What is IYO is the most crazy LDS teaching

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

What is IYO is the most crazy LDS teaching

Post by hauslern »

Heavenly father and spouse (s) have been creating spirit children who will need a earthly body. India will soon pass China in population. So more than several billion will have to wait until the millennium to have the missionary discussions. Will there be a point when the numbers waiting in the spirit world reach zero? Will Heavenly Father and Spouse(s) stop having spirit chidden? Think of the millions through no fault of their own have died in a tsunami , disease earthquakes, crime. These are just my thoughts. You all must have considered other absurd teachings
drumdude
God

Re: What is IYO is the most crazy LDS teaching

Post by drumdude »

1000 percent correct.

So many associated absurdities. The desperate need to baptize people now when it can easily be done there. The endless celestial sex. Being stuck with your husband and his multiple wives forever. Obsession with never ending families ties.

In the end, it’s all just a reflection of human insecurities about death and interpersonal relationships. If you think the idea of not living forever is terrifying, try imagining never being able to stop living.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Dan Petersen has made it his mission to argue that NDEs are real. To do this he has to accept the argument that man has a soul. In this he agrees with some Evangelical scholars who argue for the existence of the soul while other evangelical scholars argue against dualism (Nancy Murphy ed Whatever Happened to The Soul? No Soul no preexistence. Dan Petersen cites an evangelical philosopher Brandon Rickabaugh who in a conservative Philosophy journal questions "What does it Mean to Be a Bodily Soul"
https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/4 ... GGSLRBV4ZA
"Most philosophers think that interaction between a material and nonmaterial reality is impossible or unintelligible" p.317
"Contemporary neuroscience supports the total dependence of mental activity on neural activity"
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

The whole Garden of Eden in Missouri is top notch crazy.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

There are so many to choose from. The earth being 7000 years old hasn't been mentioned, but that has to compete with God issuing skin color curses. Becoming a prophet via corporate decision-making is a bit crazy sounding.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

All religion has teachings that are strange. Religion is predicated on the unprovable and highly unsubstantiated belief that some super being(s) cares about humanity and/or earth in some way. Mormonism just piles the crazy on the crazy.
For me, the strangest peculiarly Mormon belief is the entire temple ceremony. What a bizarre idea that a super being would require people to dress like that, engage in secret activities and passwords, in order to return to His presence. It reminds me of that great scene from the movie The Christmas Story when the Ralphie locks himself in the only room in his house where he can get privacy, the privy, and excitedly decodes his first super-secret message personal from little Orphan Annie, only to read "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine". "It's only a crummy commercial."
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

For me, the two most absurd teachings are that (a) Nephi was commanded by god to slay Laban rather than god simply assisting Lehi-Nephi get the plates and get safely away from Laban permanently, and (b) caffeine--ok in cold drinks, but not hot drinks, but hot drinks without caffeine are okay. Makes as much sense as doing the hoky-poky, putting your left foot in and shaking it all about. These are both sheer lunacy.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

The memory of our pre-existence has been wiped. And we supposedly agreed to it. I wonder what previous me was thinking the moment before the deprogramming begun? Oh crap? Here we go? Good bye previous me? I hope I win?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm
The memory of our pre-existence has been wiped. And we supposedly agreed to it. I wonder what previous me was thinking the moment before the deprogramming begun? Oh crap? Here we go? Good bye previous me? I hope I win?
Imagine how much more smug Mormon apologists must have been. Intolerably so.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:49 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm
Imagine how much more smug Mormon apologists must have been. Intolerably so.
This is what they were thinking right before the wipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woQooW-VCBE