Mormon at ages 11, 15, 24 is really Joseph Smith Jr., in disguise!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Mormon at ages 11, 15, 24 is really Joseph Smith Jr., in disguise!

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:54 pm
Shulem wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:52 pm
Probably not. I am a very private and shy person in real life.
How about just an audio appearance? Sorry to nudge you in this direction, but I would love to see how your work translates to that medium with you as its direct mouthpiece. In any case, I love this research. Keep up the excellent work!

I'll think about it. I'm retiring next summer so I will have lots of time on my hands after that...

I have more secrets to tell. If only you knew!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:57 pm
I'll think about it. I'm retiring next summer so I will have lots of time on my hands after that...

I have more secrets to tell. If only you knew!
Sweet! We're ready for your scholarly firehose.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

Shulem,

Did you note that Mormon said that at 15 he was "visited of the Lord," and in his earliest First Vision account Joseph Smith mentioned that he was 15 when he saw the Lord?

Also, Mormon grew up during a war with the Lamanites and a time when there were slippery treasures and such, which also parallel Joseph Smith's growing up.

There are unquestionably parallels between Joseph Smith and Mormon: they are closely parallel figures. I would hope everyone would recognize that. What people may disagree on is just the source and meaning of the parallels.
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Don Bradley wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:42 am
Shulem,

Did you note that Mormon said that at 15 he was "visited of the Lord," and in his earliest First Vision account Joseph Smith mentioned that he was 15 when he saw the Lord?

Also, Mormon grew up during a war with the Lamanites and a time when there were slippery treasures and such, which also parallel Joseph Smith's growing up.

There are unquestionably parallels between Joseph Smith and Mormon: they are closely parallel figures. I would hope everyone would recognize that. What people may disagree on is just the source and meaning of the parallels.
What's your take on the source and the meaning of the parallels Don?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Don Bradley wrote:
Shulem,

As a matter of fact, I did. See here and here on page 2.

Don Bradley wrote:

That too can be found on page 2.

Don Bradley wrote:

Right. But we don't learn about these particular parallels in Sunday school and the so-called apostles and prophets of Mormonism don't talk about them at the conference pulpit. They are not faith promoting from a certain point of view.

PS. Here are a couple of threads on this board you will find interesting and perhaps a bit provocative:

Terrestrial Forum Shulem cracks the code for The Book of Lehi/116 Lost Pages!!
Celestial Forum Book of Lehi and the 116-page Manuscript
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Why do the parallel discussions always seem to stop at Joseph?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Don Bradley wrote:
...there were slippery treasures ...
Slippery treasures
Slippery days
This is so fun to quote
In many ways!

Reading from Shulem
Always makes my day
Slippery Treasures
Fanny's in the hay.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:48 pm
Why do the parallel discussions always seem to stop at Joseph?

Parallels are what keep the fires of Mormonism going because without them there is nothing to show for. Take the Book of Abraham for example. Apologists can't do anything with the text of the Book of Abraham or the Facsimiles without trying to create fantastic parallels to make them interesting and yet it's all very convoluted and chock-full of contradictions of every variety.

I dare say that Don Bradley's testimony hangs on the need to formulate and justify parallels because the logical conclusion of evidence prove that Joseph Smith was perpetuating a massive pious fraud. Oh, I don't doubt that Bradley has experienced spiritual manifestations and yet those things are common to the human race in all religions -- but spiritual experiences don't make something true when it's really fantasy in which to play out and entertain ourselves on this lovely planet which we call, "earth." Mormon spiritual experiences? Been there, done that.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Interesting. However, I meant if Joseph disguised himself as Mormon, could it be that another person was disguised as Ammaron who handed the “plates” to Mormon? And the four sons of Mosiah are other people who are in disguise as well?

The “disguise” always seems to stop with “Joseph is Mormon.”

Why?
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

I ask because the original D&C used code names.

Fir example:

Mehemson: Martin Harris
Olihah: Oliver Cowdery

Every time I see a name in the Book of Mormon that is similar to Mahemson or Olihah I automatically insert Martin Harris or Oliver Cowdery as the disguised person.

So I wonder why no one else has done so - or if they have, is there a full-blown theory that reflects that attempt?