What Is Wrong With William Schryver? Can Someone Please Help Him?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: What Is Wrong With William Schryver? Can Someone Please Help Him?

Post by Dr Exiled »

I agree with Gadianton as far as mere disagreement with the orthodoxy doesn't necessarily mean mental illness. Far from it. Where there is free speech there is bound to be disagreement, even with questions of war. Our leaders should be questioned. Censorship isn't the answer, if anyone is thinking along those lines. It quickly becomes the Mormon church where obedience is worshiped over reason and we become the fascists we supposedly are fighting.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:12 pm
I agree with Gadianton as far as mere disagreement with the orthodoxy doesn't necessarily mean mental illness. Far from it. Where there is free speech there is bound to be disagreement, even with questions of war. Our leaders should be questioned. Censorship isn't the answer, if anyone is thinking along those lines. It quickly becomes the Mormon church where obedience is worshiped over reason and we become the fascists we supposedly are fighting.
As far as I know, no one is questioning his right to say what he is saying.

Everyone has the right to say what they want, but they don’t have the right to be respected while saying it.

Plenty of people, like DP, forfeit any respect due to them by the nonsense they utter in public. If they aren’t self aware, and are doing it for a mental health reason, they should be helped.

But generally I agree that calling him insane without other evidence is just banter. Those who know him personally would be the best judge.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:55 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:12 pm
As far as I know, no one is questioning his right to say what he is saying.

Everyone has the right to say what they want, but they don’t have the right to be respected while saying it.

Plenty of people, like DP, forfeit any respect due to them by the nonsense they utter in public. If they aren’t self aware, and are doing it for a mental health reason, they should be helped.

But generally I agree that calling him insane without other evidence is just banter. Those who know him personally would be the best judge.
The USSR used mental health as a reason to crush oppositional speech. https://timeline.com/sluggish-schizophr ... 12cec4f6e9

I usually bristle when someone makes the mental health claim hinting at the need to silence someone else.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

My point was not to excuse his disgusting speech, but to express genuine concern. Did he used to be like this? I don’t recall…at least, I don’t recall any particularly extreme views.

Edit: Actually, I do recall a lot of misogyny. That was horrible. Maybe he hasn’t changed?
From the end spring new beginnings.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Very good point. Being able to criticize our government is the only hope to keep it functioning as intended. As soon as we lose that ability we’re done.

Our enemies are trying desperately to exploit that, they think it’s a major flaw. Time will tell, I suppose. I hope Americans learn how to spot modern sophisticated propaganda and not fall victim to manipulation.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Those who know him personally would be the best judge.
I can't find the quote, but I'm pretty sure DCP made this very claim -- in order to give him a free pass, and to avoid criticizing him or disagreeing with him.

It would take a lot to convince me that his claims are the result of mental illness, even if he has something. HIs arguments are right in line with other evil people and they can't all be mentally ill. He's "competent to stand trial".
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:36 am
Those who know him personally would be the best judge.
I can't find the quote, but I'm pretty sure DCP made this very claim -- in order to give him a free pass, and to avoid criticizing him or disagreeing with him.

It would take a lot to convince me that his claims are the result of mental illness, even if he has something. HIs arguments are right in line with other evil people and they can't all be mentally ill. He's "competent to stand trial".
I take it he’s not invited to your next barbecue.
From the end spring new beginnings.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

He's definitely invited to my next barbecue, providing he will face Doc Cam in a kickboxing match, as he wimped out from that many years ago after bragging up a storm about how tough he is.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:30 am
He's definitely invited to my next barbecue, providing he will face Doc Cam in a kickboxing match, as he wimped out from that many years ago after bragging up a storm about how tough he is.
I know I certainly wouldn't want to face Doc Cam in a kickboxing match.

Completely off topic but very interesting and entertaining, former MMA champion and BYU wrestler Chael Sonnen has a very interesting story about BYU wrestling coach and Olympic champion Mark Schultz buying his own black belt in Jujutsu. Nobody dared say anything to Mark for fear of getting their butt kicked: https://youtu.be/fBBDQ6mIW0o?t=305
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Just fyi, William “Moscow” Schryver is safe these days. I’ve taken too many shrooms and am too old to want to let a Conservative tough guy prove to the world Liberals are pussies by beating me up. AM had his chance, but unfortunately for him, I gots no gas in the tank no mo’. I’d rather take it easy.

That said, I just took a look at his Twatter, and whoa, he’s definitely drank the Qanon/John Birch Society/Tri-Lateral Commission Kool-Aid. His account is an echo chamber of paranoia, russolust, and outright hatred for his own country. I don’t really know what windmills he’s tilting against, but he’s lapping up all the validation he’s getting from the comments.

I guess we broke him. *shrugs*

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.