Midgley leaves Colvin’s homeland, but he just can’t leave her alone.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Midgley leaves Colvin’s homeland, but he just can’t leave her alone.

Post by Gadianton »

Shades wrote:??? How the Hell does he know whether she's been outside of New Zealand yet?
You know that's a good point...
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:55 am

??? How the Hell does he know whether she's been outside of New Zealand yet?
Midgley is going to be very upset to learn that Gina Colvin was in Salt Lake City on April 5th, 2014 to attend the Ordain Women action: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... event-but/

Just think of all the stalking Midgley could have done....
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

This is one of the significant reasons I have no respect for Peterson as a fellow professor. Below he tells a ridiculous story, completely bypassing that it is absolutely possible for Midgley to stalk Colvin, and still have other reasons to be in NZ. Does he really think people can't see what he is doing? Of course, the single most significant reason I don't respect him is his continuing (to this day) plagiarism of other people's intellectual works. He is nothing more than a dishonest thief, and deserving of no respect.

As you know, one of their crazier myths is the crackpot notion that your last trip to New Zealand was wholly motivated by a desire to track poor Gina Colvin down and harass her -- as if New Zealand doesn't have any intrinsic attractions of its own apart from stalking Ms. Colvin and as if, otherwise, you don't have any actual interests or background there. They invent the story and then they repeat it often enough that they seem to forget that they made it up in the first place. And then that bit of fiction becomes the foundation for yet further flights of malevolent fantasy.
What nonsense.

The fact that he tolerates and even encourages the abuse and scorn Midgley heaps on anyone not lds further degrades his online efforts.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

It's pretty clear what Midge was doing and why. He thinks he owns NZ/LDS history and will be damned if some upstart tries to take it away from him. He'll do whatever, including but not limited to traveling half-way across the world in an attempt to get in between a marriage of a perceived competitor.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:32 am
Shades wrote:??? How the Hell does he know whether she's been outside of New Zealand yet?
You know that's a good point...
Dr. Midgley did some good homework in preparation for his stalking expedition, having his friends in the hierarchy contact the Australian Area Presidency, as well as Dr. Colvin's stake president and bishop. I imagine he has maintained this pipeline of dossier information. Gemli did not occupy his sole attention. The faithful Australian leaders were more than happy to assist this official American dignitary with his surveillance.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:27 am
The fact that he tolerates and even encourages the abuse and scorn Midgley heaps on anyone not LDS further degrades his online efforts.
What Midgley did would be like if some critic traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to accost DCP's wife during church. I can only imagine the fulmination and apoplectic outrage we'd hear if something like that happened.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Marcus wrote:
The fact that he tolerates and even encourages the abuse and scorn Midgley heaps on anyone not LDS further degrades his online efforts.
What Midgley did would be like if some critic traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to accost DCP's wife during church. I can only imagine the fulmination and apoplectic outrage we'd hear if something like that happened.
Imagine the outrage if a critic showed up at the workplace of DCP’s wife. The double standard and hypocrisy of DCP knows no bounds:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Marcus wrote:
If by accost you mean, in an effort to get to DCP, they pretended to make friends with DCP’s wife by introducing himself under false pretenses, then announced that he and the wife were in agreement with the critic’s writings about DCP and that he had an ongoing friendship with DCP’s wife, and that he pitied DCP’s wife for having to be married to him, then yes I agree. Accost is the right word to use, given Midgley did all of those things.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Yeah just imagine the story.

“I happened to meet Dan Peterson’s wife near the area they live. I told her about what crappy apologetics Dan does and how toxic it is to the church and she agreed with me.”

I’m sure Dan wouldn’t have a problem at all with it. And for the record, I do pity your wife Daniel. I pity any wife whose husband keeps close friends like Midge.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Dr. Colvin not being there when Dr. Midgley swooped down with his talons ready to pounce must have caused some thoughts of regret when he returned to his motel room. Halfway around the world and no direct contact! Had he done sufficient marital damage with Dr. Colvin's husband? Why did those ward members look at him so strangely when he asked loudly if they still sold books by that queer? Why does he feel so sleepy when he hasn't taken his Metamucil yet? In the morning he realized that this will make a delightful tale for Sic et Non.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace