Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:08 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 am
I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.
She was able to be sealed as a servant for all eternity to Joseph Smith, although that is not what she requested. Doesn't that seem worse than the TK-Smoothie theology of the former Mormon Church? Would you remain a member of the Church if you were consigned to clean the toilets and change the nappies on the spirit babies forever?
Racism, abuse, elitism etc.

White racist Mormons thought they were better than negroes because of pride that bubbled up from from their evil hearts.

Mormonism was a wretched religion and still is.

Beware of Chucky doll Brigham Young under your bed. He has a knife and is ready to lop it off. Death on the spot!

:o
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:08 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 am
I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.
She was able to be sealed as a servant for all eternity to Joseph Smith, although that is not what she requested. Doesn't that seem worse than the TK-Smoothie theology of the former Mormon Church? Would you remain a member of the Church if you were consigned to clean the toilets and change the nappies on the spirit babies forever?
drumdude wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:10 pm
Apparently the prominent former FAIR members and other former apologists who are now frequent posters here are a sore point.
I once mentioned that I too was an apologist because of my ability to make up stories, however, TruthDancer and Blixa told me that was insufficient. Perhaps I was lacking the earnestness to deceive.
I miss Blixa and Truth Dancer :(
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:26 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm
“compelling evidence to doubt” Mormonism.
consiggy,

Just think how much money you would have saved and how much more you would have today if you had only doubted earlier and acted on those doubts rather than doubt them.

I hate to rub it in but is sure was an expensive mistake on your part!

:lol:
All I can say in my defense is it’s not the only expensive mistake I’ve made in my life.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:28 pm
A lawyer is the Church Historian.

-_-
They tried a real historian once. It didn't work out very well.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:26 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm
“compelling evidence to doubt” Mormonism.
consiggy,

Just think how much money you would have saved and how much more you would have today if you had only doubted earlier and acted on those doubts rather than doubt them.

I hate to rub it in but is sure was an expensive mistake on your part!
Yeah, it sure was. Thank goodness your criticism applies only to consiglieri and neither to you nor any of the rest of us.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:57 am
Yeah, it sure was. Thank goodness your criticism applies only to consiglieri and neither to you nor any of the rest of us.
Oh come on my dear Dr. Shades. We were all in the same boat until we got out! Unfortunately, we left a lot of our hard earned money in the boat while we cleaned church toilets and obeyed the commandments of men. But hey, we all got out of the boat and life is good now. Right? Of course right!

But man, that salt does hurt. I can testify of that!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:34 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:28 pm
A lawyer is the Church Historian.

-_-
They tried a real historian once. It didn't work out very well.
:lol:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:30 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:51 am
Everybody Wang Chung,

perhaps I missed what you are speaking about. What was this compelling evidence to doubt which was discussing in this address? I did not even hear the word compelling. I heard , we all encounter reasons to doubt, hold fast to your foundation of faith. Sounded, to me at least, as awfully close to that not all historical facts are helpful facts view which I think BKP made famous.

look, I do not actually mind if you see the admission of the existence of reasons to doubt as a jolt to Mormon insulation. It perhaps registered to your mind differently than to mine. I heard a deflection turning all attention away from any possible reason to doubt. Then he went ahead and talked about leaders might make mistakes, another deflection. We likely both see the deflection and want to put attention back on the thing the speaker is asking his audience to ignore.
Did we watch the same devotional? What in the world are you rambling on about?
Everybody Wang Chung,

Puzzled, I went back to review this presentation. I am guilty of not being able to endure it in a complete form but only managed pieces. In review I find I missed where he said compelling reasons.

So you are correct.

I remain unconvinced that his advice, just choose not to doubt, is the best idea but it is a device to avoid actual considerations of reasons to doubt.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:39 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:30 am
Did we watch the same devotional? What in the world are you rambling on about?
Everybody Wang Chung,

Puzzled, I went back to review this presentation. I am guilty of not being able to endure it in a complete form but only managed pieces. In review I find I missed where he said compelling reasons.

So you are correct.

I remain unconvinced that his advice, just choose not to doubt, is the best idea but it is a device to avoid actual considerations of reasons to doubt.
It's all good. Love you man!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

sock puppet wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:52 pm
Hey, MG, what do you think McKay was referring to when he said "compelling evidence to doubt" Mormonism?
Problem of evil. Revelation in our day through prophets, existence of God, etc.

The list could go on.

The antidote which he presented was clear. I’ve come to believe that many folks that leave the church have not developed a firm testimony of Jesus Christ. As a result, they are prone to cracks in their foundation that then lead to their structure of faith being at risk.

Regards,
MG