Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by MG 2.0 »

consiglieri wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:44 pm
But applying this to the question of belief and evidence seems a bridge too far.

Are there compelling reasons to doubt the earth is round?

Are there compelling reasons to doubt the moon landing?

Are there compelling reasons to doubt I am typing this out?

The problem is that as soon as you can find one thing that this does not apply to, it undercut the entire argument that there must be opposition in ALL things, and that this subject is one of those things in which there must exist opposition.
Not so. There is no compelling reason to believe any one of your three examples as being reason to disbelieve in the truth claims of the LDS Church. They COULD be used as showing counter examples to logic and reason.

Again, opposition in ALL things.

Regards,
MG
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I’m sorry, MG.

I posted that for people with a brain in their head.
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

consiglieri wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:30 pm
I’m sorry, MG.

He wasn't really responding to you anyway, he was responding for all of those totally real "lurkers" that for sure agree with him but are just to scared of being "canceled" to join in and support him. His posts are performative for the audience he imagines he has. Kind of like how he lives his life according to a simplistic Mormon checklist because elohim the extraterrestrial voyer might be watching.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The switch that would connect, all at once, all of the monster computing machines of all the populated planets in the universe -- ninety-six billion planets -- into the supercircuit that would connect them all into one supercalculator, one cybernetics machine that would combine all the knowledge of all the galaxies.

Dwar Reyn spoke briefly to the watching and listening trillions. Then after a moment's silence he said, "Now, Dwar Ev." Dwar Ev threw the switch. There was a mighty hum, the surge of power from ninety-six billion planets. Lights flashed and quieted along the miles-long panel. Dwar Ev stepped back and drew a deep breath.

"The honor of asking the first question is yours, Dwar Reyn." "Thank you," said Dwar Reyn. "It shall be a question which no single cybernetics machine has been able to answer." He turned to face the machine. "Is there a God?" The mighty voice answered without hesitation, without the clicking of a single relay. "Yes, now there is a God." Sudden fear flashed on the face of Dwar Ev. He leaped to grab the switch. A bolt of lightning from the cloudless sky struck him down and fused the switch shut.
(Fredric Brown, "Answer")
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:40 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:08 am
She was able to be sealed as a servant for all eternity to Joseph Smith, although that is not what she requested. Doesn't that seem worse than the TK-Smoothie theology of the former Mormon Church? Would you remain a member of the Church if you were consigned to clean the toilets and change the nappies on the spirit babies forever?
We don’t know what Jane Manning’s state of existence is as we speak. What we do know is that she remained firm in her faith in Jesus Christ and the restoration of His gospel. I can’t help but think this will work in her favor.

Regards,
MG
So God may have seen the racist injustice of that Temple sealing and intervened to overturn it?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

consiglieri wrote:
I’m sorry, MG.

Another arrogant ________________ .

“That guy is one arrogant SOB.” The first time I listened to RFM that was my first, well maybe second, thought.

My understanding/perception has not changed.

Truthfully? I think that is a common pattern among critics and some apologists.

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:00 pm
consiglieri wrote:
I’m sorry, MG.

Another arrogant ________________ .

“That guy is one arrogant SOB.” The first time I listened to RFM that was my first, well maybe second, thought.

My understanding/perception has not changed.

Truthfully? I think that is a common pattern among critics and some apologists.

Regards,
MG
Nice uppercut, MG. You really got him there.

Now if only you had some muscle on those arms and that body of yours ....
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:00 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:44 pm

But applying this to the question of belief and evidence seems a bridge too far.

Are there compelling reasons to doubt the earth is round?

Are there compelling reasons to doubt the moon landing?

Are there compelling reasons to doubt I am typing this out?

The problem is that as soon as you can find one thing that this does not apply to, it undercut the entire argument that there must be opposition in ALL things, and that this subject is one of those things in which there must exist opposition.
Not so. There is no compelling reason to believe any one of your three examples as being reason to disbelieve in the truth claims of the LDS Church. They COULD be used as showing counter examples to logic and reason.

Again, opposition in ALL things.

Regards,
MG

Reasons to disbelieve the truth claims of the LDS Church?.....Book of Abraham. Child Brides. Kinderhook plates. Seer stones. Bank Frauds. .Sec Fraud. Mountain Meadows. Mark Hofmann.The September 6. Patriarchal blessings. Failed healings. Constant changing doctrine. Anachronisms. Lack of historical evidence. Shoot out at Carthage. Non disclosure agreements. Hiding historical information. Hiding finances. Changing conference talks. Doublespeak. Lying about electroshock therapy. Ignoring scientific evidence regarding archeology, evolution, cosmology, physiology, biology. Encouraging hate for LGBTQ individuals including physical violence. Current apostles disavowing their own children over a simple lunch. Lying about growth to encourage and bolster a false view regarding truth claims. Women's rights. Human rights. Soft stance on slavery. Failed prophecy. Native American Genicide. Handcart disasters. Changing definitions of words. And that is just a start.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:30 pm
sock puppet wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:52 pm
Hey, MG, what do you think McKay was referring to when he said "compelling evidence to doubt" Mormonism?
Problem of evil. Revelation in our day through prophets, existence of God, etc.

The list could go on.

The antidote which he presented was clear. I’ve come to believe that many folks that leave the church have not developed a firm testimony of Jesus Christ. As a result, they are prone to cracks in their foundation that then lead to their structure of faith being at risk.

Regards,
MG
I've come to believe that most folks that stay in the church cannot see beyond the end of their nose. Check mate.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:35 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Mg, this sounds so weird to me. I do not remember such instruction in the New Testament. I remember in Mormonism at least some memory of the understanding that faith is a gift from God not some tower you labor to create for yourself.

Testify until you have a testimony, how phony can you get?
My experiences on my mission years ago support the concept/idea that it is through the bearing of pure testimony of Christ that the Spirit is truly manifest.

I can’t deny it.

Some of you may have had similar experiences…and have denied it.

Regards,
MG
My experience on my mission years ago supports the concept/idea that it is through the bearing of pure testimony of Christ (etc.) that one brain-washes him/herself and misleads other people down the primrose path.

I cannot deny it.

MG knows it, down deep...and continues to deny it.
Last edited by sock puppet on Tue May 02, 2023 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats