What Is Wrong With William Schryver? Can Someone Please Help Him?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: What Is Wrong With William Schryver? Can Someone Please Help Him?

Post by malkie »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:47 pm
Nimrod wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:41 pm
Will crashed and burned years ago on the rocks of facts and logic in his vain attempt to save the Book of Abraham with his ill-conceived cipher theory (and hi-res photos of the papyri and KEP). He doesn't seem to have healed, just redirected his 'efforts.' Perhaps the Elon Musk version of Twitter will give him safe haven to flog his outlandish ideas.
The Book of Abraham is so obviously fictional that trying to defend literal translation theories seems to break people. Nibley, Gee, and Schryver all seem to have been badly damaged by the effort.

The catalyst theory seems to be a lot better for the soul, even if the evidence for it is indistinguishable from the truth that Book of Abraham is made up.
But there's a great model for them to follow. Just ask Philo, Kevin Graham, and Shulem if it's possible to recover from the damage inflicted by Book of Abraham apologetics..
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
sansfoy
Nursery

Post by sansfoy »

The ironic thing is that the Book of Abraham has some of the best, most original LDS doctrine of any of the standard works, yet is the one that is the most obviously just made up whole cloth from Joseph Smith's imagination.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

sansfoy wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:26 am
The ironic thing is that the Book of Abraham has some of the best, most original LDS doctrine of any of the standard works, yet is the one that is the most obviously just made up whole cloth from Joseph Smith's imagination.
Sansfoy, I am wondering what you are thinking of here. Perhaps my memory is clouded over by concern for the priesthood eligibility doctrine in the book so I do not remember any of the interesting or potentially valuable doctrines presented in the book. May I ask what you are thinking of?
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:19 pm
sansfoy wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:26 am
Sansfoy, I am wondering what you are thinking of here. Perhaps my memory is clouded over by concern for the priesthood eligibility doctrine in the book so I do not remember any of the interesting or potentially valuable doctrines presented in the book. May I ask what you are thinking of?
Sansfoy may be thinking of something different, but the notion that we existed as intelligences and then as spirits before (pre-existence) being born mortal are, If I recall correctly, ideas that go back to the BoAbr.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Nimrod wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:58 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:19 pm

Sansfoy may be thinking of something different, but the notion that we existed as intelligences and then as spirits before (pre-existence) being born mortal are, If I recall correctly, ideas that go back to the BoAbr.
The plurality of Gods, the idea of Kolob, the curse of Cain, are some more ideas that come to mind.