an earlier draft of this review and offering helpful suggestions, as well as my other family and friends (especially my father) who helped edit and offer clarifying remarks. I would also like to thank the pseudonymous “Peter Pan” who offered encouragement as I wrote this review.]
Whoever deleted Mike Parker from the Interpreter’s Author page is a lazy bones because he still has a fairly searchable presence on the site.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP wrote:MDI: "Mike Parker refuses to publish the logical questions that walk out his narrative around this story being misrepresentative of how he wants to be perceived. Mr Peterson, why might Mike not want to address all of these except one."

Why, Mr. Reel, are you asking me? And why are you trying to hijack my blog for a conversation with Mike Parker? Please don't do so again.

I have essentially nothing to do with this supposedly epic saga that you and your friends have manufactured, and I am not even slightly interested in it. From my perspective, it's trivial, insignificant, and a bore.
Nothing says "I am not even slightly interested " more than scrubbing Mike Parker from the Interpreter Foundation's website.

DCP gets caught lying again.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Mike Parker intoned
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a textbook example of the level of research the Jonathan Neville does before he publishes his views. He’s the clown car of investigative research.
I have yet to see a single significant item of actual investigative original research from Parker showing a legitimate ancient Lamanite or Nephite ruin, artifact, writing, which the world's scholars can accept and agree on because it logically makes sense, and is physically cohesive with what the church says about the reality of the Book of Mormon.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:29 pm

Understandably no.
The amazing thing is he really is brainwashed into believing he is literally and actually doing Jesus's work for and with him...