Rainy Day fund could be because of this.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Rainy Day fund could be because of this.

Post by Rivendale »

Just released from the LA Times.

Jury awards Riverside woman $2.3 billion in a sex abuse lawsuit involving the Mormon church. https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... eZU9tByD7k

It would be interesting to know how many of these are draining their massive hoard.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Rainy Day fund could be because of this.

Post by Dr Moore »

The church denied wrongdoing but settled its part of the lawsuit for $1 million in December, and the woman’s mother settled for $200,000 in February, according to news reports.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

This part of the story was torture to read
During the time she was abused, Doe disclosed the abuse to multiple members of the Mormon church, including a bishop.
Instead of notifying the police, the bishop gathered Doe, her mother and her stepfather into a joint meeting, speaking about repentance and instructing Doe to forgive her stepfather and forgive the bishop.

Doe then told another bishop about the abuse, but said that she was shamed into silence
by the other bishop and other counselors, who said she would go to prison and harm her family by disclosing the crime….

In 1997, Doe was in high school in Lake Elsinore and noticed her stepfather looking at her basketball teammates “in an inappropriate way,” according to the lawsuit. Doe told her basketball coach about the sexual abuse and the coach reported it to a counselor. Doe’s stepfather was arrested the same day
Two bishops let it go for years. Tell a coach? Guy arrested the same day.
Fifth Columnist
Nursery

Post by Fifth Columnist »

The church settled its portion of the lawsuit for $1M. The rest of the $2.3B award is against the abuser (a.k.a. unrecoverable). This doesn't sound much like a rainy day.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Fifth Columnist wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:13 am
The church settled its portion of the lawsuit for $1M. The rest of the $2.3B award is against the abuser (a.k.a. unrecoverable). This doesn't sound much like a rainy day.
Kirton McConkie I’m sure took credit for that.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This was also hard to read:
He pleaded guilty to all charges and was sentenced on 55 counts, according to the lawsuit. The stepfather spent three years in prison, according to news reports. Her mother and members of the Mormon church were in the courtroom to support Doe’s stepfather. Her mother remained married to him for two years after his conviction.
He raped and abused this girl for nine years. And he spent only 1/3 as long in prison?

And her mother and other good LDS folks went to the sentencing to support the child rapist?

I need to watch the goat video about thirty times now. 😢
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:24 am
This was also hard to read:
He pleaded guilty to all charges and was sentenced on 55 counts, according to the lawsuit. The stepfather spent three years in prison, according to news reports. Her mother and members of the Mormon church were in the courtroom to support Doe’s stepfather. Her mother remained married to him for two years after his conviction.
He raped and abused this girl for nine years. And he spent only 1/3 as long in prison?

And her mother and other good LDS folks went to the sentencing to support the child rapist?

I need to watch the goat video about thirty times now. 😢
And folks wonder why we don't leave the church alone...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dan Peterson just posted a couple talks about these latter days being a test of our character.

I agree with him completely. I just think he’s completely wrong about who is going to pass and who is going to fail said test…