Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by consiglieri »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:44 am
consiglieri wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 3:39 am
And yet MG continues to confound and amaze.
I would love to have you as a neighbor.

Regards,
MG
According to Jesus I already am.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 2:55 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:44 am

I would love to have you as a neighbor.

Regards,
MG
According to Jesus I already am.
Yes. But I would think it interesting and productive to have you as my actual neighbor next door.

Cyber space interactions are extremely prone to unreal and artificial relationships. It is face to face relationships which are truly real and meaningful.

Typically we don’t call our actual neighbors names or accuse them of not having a brain when we are friends next door.

And I would very possibly hesitate to label you as “arrogant” if I knew you personally. That’s just the way you come across online at times.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:42 am
Rivendale wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 am
Reasons to disbelieve the truth claims of the LDS Church?.....Book of Abraham. Child Brides. Kinderhook plates. Seer stones. Bank Frauds. .Sec Fraud. Mountain Meadows. Mark Hofmann.The September 6. Patriarchal blessings. Failed healings. Constant changing doctrine. Anachronisms. Lack of historical evidence. Shoot out at Carthage. Non disclosure agreements. Hiding historical information. Hiding finances. Changing conference talks. Doublespeak. Lying about electroshock therapy. Ignoring scientific evidence regarding archeology, evolution, cosmology, physiology, biology. Encouraging hate for LGBTQ individuals including physical violence. Current apostles disavowing their own children over a simple lunch. Lying about growth to encourage and bolster a false view regarding truth claims. Women's rights. Human rights. Soft stance on slavery. Failed prophecy. Native American Genicide. Handcart disasters. Changing definitions of words. And that is just a start.
As Elder McKay mentioned in his talk there are compelling reasons that some people might find to leave the church. Some of those are in your list. Some of them aren’t.

Again, opposition in all things. For some the threshold/bar is going to be set at a different place than it is for others. Factors to consider as thresholds are managed are context, 1st hand vs. 3rd hand sources of information, environment, cultural predispositions, faith vs. knowledge, spiritual capacity, residual fundamentalism, and so on.

Responses of different folks to those things you list along with others that can be mentioned are going to vary.

And again, faith and belief would not even be a ‘thing’ if it was not a REAL choice between variables that have real world meaning between what we perceive to be good/evil and everything in between. Nuance plays an integral part also as does black and white thinking. Throw in a world full of ambiguity and you have REAL opposition.

No doubt about that.

Regards,
MG
Everything you said could apply to any claim. Faith driven epistemology diverges from reality while scientific claims try to focus on justified true belief. Opposition in all things fails in the real world. I don't need an opposite class of physics to understand real physics. I don't need an opposite experience of marriage to understand how real marriages work. This world view seems to be only applied to beliefs that fail in the here and now. A blanket thrown over the sunk cost belief system that seems to be untangling from the forces of reality.